News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tombola

Pleased with this Vibracaster tube tremolo, which I'm using as a preamp for a Hohner Pianet. It's pretty much stock. I put a 10m resistor to ground at the input, (hopefully) to get a very high impedance input (SHO style), as the Pianet has a very weak single coil pickup. Enclosure is white powdercoat from Banzai - it just looks yellow because of the lighting. One switch is power, one is bypass. My first perfboard project. Definitely won't be posting any close ups of that...
Thanks to Beavis, frequencycentral and station for a fantastic project.

Galego

Inside they're all like this (the only one that's here is the one on the right):

Barcode80

Wanted to tinker with using the PCB blank material for lettering and had a Ross Phaser board laying around, so PRESTO! A new phaser build:

jkokura

Brilliant work! I'm very, very impressed. I especially like how you've managed to mount everything on the PCB. It must have taken lots of fiddling and careful measuring to drill the enclosure correctly for all the PCB mounted parts. It looks very professional, congrats!

So how long does it take to get on of those wired up? I imagine the enclosures must take waaaay more time.

Quote from: Galego on October 12, 2010, 07:02:42 PM

Inside they're all like this (the only one that's here is the one on the right):

kurtlives

Wonder if he has templates for the enclosures, all you'd need to change is number of knobs depending on the circuit.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

markeebee

Quote from: kurtlives on October 12, 2010, 08:34:31 PM
Wonder if he has templates for the enclosures, all you'd need to change is number of knobs depending on the circuit.

Soggybag has some similar PCB templates here:
http://www.super-freq.com/about/

I've made some corresponding drilling jigs from scrap wood, so drilling an enclosure to suit the boards is quick and easy.

Galego

Quote from: jkokura on October 12, 2010, 08:13:10 PM
Brilliant work! I'm very, very impressed. I especially like how you've managed to mount everything on the PCB. It must have taken lots of fiddling and careful measuring to drill the enclosure correctly for all the PCB mounted parts. It looks very professional, congrats!

So how long does it take to get on of those wired up? I imagine the enclosures must take waaaay more time.

Mounting everything on the PCB does make things a bit difficult when doing the layout, the pots are the biggest issue, as they use a bit of space on the pcb and because sometimes they are in a very inconvenient place circuit-wise. Lots more jumper wires than usual. But somethings are easier, once you do the first one, everything related to the switch, jacks and led is the same.
I try to measure everything correctly, and most of it came out just right, although i did mess up on one of the holes, on the phaser, hence the big plastic washer.

By wiring you mean assemble the board? Soldering the components? It's quite fast, i don't know exactly how long but i can easily do two of these boards a day, including etching. And soldering is my favorite part of the build, dealing with wiring was something that i didn't enjoy at all so i'm very happy with this method.

Quote from: kurtlives on October 12, 2010, 08:34:31 PM

I draw it on CAD software, but still wasn't 100% accurate, after doing the real thing, now i can adjust the drawings and the next ones will be easier.

azrael

Quote from: tombola on October 12, 2010, 06:44:47 PM
Pleased with this Vibracaster tube tremolo, which I'm using as a preamp for a Hohner Pianet. It's pretty much stock. I put a 10m resistor to ground at the input, (hopefully) to get a very high impedance input (SHO style), as the Pianet has a very weak single coil pickup. Enclosure is white powdercoat from Banzai - it just looks yellow because of the lighting. One switch is power, one is bypass. My first perfboard project. Definitely won't be posting any close ups of that...
Thanks to Beavis, frequencycentral and station for a fantastic project.

[piccys...][/url]
Correct me if I'm wrong...but a big resistor like that at the input, going to ground....would only serve as a pulldown resistor, and not determine the input impedance? Anything like 1M-2.2M or whatever would've been fine, and made no real discernable different.
If you want a high input impedance, I think you'll have to tack on a buffer in front of it.

Camphausen

Finished my second version of the "Automatic Railgun"-Nand Synth - 10 Step Binary Sequencer
added a Fuzz section on the MKII for greater Output and more FUN (:

Videos will follow next Week

regards
Jonathan

JKowalski

Quote from: azrael on October 13, 2010, 03:56:25 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong...but a big resistor like that at the input, going to ground....would only serve as a pulldown resistor, and not determine the input impedance? Anything like 1M-2.2M or whatever would've been fine, and made no real discernable different.
If you want a high input impedance, I think you'll have to tack on a buffer in front of it.

