News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzz Aldryn

Quote from: earthtonesaudio on January 15, 2009, 07:39:48 AM
I really like that idea.  A good way to recycle junk mail, and saves money on special paper too!

But how do you get it to go through the printer without problems?  Cut it to the standard paper sheet size before you print?

If someone has a photoessay or tutorial, I'd love to see it (in it's own thread of course).

:)

Basicly very easy and similar to the method with PnP so that I think there's no need to open a new thread nor making a special tutorial for this. Print your layout on a normal sheet of paper so youn can localize where it's print on that, cut a right sized catalogue paper and stick it onto the place where the layout is gonna be printed. That's all. As I said before similar to the Press 'n' Peel method.
Hope that helps.

Regards
Helge

fluoreszenz

Quote from: earthtonesaudio on January 15, 2009, 07:39:48 AM
I really like that idea.  A good way to recycle junk mail, and saves money on special paper too!

But how do you get it to go through the printer without problems?  Cut it to the standard paper sheet size before you print?

If someone has a photoessay or tutorial, I'd love to see it (in it's own thread of course).

:)

Yes, the good old european green (& dirty cheap)  method,.. also works out for me  :)

Just check out this link, http://diy.musikding.de/content/view/20/13/, pics will make it clear for you

I got very good results with using paper from catalogs which have slightly thicker paper (compared to newspaper) and are somehow coated and a little glossy. I also use a lasr printer for that.

Basically you print out your layout (on normal printer paper), cut a catalog page to size slightly bigger than the layout and fix the catalog paper on the layout you printed before with some adhesive tape.

Then just put in into your printer and print again. Afterwards remove the printed-on catalog paper, remove the adhesive tape. Now it is straightforward PnP methodology    ;D

During ironing it helps if you put a piece of cotton cloth between the layout and your electric iron.

earthtonesaudio

Ah, simple!  I like it.

MovingInSloMo

catalog paper is usually a varnished paper, and I'm guessing laser toner doesn't stick to it

Boogdish

I finished converting a Bogen CHB-50 into a guitar amp today.  It's a heavily modified blackface Princeton circuit, with no negative feedback, slightly different tone values, an optional extra gain stage (plugging into jack on left does extra gain stage, the jack in the middle bypasses it) and it's running a pair of 6L6GCs with an adjustable fixed bias.  I'm really happy with how it turned out, there's no hum, plenty of gain when I need it, I can get cleans to run my pedals through and it can really move some air.  I'm still in the middle of my spray can repainting of the metal cabinet it came in. 

This was my first time using terminal strips, and it was really fun and really liberating.  It was very easy to make big changes in the design of the preamp quickly, just desolder what's on there and you're back to the blank slate, no punching eyelets in garrolite, no drawing up your layouts, just grab a schematic and figure it out as you go along.  Fun for nerds.

some of these parts are vestigial from when it was a PA,like the switch on the top of the chassis, the big can cap and some of the resistors on the back.

view from the preamp towards the power amp

power section towards the power amp.

petemoore

Looks like a beast !
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Fuzz Aldryn

Quote from: MovingInSloMo on January 15, 2009, 06:45:52 PM
catalog paper is usually a varnished paper, and I'm guessing laser toner doesn't stick to it

Actually it does:

But because it is varnished it doesn't stick very well on the paper and that's how and why this methode works.

Regards
Helge

Renegadrian

Hey, you ruined an article about Seb Bach!!!  :icon_evil:

(+1 on the tutorial, it should be great!!!)
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

kurtlives

One of the first effects peoples usually build, about my fiftieth.

A tweaked out Fuzz Face! Blend control, bias, fuzz and volume. Switches to select different NOS transistors for either Q1 or Q2.

Sounds amazing!
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

ForcedFire

Quote from: Fuzz Aldryn on January 15, 2009, 04:55:14 AM
Quote from: ForcedFire on January 14, 2009, 06:28:07 PM
Fuzz Aldryn, that Squeezer rules. I can't get paint to stay in a big etched square like that when I'm sanding. Awesome pedals!

Thanks!:)
Don't know if I got you right, but you have to sand and polish before you start etching. This way the nonetched parts stay highgloss after the process which you will need in the further step.  Tap with acrylic paint (and that's important, because acrylic paint sticks pretty good on the etched areas but pretty poor on the polished surface) the parts you want to have to be painted (the etched areas in this case). Don't care if something of the nonetched parts are painted too, because they are high glossy. You can easily rub or wipe the excess away with a q-tip (for the letters) or a small piece of fabric. Doing this you don't touch the painted areas that much and the paint should stay in place. Now you can easily fix it with a clear lacquer of your choice. VoilĂ ! C'etait tous!
Hope this was some kind of helpful!

