News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattthegamer463

Mike,

Since you don't make or use PCBs for the pedals you sell, do you ever get returns or repairs and customers having issues with things breaking internally?  Just curious.

ShortScaleMike

Quote from: mattthegamer463 on November 21, 2011, 08:05:42 AM
Mike,

Since you don't make or use PCBs for the pedals you sell, do you ever get returns or repairs and customers having issues with things breaking internally?  Just curious.

I do use PCBs for some things (Dream Box, Small Clone) and will be for all my Muffs when my designs arrive, but I'm not sure I understand your concern with the reliability of veroboard vs. PCB. A badly built pedal using either will be unreliable.

mattthegamer463

I wasn't saying anything about you or your work, just curious if it ever had any issues, if maybe it was less reliable than a PCB.

azrael

I haven't had any problems with either method, so long as it's built well. :p:

frequencycentral

Mission Control Bass Overdrive, seperate Bax tonestacks on both the clean and the drive channel, stompable boost on the drive channel, clean and drive mixer as well as master volume.

http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

greeny23

tasos

Hmmm greeny23 are these black jacks from tayda?

Tell us more about their quality! ;)

The Tone God

My take on the TS circuit. The Acute ModestScream.

It is highly user modifiable. All the mods can be applied on the fly just by adjusting the controls. No need to take the effect apart and no pops or noise during switching.

Overview of the features include:

• Six different diode types available in 18 different combinations for symmetrical and asymmetrical clipping options.
  • Four different frequency response ranges (a.k.a. FAT mod), stock, double, full, and half.
  • Four different opamps (RC4558, TL072, NE5532, TLC2272)
  • Adjustable clean blend
  • The min and max drive ranges have been increased

This makes for a total of 576 different TS variations are availible.

More info and demos can be had at the site. Feel free to fire up a thread if you have any in depth technical questions about it.

Your Tone God,

Andrew

nexekho

Quote from: The Tone God on November 21, 2011, 04:15:23 PM

More info and demos can be had at the site. Feel free to fire up a thread if you have any in depth technical questions about it.

Your Tone God,

Andrew
That thing is sweet.   :o  Are those screws around the dual 7-segments the buttons?
I made the transistor angry.

DavenPaget

Quote from: The Tone God on November 21, 2011, 04:15:23 PM
My take on the TS circuit. The Acute ModestScream.

It is highly user modifiable. All the mods can be applied on the fly just by adjusting the controls. No need to take the effect apart and no pops or noise during switching.

Overview of the features include:

• Six different diode types available in 18 different combinations for symmetrical and asymmetrical clipping options.
  • Four different frequency response ranges (a.k.a. FAT mod), stock, double, full, and half.
  • Four different opamps (RC4558, TL072, NE5532, TLC2272)
  • Adjustable clean blend
  • The min and max drive ranges have been increased

Your Tone God,

Andrew
Touch panels ?  :icon_mrgreen:
Hiatus

The Tone God

Quote from: nexekho on November 21, 2011, 04:37:25 PM
That thing is sweet.   :o  Are those screws around the dual 7-segments the buttons?

Thanks! Yes the screams on the cover plate are the controls. Left and right decrease and increase the value and the middle one selects the parameter. Pretty simple actually.

Andrew

ayayay!

Quote from: mattthegamer463 on November 21, 2011, 08:05:42 AM
Mike,

I know you are asking a VERY GOOD question there, and it's really good to bring up, so I certainly think people should think about that.  For me, I can bang out perf builds much faster than I can etch and drill a PCB, and it looks good plus mine haven't failed yet.  So for the smaller stuff I often just stick with it.  

Though I will be the first to admit: it can and does look lackluster even with the best builds.  It just doesn't look as clean as a PCB.  