The input impedance of a vacuum tube is extremely high, so taking the value of that resistor to be the input impedance is okay.

QuoteThe grid resistor can be as large as desired, up to megohms, to give a high input impedance. However, high values are worse for pickup and stability. Some tubes have a maximum grid resistance specified, and this should not be exceeded for best results. The input coupling capacitor should have an impedance much less than the grid resistor. It forms an RC filter with R equal to the sum of the grid resistor and the output resistance of the source, so it is conservative to let R be the grid resistor only. C is selected so the -3dB point of the RC filter is at the desired low frequency fo = 1/2πRC. In the present case, with fo = 60 Hz, C = 0.0056 μF. Therefore, C = 0.033 is ample. A similar analysis applies to the output coupling capacitor, where R is the sum of the next grid resistor and the output impedance of the amplifier, which is about 100||52 = 34k. This gives C = 0.019 μF, so again 0.033 is ample.

tombola

Quote from: JKowalski on October 13, 2010, 04:20:50 AM
Quote from: azrael on October 13, 2010, 03:56:25 AM

The input impedance of a vacuum tube is extremely high, so taking the value of that resistor to be the input impedance is okay.

I'm no expert at all. I tried the 10M after building an SHO (from this schematic) which has a 10m resistor there. Zvex talks about impedance here.
The box certainly makes the weedy pianet pickups sound better than ever before, and I remember noticing a difference when I swapped in the 10m on breadboard. However, i'm rather susceptible to snake oil.

Slade

Quote from: Camphausen on October 13, 2010, 04:07:35 AM
Finished my second version of the "Automatic Railgun"-Nand Synth - 10 Step Binary Sequencer
added a Fuzz section on the MKII for greater Output and more FUN (:

Videos will follow next Week

regards
Jonathan

SWEEEEEET!
Looking forward for those videos ;D

studiostud

Quote from: Barcode80 on October 12, 2010, 07:52:04 PM
Wanted to tinker with using the PCB blank material for lettering and had a Ross Phaser board laying around, so PRESTO! A new phaser build:

That's a cool idea.  What you should try now is get a dremel and a metal file and make some square holes just behind the text.  The pedal will still maintain most of it's structural integrity and then you can stick LEDs inside to make your text light up when you turn it on!
Builds Completed: Big Muff. Fuzz Face. Tube Screamer. Rat. Crash Sync. Harmonic Jerkulator. 6-band EQ. Rebote 2.5. Tremulus Lune. Small Stone. Small Clone. Microamp. LPB-2. Green Ringer. Red Ranger. Orange Squeezer. SansAmp. MXR Headphone Amp. Bass Fuzz.

Galego

Delay. Based on the Echo Base but with a few changes, the most significant is the modulation is driven by the PIC chip instead of an LFO.

eniacmike

bass fkr four knob rat. increased input cap to 470nF currently using symmetric mosfet clippers.

It has been 10 years since I played a rat I was wondering if the filter control is backwards? it is trebely to the left and full tone to the right (not really bassy just full) It doesn't bother me enough to change it, but I was just wondering if the original rats operate in this way too.

auden100

ROG Thor with bass control pot, and an extra diode clipping switch.

Illustrator by day. Pedal tinkerer by night.
www.artstation.com/auden

G. Hoffman

Quote from: Galego on October 13, 2010, 04:57:27 PM

Delay. Based on the Echo Base but with a few changes, the most significant is the modulation is driven by the PIC chip instead of an LFO.

What was the LFO?  Is that Electric Druid's tap LFO, or did you come up with something else?

Gabriel

kupfer_m

Not excatly a stompbox but nevertheless tons of fun!!!

Ray Wilson's Weird Sound Generator (WSG)

ca cat

Quote from: Galego on October 13, 2010, 04:57:27 PM

What tap tempo controler do you use? Taptation?
Jamin' with JaM IT FX - www.jamitfx.com