News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Lyons

Rehoused Tube Screamer
Spalted Bubinga top with 100+ year old American Chestnut sides.

Western Diamondback covered Telecaster pickguard

Diamondback covered pickguard and matching pedal. (Modified Booster 2.5)

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

DougH

Quote from: solderman on November 24, 2008, 12:01:39 PM

//Solderman

That is so cool! People are definitely upping the ante on these 1590a projects. :icon_wink:
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

frequencycentral

http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

solderman

Quote from: John Lyons on November 25, 2008, 12:25:39 PM

Rehoused Tube Screamer
What a beautiful box. Suited for some thing from Woodo labs.  :icon_lol: 
The only bad sounding stomp box is an unbuilt stomp box. ;-)
//Take Care and build with passion

www.soldersound.com
xSolderman@soldersound.com (exlude x to mail)

John Lyons

"Very cool - not real snakeskin though I hope."

Oh, it's real for sure. Take it from the vegetarian here... :icon_frown:

john

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

GREEN FUZ

I believe the trick is to entice the snake to swallow the pedal whole; then you chop off the head and tail while it`s sleeping off its meal. Pop on some knobs and you`re done.

I might be wrong of course.

frank_p

Quote from: GREEN FUZ on November 25, 2008, 05:51:04 PM
I believe the trick is to entice the snake to swallow the pedal whole; then you chop off the head and tail while it`s sleeping off its meal. Pop on some knobs and you`re done.

LOL Really funny!  :icon_lol:

Valoosj

Quote from: DougH on November 25, 2008, 01:05:15 PM

That is so cool! People are definitely upping the ante on these 1590a projects. :icon_wink:

I have just prepared a layout for a mini tremulus lune with speed smooth and spacing controls. Depth and gain will be trimmers.
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

Papa_lazerous

:icon_lol:

That really made me chuckle

Dylfish

Rehoused Tube Screamer
Thats the most beautiful housing ive seen for a long while john

davent

Quote from: Dylfish on November 25, 2008, 06:55:04 PM

Rehoused Tube Screamer
Thats the most beautiful housing ive seen for a long while john

Gorgeous work as always John!!! :icon_mrgreen: You sure don't shy away from a challenge!

Where do you come up with spalted bubinga? I've never seen spalted woods of any kind at any of the specialty wood dealers around here never mind bubinga (or 100 year old chestnut).

I'm guessing epoxy to stick the tolex to the box and pickguard?

Take care,
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Cursor

Apehouse

HAHA.
ya know.. as funny as that sounds, my daughter's ball python has swallowed things so big that i could almost believe it!
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music" -Aldous Huxley

ilponiz

ilponiz

Quote from: arma61 on November 24, 2008, 04:14:52 PM
Quote from: ilponiz on November 24, 2008, 11:00:18 AM
time to show some of the pedals i made   ;D

here's the Big Shave (a big muff clone with triangle era specs) which is my humble tribute to barbers!
(my father, who's now retired, had a barbershop for 40 years and i loved that place)

here's the sharakaura (two sicilian words that stand for "hot lava"). that's  a tribute to my land and its majestic volcano. etna is the europe's greatest active volcano and it was perfect to be used for an overdrive unit like this!

the sharakaura deluxe features a drive unit (as for the pedal above) plus a boost section. the "sciara" of a volcano gets cool in few years but can still be extremely hot under the surface for decades! i think it's again a good idea to represent the warm tones you can get out of a good overdrive unit!

finally, a 9v electric mistress replica i built for a friend. i'm still debugging it as i can't get a flanging sound out of it (btw, thanks markusw  :))
my friend wanted his pedal to feature his zodiac sign (a capricorn, obviously) and the colours of the italian flag (the three stars under the knobs) and that's the result:

hope you like'em!

poniz

complimenti davvero!!!

Ottima idea per il BM!

Ciao
Armando

thanks armando, the big shave is really my favourite and i really like that sparkling silver finish!
;D
poniz

John Lyons

Where do you come up with spalted bubinga?
I've never seen spalted woods of any kind at any of the specialty wood dealers
around here never mind bubinga (or 100 year old chestnut).

The spalted Bubinga was the flip side of a scrap piece of highly figured bubinga I used for something else.
I've used some splated Ash salvaged from "firewood" and I have a Les Paul copy with a spalted maple top. I've never seen any that was that great for sale. Spalting is the half rotten wet wood turning black just before it gets mushy...it's a rare and unstable thing.
I buy my fancy woods from  http://www.cookwoods.com/ Some AMAZING woods there.
The Chestnut was salvaged from an old farm house's floor beams. It's actually well over 100 years old, more like 125+
I got a few other boards from another house that are very straight grain Chestnut door casings...perfectly straight grain...

I'm guessing epoxy to stick the tolex to the box and pickguard?

I used E6000 actually. I was going to use epoxy but I decided it would be more forgiving to use a flexible adhesive and the longer drying time was easier to deal with while cutting and monkeying around trying to get the pieces to fit together somewhat seamlessly.
The wood box is done with carpenters yellow glue. Sticks well to the wood and to the leather like back of the skins.
They are sealed well in many coats of polyurathane so water/wear isn't so much a problem...

Thanks for the kind words folks!

john
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Zen

lol

i guess PETA would want you to keep the snake alive.  so your pedal board would include a bag with a live snake in it that you stomp on from time to time?

HeimBrent

Or you could make it swallow a bunch of pedals... That would be one hell of a pedalboard :icon_surprised: :icon_surprised: :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:

$uperpuma

Quote from: ForcedFire on November 22, 2008, 09:35:18 PM
I've been posting on the BYOC forum for the last few months. I've got a new DIY project I want to release in the next couple weeks so I thought I'd register here to share with more people. More on that later.

This thread is amazing, really great work by everyone who's replied. I thought I'd throw in some pics from my past builds, all are etched with Ferric Chloride:

Great etches man!
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

Evad Nomenclature

Quote from: frequencycentral on November 25, 2008, 01:15:08 PM

Very cool - not real snakeskin though I hope.

I heard John kills pythons, rattlesnakes and cobras with his bare hands! ^_^
Evad Nomenclature III
Master of Dolphin Technologies