I'd like to point out:  I've built a couple hundred pedalboards using just Smallbear or Radio Shack perfboards.  The only thing I've ever seen come back to me was 2 pedals for dead LEDs.  Done right, it's just as superior / less inferior as any PCB or vero design.  It's more about doing it right.  I think when done correctly, turret boards and posts/stud are the superior way to go from an engineering standpoint, but that's also a PITA and looks least appealing.  It's a catch 22.   :-\

The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

nexekho

Quote from: The Tone God on November 21, 2011, 05:04:02 PM

Thanks! Yes the screams on the cover plate are the controls. Left and right decrease and increase the value and the middle one selects the parameter. Pretty simple actually.

Andrew

Cool!  Are you using microswitches below the screws or capacitive sensing?  Actually, has anyone done anything with capacative buttons?  Would be quite cool to have some kind of switching or maybe even a wah control; IIRC they can be tuned to work at distances of centimetres.
I made the transistor angry.

DavenPaget

Quote from: nexekho on November 21, 2011, 05:12:47 PM
Quote from: The Tone God on November 21, 2011, 05:04:02 PM

Andrew

Cool!  Are you using microswitches below the screws or capacitive sensing?  Actually, has anyone done anything with capacative buttons?  Would be quite cool to have some kind of switching or maybe even a wah control; IIRC they can be tuned to work at distances of centimetres.
I'm actually thinking of a touchscreen rack effects unit ...
Hiatus

The Tone God

Capacitive sensing so no mechanical moving parts for the touch controls. Just the foot plate is mechanical which is essentially one moving part when assembled. I remember somewhere someone said that some rack manufacture back in the 80's made a bass effect rack device with touch controls but other then that I'm not sure. I think I'm the only one that is using this type of control in a production product. Its actually quite tough to have a touch control in a high gain audio environment. Most are noisy as hell. I had to design one from scratch that would not create noise in the audio spectrum. Most of the common touch controls are very limited to their ability to sense. The design I came up with can be modified to sense large distances. I was going to publish the design eventually for everyone to enjoy.

Andrew

greeny23

Quote from: tasos on November 21, 2011, 03:10:45 PM

yes they are.

they are really impressive for the price. have some locking issues sometimes, but not enough to care.

Galego

Quote from: The Tone God on November 21, 2011, 05:28:15 PM

Capacitive sensing so no mechanical moving parts for the touch controls. Just the foot plate is mechanical which is essentially one moving part when assembled. I remember somewhere someone said that some rack manufacture back in the 80's made a bass effect rack device with touch controls but other then that I'm not sure. I think I'm the only one that is using this type of control in a production product. Its actually quite tough to have a touch control in a high gain audio environment. Most are noisy as hell. I had to design one from scratch that would not create noise in the audio spectrum. Most of the common touch controls are very limited to their ability to sense. The design I came up with can be modified to sense large distances. I was going to publish the design eventually for everyone to enjoy.

Andrew

How do you control the parameters of the circuit? Digipots and cmos switching?

The Tone God

Quote from: Galego on November 22, 2011, 02:24:51 AM
How do you control the parameters of the circuit? Digipots and cmos switching?

Both and sometimes other techniques. It depends on how the particular parameter works and it's requirements.

Andrew

Pigyboy

Quote from: greeny23 on November 21, 2011, 06:08:32 PM
Quote from: tasos on November 21, 2011, 03:10:45 PM

yes they are.

they are really impressive for the price. have some locking issues sometimes, but not enough to care.

I'd beg to differ - I have seen those last about 2 years with not much usage then fall apart.  I suggest if you are looking to cut corners in your builds that budget jacks are the worst place to start.  I would use them for myself maybe but I would never sell a box with those in it - I couldn't sleep at night  :icon_eek:
And you'll have to admit, I'll be rich as shit
I'll just sit and grin, the money will roll right in....
                                                            - FANG

Galego

Quote from: The Tone God on November 22, 2011, 03:06:46 AM
Both and sometimes other techniques. It depends on how the particular parameter works and it's requirements.

Andrew

What digipots did you use? I've only tried the microchip mcp4xxxx ones, but they only handle 0-5v...