News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darron

Quote from: fuzzo on July 11, 2009, 07:17:24 PM
Just one question. Why using a wire with ground connection like the one you used in your input cap if you don't connect this ground   ? I see a lot of people doing that without knowing why (even in my boss pedal, the input wire is the same case)???

the grey cable is coax. the earth connection is only made to shield the path of the signal in the middle of the cable, so you'd only need to hook up one end. hooking up both ends would in theory actually create a mini ground loop. running it closer to the chassis and even in the channel gives further protection. looks like a job well done!
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

Nitefly182

Yeah the gray cable is shielded on the in and out. Whether it makes a difference in pedals other than fuzzes or high gain circuits is debatable. Its just what I do and it keeps things clean and pretty.

The 3PDT - well go out and look for a cheap latching SPDT and you're likely to end up at smallbear paying $8 for a Carling one instead of $4 for a 3PDT at everywhere other than Smallbear. I also just had the 3PDTs and didn't feel like going out of my way to get a switch with fewer lugs. No big deal to me but it does look a little funny.

darron

Quote from: Nitefly182 on July 11, 2009, 08:05:31 PM
Yeah the gray cable is shielded on the in and out. Whether it makes a difference in pedals other than fuzzes or high gain circuits is debatable. Its just what I do and it keeps things clean and pretty.

The 3PDT - well go out and look for a cheap latching SPDT and you're likely to end up at smallbear paying $8 for a Carling one instead of $4 for a 3PDT at everywhere other than Smallbear. I also just had the 3PDTs and didn't feel like going out of my way to get a switch with fewer lugs. No big deal to me but it does look a little funny.

shielding might also be used where there's a lfo creating another ac signal, like in a tremolo.

what you should do is keep using the 3pdt as i can see your argument, but use all three lugs on both sides as a spst. you could argue it increases reliability and i would do it anyway. gets us all off your back! extremely neat build though.

Nitefly182

Quote from: darron on July 11, 2009, 08:32:13 PM
Quote from: Nitefly182 on July 11, 2009, 08:05:31 PM

shielding might also be used where there's a lfo creating another ac signal, like in a tremolo.

what you should do is keep using the 3pdt as i can see your argument, but use all three lugs on both sides as a spst. you could argue it increases reliability and i would do it anyway. gets us all off your back! extremely neat build though.

I have thought about that but never actually did it before. This is probably the one time it would actually be useful.

andrew_k

Quote from: darron on July 11, 2009, 03:42:26 AM

You printing component placement on your PCBs now? Looks very pro, as always.

darron

Quote from: andrew_k on July 12, 2009, 12:27:11 AM
Quote from: darron on July 11, 2009, 03:42:26 AM

You printing component placement on your PCBs now? Looks very pro, as always.

hey andrew! good to hear from you. yeah. it's a fake silk screen burnt into the surface. one of john lyon's cool boards. obviously not necessary for such a simple board but the lines are already there in the design so i just turn the board upside down and burn it in. no extra work really and if anyone looks inside it gives it less DIY feeling and more boutique.

(:

andrew_k

Ha! More "cheating" using your CO2 laser. That thing rules!
Speaking of which, I need to send you an email... I have something brewing involving etching front panels for a pair of 2U rack cases...  :icon_twisted:

Al Heeley

Here's another tubescreamer pedal from me for a fellow guitarist. This is a standard circuit for the TS-808 but with the tone pot changed for a 1meg to give a more usable range over the tone ctrl. A little less hot more retro than the SRV special Tubescreamer.
I had to redo the decorations on the case after trying some ink-jet transparenciy acetate sheeets to transfer over a pop-art image onto the case via superglue. The printed ink sticks to the superglue then the acetate sheet can be carefully peeled off, but mine went wrong and it took rough patches of the image with it. Take#2: sanded back down and doodled with a Sharpie pen for 15 mins then 4 or 5 coats of clear craft lacquer from a rattle can.
Voila - custom hand-crafted artwork custom TS pedal.

sean k

I've had problems with the sharpie leaking when the clearcoat goes on and your artwork has just reminded me that laquer in very thin coats dries so fast that the sharpie doesn't run. You can also etch into the sharpie to get back the under surface which adds more dimension to the artworks. Also graphite pencil is kinda interesting as a surface between the silver and black. Nice drawing!
Monkey see, monkey do.
Http://artyone.bolgtown.co.nz/

frokost

Quote from: sean k on July 12, 2009, 06:59:24 PM
I've had problems with the sharpie leaking when the clearcoat goes on [...]

So true. I keep forgetting that  >:(.

Focalized

A bunch I never posted.

BYOC Shredmaster

BYOC Flanger

BYOC Octafuzz

Fuzz Face

Colorsound Overdriver

burdt

a ts808 tube screamer, based on the tonepad layout on perfboard and inside one of my cthulu enclosures (a directional coupler/splitter box.)

here's some blurry gut shots. the little board that's most blurry is a recycled chunk of the directional coupler circuit board. i scratched a millenium bypass on it, my very first and it worked! and what's most amazing is the fact that i'm understanding how some of the stuff works too, not just painting by numbers. the wiring is a bit messy, as usual, but i wanted to finish before the end of the weekend and as such i didn't plan much.  i'm still getting the feel for these boxes, one of these nights i'm gonna bite the bullet and mock up a printable layout i can set and forget.

HUBRIS

Focalized

Bad ass enclosure.

head_spaz

I am the Master Cylinder!!!

Deception does not exist in real life, it is only a figment of perception.

burdt

Quote from: Focalized on July 13, 2009, 04:07:07 AM
Bad ass enclosure.

i got lucky and found a box full of these things at my university's surplus. there might be tons of these because they were/are used for cable tv.
HUBRIS

frokost

Q&D compressor:

You can clearly see the effect of the sharpie running after clerar coating. I'm impatient when it comes to finishing enclosures, so I didn't want to start all over again.

Guts:

deaconque

Quote from: frokost on July 13, 2009, 10:01:28 AM
Q&D compressor:

You can clearly see the effect of the sharpie running after clerar coating. I'm impatient when it comes to finishing enclosures, so I didn't want to start all over again.

Guts:

I kind of like the way the leaking looks actually, looks kind of smokey.

burdt

i love the diagram you have on there, really clears up the mystery of compression on the fly. i always understand how it works for about a week but then i forget...
HUBRIS

MicFarlow77

I finally got around to getting a shot of the top side of my recent Dr. Boogie builds!

This is an amazingly quiet build! The extra cap close to the power inputs really help with hum since this design has no battery options.

Also, this build does not require shielded in and out wiring... I figured I'd wire it up by twisting and braiding the three off board connections and see how it did... no issues whatsoever! Saves a lot of time in the building process :-)

Taylor

Quote from: deaconque on July 13, 2009, 01:17:48 PM
Quote from: frokost on July 13, 2009, 10:01:28 AM
Q&D compressor:

Guts:

I kind of like the way the leaking looks actually, looks kind of smokey.

Ditto, I think that and the graphic look really cool. I always dig a nice graph or chart.