News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bean

Quote from: Barcode80 on January 10, 2011, 01:00:21 AM
Yeah I'm guessing either the lighting is makin it look silver but it's copper, or he tinned the copper and popped it in an oven (been meaning to try this), then sanded. THat's supposed to be a decent "silver" plating with solder.

It's tinned then very lightly sanded. No oven necessary.

~arph

Neat idea!

So let me get this straight:

first you etch away all the copper you don't need.
Then you tin what is left.
Spray the whole thing the color you like
Sand lightly

I imagine if you don't tin it, it's harder to sand away just over the copper.

ShortScaleMike

bean

Quote from: ~arph on January 10, 2011, 05:56:41 AM
So let me get this straight:

first you etch away all the copper you don't need.
Then you tin what is left.
Spray the whole thing the color you like
Sand lightly

I imagine if you don't tin it, it's harder to sand away just over the copper.

The PCB material is already black, so I etch, sand, tin, sand some more and then a little Acetone to clean it. The final sanding on the tinned copper is done with a very used fine 3M pad. Just a few strokes.

~arph

FunkyGibbon

Quote from: bean on January 09, 2011, 06:21:27 PM

Where does one get these coloured copper clad boards? I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Gorgeous job there, bean.

Christopher

Fuzz Aldryn

Hi,

my recent clone: A Meathead deluxe using trim pots for the "not-so-usefull" controlls.

As I don't like vero very much I made my own layout.

Govmnt_Lacky

Fuzz,

Very nice looking box. Clean and to the point. Did you use a waterslide on the graphics?

I think I may go this route with my future builds. I just find it EXHAUSTING to paint enclosures only to have them chip or scratch before I even fire them up for the first time. Maybe from now on, a nice clean sanding, a clear coat, and done.  ;D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Fuzz Aldryn

... I don't even use clearcoat. It's just a special decal normaly meant for decorating cups and other dishes. After applying it like an ordinary waterslide decal and a couple of hours drying time you just burn them onto the surface in your oven at 170°C for 30min and you're done with it. Couldn't be easysier. I'm loving it! :icon_biggrin:
But watch out! The ones for inkjet usage are crap. I always use a laser printer (that's why its only black) or I let it print on my local copyshop if I want something more colourfull.;)

Perrow

Quote from: Fuzz Aldryn on January 10, 2011, 02:35:10 PM
It's just a special decal normaly meant for decorating cups and other dishes.

Found one link, would this be something like the ones you use?

http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/products-Magic-decal-paper_256.htm

Sounds like an awesome way to decorate your pedal. Wouldn't it work for color laser as well or you just don't have access to one?
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

mattthegamer463

I know its not a pedal but it is instrumental in designing them... ;)

Its a resistance/capacitance box, offering 10k and 100k 10-turn pots for some resistance control, and a rotary for some larger resistances.  A button with a 1k ohm resistor on it prevents the resistance from being reduced to 0 and burning anything by accident, but can still be achieved when pressing the button (for when I think I know what I'm doing)

Twenty-two capacitors on two 1P12T switches give something like 242 combinations.  Some are pretty much useless and some are silly but you can hit a lot of values along the way.  Useful for easy substitution or passive filter design.

The schematic I came up with (click):

phector2004

Putting the pots in series... smart!

deadastronaut

Quote from: Perrow on January 10, 2011, 04:07:08 PM

Sounds like an awesome way to decorate your pedal. Wouldn't it work for color laser as well or you just don't have access to one?

@perrow.yep ive used that, from them........i used the inkjet water slide..print/let dry for 30 minutes..light spray with clear ..let dry..then soak...done..then clear coat...good results..
but i only etch nowdays...i like the industrial polished metal look...and its permanent..no chipping.. etc... :icon_twisted:

@matt. great design,very neat!.. i made 2 seperate ones...resistor and cap boxes...i couldnt be without them now...invaluable tools...
saves a lot of digging out componets just to try etc...mine dont look as good as that though..but they certainly work well... :icon_wink:
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

armstrom

Quote from: Perrow on January 10, 2011, 04:07:08 PM

For those in the US you can get similar bake-on decals from this company http://www.papilio.com just search on the page for bake on decal and you should find laser printable white and clear bake-on decals. I used a clear decal on this pedal I've posted here before. http://www.mr2-power.com/cramit.jpg That pedal has a yellow powder coat finish and the laser decal baked on top, no clear coat at all. If you apply the decal as instructed it IS possible to flake the toner off the decal (it's not easy to do though, I was only able to do it with sharp tools). I'm going to experiment with printing a mirrored image of my decal and applying it "upside down" so the toner is sandwiched between the decal material and the enclosure. If the decal will adhere this way (I haven't tried yet) and bake on without a problem it should provide good protection. Of course, that approach may not work at all, and for sure would be useless with the white decals :) I also bought some low-temperature clear powder that I can coat over the decals with but have not yet tested it. The nice thing is that my powder cures at around 400-450 degrees, the decal bakes at 345 degrees and the clear coat bakes at 340 degrees so you don't ruin any of the prior coats as you apply the next.
-Matt

eniacmike

Quote from: mattthegamer463 on January 10, 2011, 11:12:59 PM
I know its not a pedal but it is instrumental in designing them... ;)

Its a resistance/capacitance box, offering 10k and 100k 10-turn pots for some resistance control, and a rotary for some larger resistances.  A button with a 1k ohm resistor on it prevents the resistance from being reduced to 0 and burning anything by accident, but can still be achieved when pressing the button (for when I think I know what I'm doing)

Twenty-two capacitors on two 1P12T switches give something like 242 combinations.  Some are pretty much useless and some are silly but you can hit a lot of values along the way.  Useful for easy substitution or passive filter design.

The schematic I came up with (click):

that is cool. I saw a piece of gear that did a similar thing once...

Manny

That Sencore unit looks very handy indeed.

JKowalski

Wow, old... Selenium rectifier...

tombola

Govmnt_Lacky

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

mattthegamer463

That Sencore is interesting.  I don't mean to toot my own horn, but my unit seems way more useful.