Regards
Helge

Ah, I see. I had been trying with enamel paint and letting it dry totally before trying to sand off the excess and leave the painted etched parts a solid colour.

Merci!

jacobyjd

A Cacophonator (finally...).

Credits would include layout from worth ekik
Board etched by John Lyons (who is the man.)

I added a momentary kill switch and a slow-charge switch, both momentary.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

darron

Quote from: jacobyjd on January 17, 2009, 01:20:49 AM
A Cacophonator (finally...).

Credits would include layout from worth ekik
Board etched by John Lyons (who is the man.)

I added a momentary kill switch and a slow-charge switch, both momentary.

bloody hell that looks pretty!!

shame about the run in the clear on the side (i think?) but i guess that's how you got such an awesome gloss on the top.

gut shot demanded.... (:
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

carrejans

Quote from: kurtlives on January 16, 2009, 09:24:38 PM

A tweaked out Fuzz Face! Blend control, bias, fuzz and volume. Switches to select different NOS transistors for either Q1 or Q2.

Sounds amazing!

Nice!
Which transistors have you put in there?

kurtlives

Quote from: carrejans on January 17, 2009, 06:06:19 AM

Sounds amazing!

Nice!
Thank you very much! Most people ignore my builds, this was my neatest one yet I would say, so it would be a shame.

The transistors are NOS from my large stash, hehe.
Q1 2SB135 hFE= 60
Q1 2N280 "Holland" hFE = 60

Q2 AC125 hFE= 100
Q2 2N280 "Holland" hFE= 70
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

solderman

Hi

OK, this one is not a complete box but its the content of one. To be more precise its a Rebote Delay 2.5 from Tonepad that I have made a new layout for to fit in a Hammond 1590A enclosure. Tight fit but it works.
Now i just have to drill the box and fit the content in to the box. I think I'll paint it in Fender surf green.

This is how it looks.

I eventually found some small (5mm high) E-lyte caps in 47uF that made it possible to keep the hight within 10 mm that is the max to get it to fit in a 1590 with jacks an cables etc. I really like those mini pots. I have to use them to fit 3 pots together with everyting else. The LED is a 3mm

I post pictures of the box as soon as its ready.

//Solderman
The only bad sounding stomp box is an unbuilt stomp box. ;-)
//Take Care and build with passion

www.soldersound.com
xSolderman@soldersound.com (exlude x to mail)

carrejans

Quote from: kurtlives on January 17, 2009, 11:17:10 AM
Quote from: carrejans on January 17, 2009, 06:06:19 AM

Sounds amazing!

Nice!
Thank you very much! Most people ignore my builds, this was my neatest one yet I would say, so it would be a shame.

The transistors are NOS from my large stash, hehe.
Q1 2SB135 hFE= 60
Q1 2N280 "Holland" hFE = 60

Q2 AC125 hFE= 100
Q2 2N280 "Holland" hFE= 70

When I have some spare time; I'm going to rebuild my fuzz face. It was my first build ever; so it's not really clean and can use a rebuild. I'm also going to add the ability to switch between different kind of transistors. Maybe even with two rotary's. (I also have a pretty large stash of Ge)  ;D

kurtlives

Nice! Good luck with it.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

German

solderman, good job!
But next time try SMD.. You will be surprised, how that could extremelly save the space.

And there are SMD e-lyts are smaller than yours

solderman

Quote from: German on January 17, 2009, 03:51:42 PM
solderman, good job!
But next time try SMD.. You will be surprised, how that could extremelly save the space.

And there are SMD e-lyts are smaller than yours

Thanks
Yes I know but that would sort of spoil the challenge. But I think I have to use a mix of SMD and regular components next time to get it all in since all components in my next two projects for the 1590A box, The Small Stone Chorus and the Electric Mistress, are not available in SMD. But to squeeze in tree pots an a switch will be a real challenge I think  :D

Cheers
//Solderman
The only bad sounding stomp box is an unbuilt stomp box. ;-)
//Take Care and build with passion

www.soldersound.com
xSolderman@soldersound.com (exlude x to mail)

Valoosj

Nice work Solderman.
You have PM btw!
3 pots should be possible. My phaser has 3 as well and I think it fits. The box is still under way with the mail.
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!