News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gila_Crisis

here my last build, based on a 1974 Orange Graphic mkII amplifier

it sound so lovely! i was amazed when i fisrt tried it!

Gila_Crisis

The Tone God

The Dub Machine

An external delay feedback loop based on the Dirty Mary design with some extra features. It also powers the external delay and itself from a set of AA batteries stored inside for longer life then with 9v batteries. I use it with a cheap PB&J delay to give it a new set of features that usually only come with expensive delays but any delay should work with it.

Andrew

flo

He Andrew, nice "dub machine"!  8)
Can you perhaps give a description of the features/knobs/switches/footswitches?

The Tone God

Quote from: flo on January 06, 2009, 05:02:30 PM
He Andrew, nice "dub machine"!  8)
Can you perhaps give a description of the features/knobs/switches/footswitches?

Thanks. Okay then.

On top from left to right is:

Out: Final signal output
Output phase switch: Locking switch that flips the phase of the final output depending on the delay's output.
Delay loop phase switch: Locking switch that flips the phase of the delay loop depending on the delay's output. Some delays flip the phase on their output so the phase needs to be flipped back in order for the external loop to work. These are usually set and forget switches hence the locking actuators.
Power switch: Controls power to both the Dub Machine and the external delay. Since this is going on a pedal board I don't want to bother with unplugging things. A master power switch works for me.
Power Jack: Power output for the external delay. Power comes from the internal AA batteries and is controlled by the power switch.
In: Guitar input

Footswitches from left to right:

Kill: Momentary switch that mutes the repeat return signal reducing trails in long delays or pulls back the repeating signal when repeats are feeding back. Handy and fun.
Repeat: Switches between the two repeat settings.
Background: Disconnects the input signal from the delay and remixes the input signal with the delay's final output allowing the playing over trailing repeats without adding to the repeating signal. The Yellow LED tells you when it is engaged.
Bypass: Total effect bypass. You leave the external delay pedal engaged at all times. Now you get true bypass even when the delay is not as in the case of the PB&J.

Knobs from left to right:

Kill Rate: Controls have much the repeat signal is reduced when the Kill switch is engaged.
Repeat 1+2: Switchable repeat controls allow two settings of repeat level. The red and green LEDs below indicate which control is engaged. Both LEDs are off when the effect is bypassed. The range is from one repeat to self feedback.
Tone: Control that rolls off the high end of the repeats to give a more tape-like sound.

Send and return are the input and output to the delay.

This give delays sound abilities like those found in tape delay that are used in music like dub reggae hence the name Dub Machine.

Andrew

DWBH

Lovin' it!
Have you recorded anything with it, so we can see how it sounds? I'm very curious.

flo

Great description on the "dub machine", thanks!
I especially like the "kill" and "background" options.
I'm interested in learning the technical design of the "kill" functionality, perhaps you're willing to post it's schematic?

The Tone God

Quote from: DWBH on January 06, 2009, 06:40:29 PM
Have you recorded anything with it, so we can see how it sounds? I'm very curious.

There should be some Dirty Mary samples floating around which sound pretty much the same as the Dub Machine. I'll see if I can record some newer stuff.

Quote from: flo on January 06, 2009, 07:13:18 PM
I'm interested in learning the technical design of the "kill" functionality, perhaps you're willing to post it's schematic?

The base design is Dirty Mary which is a FX-X entry from awhile back. Do a search for that and you will get the base design without the kill rate, output phase, and background features. The kill switch is just a switch that grounds out a large cap connected to the repeat signal so that when engaged it filters out audio frequencies. Very simple.

Andrew

davent

Hello folks,

Definitely not a pedal but a rail splitter for those times when you need a bipolar supply.  Feed it with a battery or power supply and you get bipolar voltages (at half the input voltage) with a ground, out.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Frankli

Do you share the schematic? Thanks!!

German

Davent, build that one on SMD, for more smaller size  ;)

Potatoolay

Quote from: Volkmar on January 01, 2009, 02:28:57 PM
BASS DRIVER
All tube bass preamp, 2*6n2p-ev inside (12AX7 analog)

so... what are the chances that I could get a schem for this? I reeeeeeally need a bass preamp.

fuzzo

yeah schematic and gut pics please ! :icon_biggrin:

Volkmar

what's a shit?

davent

Quote from: Frankli on January 07, 2009, 05:44:36 AM

Originally saw this on the Headwize forum.

AudioXpress had an article that used basically the same circuit to power another headphone amp. A higher current version using a TIP29 and a TIP30 transistors, 2k7 resistors in place of the 4k7's and a 39k resistor in series between the two diodes.

Quote from: German on January 07, 2009, 08:56:22 AM

This was just an exercise to see how small i could make the circuit with the bits i had on hand. For small, TI makes a chip, available in a TO-92 package (or 8-DIP or 8-SOIC) that will do the job for much less effort. http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tle2426.pdf :)

Take care,
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

searoad

Quote from: Thomeeque on January 01, 2009, 05:58:17 PM
Hi, guys!

More info and stuff at http://thmq.mysteria.cz/digital_mistress/

Yep, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!, btw. :)

I am very interested in your princezna project!
I have built john hollis' ultra flanger but dont get satisfied with the flanger effect.
since those pt2399-based delay circuits have gorgeous sound i would like to try pt2398-based circuits.
more info plz!!

Thomeeque

Quote from: searoad on January 07, 2009, 10:33:40 PM
Quote from: Thomeeque on January 01, 2009, 05:58:17 PM
Hi, guys!

More info and stuff at http://thmq.mysteria.cz/digital_mistress/

Yep, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!, btw. :)

I am very interested in your princezna project!
I have built john hollis' ultra flanger but dont get satisfied with the flanger effect.
since those pt2399-based delay circuits have gorgeous sound i would like to try pt2398-based circuits.
more info plz!!

Oh, your interest delights me :) Give me some time, please, I'll start new thread soon then (I was planning to do it anyway, since I have some flanger-expert-oriented questions too).. stay tuned :)
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

earthtonesaudio

Quote from: davent on January 07, 2009, 09:11:04 PM
Quote from: Frankli on January 07, 2009, 05:44:36 AM

Originally saw this on the Headwize forum.

AudioXpress had an article that used basically the same circuit to power another headphone amp. A higher current version using a TIP29 and a TIP30 transistors, 2k7 resistors in place of the 4k7's and a 39k resistor in series between the two diodes.

Quote from: German on January 07, 2009, 08:56:22 AM

This was just an exercise to see how small i could make the circuit with the bits i had on hand. For small, TI makes a chip, available in a TO-92 package (or 8-DIP or 8-SOIC) that will do the job for much less effort. http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tle2426.pdf :)

Take care,
dave

LM386 will work too.

Nitefly182