SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bumblebee

Quote from: jacobyjd on November 22, 2008, 03:06:19 PM
Quote from: Nitefly182 on November 22, 2008, 02:16:56 PM
I got an assignment from Dano of Beavis Audio Labs to make the smallest analog delay ever. I believe I have succeeded. There pretty much isn't room for air inside this enclosure. Every little bit of space is occupied by hardware, PCB, or wire. Controls for delay time and repeats. Delay level is an internal trim pot. Power by adapter only ;)

Betcha if you used 9mm pots, you could've put that trimmer as an external control... 

...just sayin'  :icon_biggrin:

Otheriwise, that is impressive. Did you do the SMD work yourself, or did you have it prefabbed?

Awesome build. I dig it.
Its a guitarfetish MOD board. SMD work is already done.

EDIT:LINK

earthtonesaudio

A couple things that will sound like nagging first:
That has to be a PT2399, right?  That's not analog.
If you used 9mm pots you could probably get all 3 controls outboard, like already suggested, but maybe even have room for a stack of coin cell batteries just to say you could use batteries in a pinch.

There, got that over with.  Now on to the praise:  Well done, Awesome job!  That's super cool.

Nitefly182

Quote from: earthtonesaudio on November 22, 2008, 06:16:49 PM
A couple things that will sound like nagging first:
That has to be a PT2399, right?  That's not analog.
If you used 9mm pots you could probably get all 3 controls outboard, like already suggested, but maybe even have room for a stack of coin cell batteries just to say you could use batteries in a pinch.

There, got that over with.  Now on to the praise:  Well done, Awesome job!  That's super cool.

According to Guitar Fetish they contracted a cpmpany to build a BBD in an SMD package. After hearing the pedal, I believe it. It doesn't sound like all the filtered PT2399 delays do. It sounds like an analog delay. There is a difference but its hard to explain.

The delay ;evel trim actually doesn't get very loud so I just set it to max. Its probably where I would set it anyway so that worked out well.

danielzink

Quote from: bumblebee on November 22, 2008, 05:50:41 PM
Quote from: jacobyjd on November 22, 2008, 03:06:19 PM
I got an assignment from Dano of Beavis Audio Labs to make the smallest analog delay ever. I believe I have succeeded. There pretty much isn't room for air inside this enclosure. Every little bit of space is occupied by hardware, PCB, or wire. Controls for delay time and repeats. Delay level is an internal trim pot. Power by adapter only ;)

Betcha if you used 9mm pots, you could've put that trimmer as an external control... 

...just sayin'  :icon_biggrin:

Otheriwise, that is impressive. Did you do the SMD work yourself, or did you have it prefabbed?

Awesome build. I dig it.
Its a guitarfetish MOD board. SMD work is already done.

EDIT:LINK

Between this and Solderman's stuff and the 1590 box thread - plus the other boards that guitar fetish makes.....you could have a pedalboard that would fit on a postcard......(that's exaggerating - but you get my drift).

I'm not shy - I'll say it - I already went and ordered one of these boards from guitarfetish - gonna put it in a 1590 - and I'm seriously looking at the other boards.

Dan

Thomeeque

Quote from: Nitefly182 on November 22, 2008, 06:26:46 PM
..That has to be a PT2399, right?..

According to Guitar Fetish they contracted a cpmpany to build a BBD in an SMD package..

What the label on IC says?
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

Barcode80

Quote from: Thomeeque on November 22, 2008, 07:24:12 PM

According to Guitar Fetish they contracted a cpmpany to build a BBD in an SMD package..

there is no true analog delay besides tape. i think that was they point earthtonesaudio was trying to make. But that pedal is FREAKIN' AWESOME...

Nitefly182

Its a proprietary chip number that doesn't exist in any online database. I dont remember the number now but its not a pt2399.

As far as the "analog delay isn't really analog" comments are concerned Im so sick of those arguments. They serve no purpose other than giving analog delay haters the thought they somehow beat the people that like analog delay. There was a long discussion about that on HC and it was such a waste of time.

Thomeeque

Quote from: Barcode80 on November 22, 2008, 07:29:56 PMthere is no true analog delay besides tape. i think that was they point earthtonesaudio was trying to make.

I don't think so.. ;)
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

Thomeeque

Quote from: Nitefly182 on November 22, 2008, 07:51:59 PM

Its a proprietary chip number that doesn't exist in any online database. I dont remember the number now but its not a pt2399.

