News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omarvolta

Search on ebay for blue FR-4 Copper clad. There's some nice red and black FR-4 also.

GREEN FUZ

Quote from: John Lyons on August 02, 2009, 10:33:50 PM

Quality work as ever John. Have you ever considered a method of labeling though? It`s tricky with wood I`d imagine, you need to preserve the integrity of the material. I`m thinking branding, perhaps. No idea how one would do it though.

aChorusofJays

I'm pretty sure you could just use your solder-iron to hand-draw the lettering. Get something with a fine tip and just start writing!

They used to do something similar at a wooden-shoe shop in Holland, MI. You get a nice burned look...

darron

You'd love the results you can get wit ha CO2 laser...  :icon_twisted:
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

thereverend

inlays would be amazing.
it's not a BURST BOX  it's a circuit box with burst button...

darron

Quote from: thereverend on August 03, 2009, 07:31:39 PM
inlays would be amazing.

also done fine cut and grooves engraved with a laser  :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:
i'm trigger happy....

John Lyons

I've thought a lot about labeling. It's a problem in a number of way. If I do it
I would ant it to be perfect...or at least to not compromise the clean look of
the wood. Color as well.
Burning/branding would be nice but it would have to be done before the finishing
process. Most of the time I build and finish a box before I know what will go in it.
So that's going against branding...I do have a friend with a laser engraver but I'm not
sure about cutting through the finish and it it will leave it too rough (burrs around the
edge of the words...) then you have the recess needing to be filled with some color
and not messing up the finish with that...See what I mean?

PCBs
I don't have any more blue board material. I can't get it anymore...

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

sean k

Hey John, labelling could be done by etching small copper or brass  plaques, just like they did in the old days, then riveting them on with small blind aluminium rivets.
Monkey see, monkey do.
Http://artyone.bolgtown.co.nz/

Taylor

Quote from: sean k on August 04, 2009, 05:39:11 PM
Hey John, labelling could be done by etching small copper or brass  plaques, just like they did in the old days, then riveting them on with small blind aluminium rivets.

Hey, I like this idea a lot. Though it might be getting dangerously close to the whole steampunk thing that is so hip right now. Not a problem for those of you mature enough to not care if people call you a hipster. For immature people like me, maybe a problem...

appliancide

Modified Rat. You can't see in this picture, but I started to label the controls with letter punches. I got as far as an "F" under each filter knob. I may label the rest or leave it as is.

More info: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=78241.0

thereverend

Quote from: Taylor on August 04, 2009, 10:22:15 PM
Quote from: sean k on August 04, 2009, 05:39:11 PM

Hey, I like this idea a lot. Though it might be getting dangerously close to the whole steampunk thing that is so hip right now. Not a problem for those of you mature enough to not care if people call you a hipster. For immature people like me, maybe a problem...

i wouldnt say it'd be steampunk or hipsterish with plaques on it. actually if done right it'd be pretty goddamn classy! like some sort of humidor or the fancy box my bottle of chivas regal royal salute came in.
it's not a BURST BOX  it's a circuit box with burst button...

darron

Quote from: appliancide on August 04, 2009, 10:32:54 PM

Modified Rat. You can't see in this picture, but I started to label the controls with letter punches. I got as far as an "F" under each filter knob. I may label the rest or leave it as is.

More info: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=78241.0

I can't see any mods... Looks pretty stock standard if you ask me.  ???

MicFarlow77

Quote from: John Lyons on August 02, 2009, 10:33:50 PM

Amazing work John! You never cease to inspire me with your work! Awesome Job!

jmwreck

here is my 2-knob tonebender mkII

adhesive tape remove after taking the pictures

and my twin rebote delay, with a short and long delay settings, with an oscillation momentary switch

Taylor

Quote from: thereverend on August 04, 2009, 10:43:35 PM
i wouldnt say it'd be steampunk or hipsterish with plaques on it. actually if done right it'd be pretty goddamn classy! like some sort of humidor or the fancy box my bottle of chivas regal royal salute came in.

No doubt, it would be super-classy. But etched copper/brass plaques are pretty much the hallmark of steampunk.

John Lyons

I don't think I would be happy with etched plaques on my wood boxes.
I like the clean smooth look.
Doing something like that goes along with the other metal boxes I've done for
sure though. I'm not worried about steampunk (ishness)...By the time I finish
it would be different anyway. I've done some metal riveted on type stuff.
I like it....

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

edd29

John Lyons

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Ripthorn

Quote from: jmwreck on August 05, 2009, 12:38:03 AM

here is my 2-knob tonebender mkII

Good crap that's efficiency.  Not sure how you do that.
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

Renegadrian

Quote from: edd29 on August 05, 2009, 01:04:17 PM

I like it - I made some pedals that looks like yours, love those tribal images on pedals!!!
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!