Man, if this chip really is BBD based, it's pretty cool! It must contain lot more than BBD only (at least clock generator or buffers), since there is so little other active components on the board.. and that price.. hmm..

ForcedFire

I've been posting on the BYOC forum for the last few months. I've got a new DIY project I want to release in the next couple weeks so I thought I'd register here to share with more people. More on that later.

This thread is amazing, really great work by everyone who's replied. I thought I'd throw in some pics from my past builds, all are etched with Ferric Chloride:

Boss Super Overdrive SD-1 clone w/ true bypass:

Modded BC 109 Fuzz Face clone:

Paisley enclosure that I sold:

Vintage & Turbo RAT

Blue Train Overdrive (original design):

Tonebender:

EH Pulsar:

Bluesbreaker:

TS-808:

earthtonesaudio

Quote from: Barcode80 on November 22, 2008, 07:29:56 PM
there is no true analog delay besides tape. i think that was they point earthtonesaudio was trying to make. But that pedal is FREAKIN' AWESOME...

I just assumed it was a PT2399 because the board looks like what you'd expect to see on a PT2399 based pedal... Voltage regulator, op-amp, and delay chip along with a smattering of passive components.  I stand corrected, it seems.  Not sure I agree with your statement about tape being the only true analog delay, but it's probably best to start a new thread for that, if you want.

Regardless, that's cool to hear of a new delay chip.

Quote from: Thomeeque on November 22, 2008, 08:34:27 PM
Man, if this chip really is BBD based, it's pretty cool! It must contain lot more than BBD only (at least clock generator or buffers), since there is so little other active components on the board.. and that price.. hmm..

Ditto.

Thomeeque

Quote from: ForcedFire on November 22, 2008, 09:35:18 PM
..I thought I'd throw in some pics from my past builds..

Wow, that's amazing collection, real masterpieces (BB is my favourite)! They would made pretty impressive pedal-board :)

Renegadrian

A Buzz Fuss for a friend, it has been "christened" CHURCH FUZZ as my friend's surname is CHIESA (italian for "church")
BC108 and Millenium2. (thx to Auke for the suggestions)

Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

StephenGiles

Wonderful looking kit. Apparently my eldest grandaughter loves art & craft - probably sticky paper at almost 6, but I'll see what she does next week.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

cb951303

Quote from: ForcedFire on November 22, 2008, 09:35:18 PM
Modded BC 109 Fuzz Face clone:

this one is pure genius :D I like it!

Barcode80

Quote from: earthtonesaudio on November 22, 2008, 09:38:40 PM
Quote from: Barcode80 on November 22, 2008, 07:29:56 PM

I just assumed it was a PT2399 because the board looks like what you'd expect to see on a PT2399 based pedal... Voltage regulator, op-amp, and delay chip along with a smattering of passive components.  I stand corrected, it seems.  Not sure I agree with your statement about tape being the only true analog delay, but it's probably best to start a new thread for that, if you want.

Regardless, that's cool to hear of a new delay chip.

Quote from: Thomeeque on November 22, 2008, 08:34:27 PM

Ditto.
no need for that, not starting an argument or anything. i'm not a purist or anything, i love the pt2399 based and other "analog" delay pedals. bbd chips are digital, that's all i was saying. by definition not analog. GREAT sounding delays though.

ilponiz

Quote from: Renegadrian on November 23, 2008, 08:03:48 AM
A Buzz Fuss for a friend, it has been "christened" CHURCH FUZZ as my friend's surname is CHIESA (italian for "church")

well done my italian fellow! it looks nice and i think it'll sound good too
and not to mention the "church fuzz" name...good choice
;)
complimenti

poniz from sunny southern sicily

arma61

Great job Renegadrian, what if your friend's surname was Piazza (italian for "square"), you'll call it Piccadilly Fuzz, ah ah ah   :icon_razz:  I couldn't resit I had to type this!

"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

solderman

Hi
My hat is off BIG TIME. This is the coolest gadget I've seen so far. So small that is BIG
Now, Le's see who first manages to squeeze a Univibe in to a 1590A  ;D
Again, Respect .....

\\Solderman
The only bad sounding stomp box is an unbuilt stomp box. ;-)
//Take Care and build with passion

www.soldersound.com
xSolderman@soldersound.com (exlude x to mail)

solderman

Hi
Very nice work. A real gem. I really like the knob. Its the peach of the pie

\\Solderman
The only bad sounding stomp box is an unbuilt stomp box. ;-)
//Take Care and build with passion

www.soldersound.com
xSolderman@soldersound.com (exlude x to mail)