SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greeny23

Quote from: glops on December 09, 2011, 02:05:30 AM
Quote from: greeny23 on December 09, 2011, 01:57:31 AM
threw these together today, an electra and a fuzz face. just testing my perf skills.
pics

Good test!  Those diodes are beautiful!

thanks man, i got a huge bulk lot of them and others on ebay a month or so ago.

Quote from: DavenPaget on December 09, 2011, 02:33:54 AM
His electrolytic , rocks too , glass casing  :o

not an electro, but glass casing nonetheless.

chadder

its been a while.  here are a few pics of the stuff I've made recently.

outside shot of a mini TB looper

inside shot

heres a LPB type circuit i made for my friend alex.  i made the box for something else years ago and its just been sitting on a shelf.  Alex asked me to make him a booster so i figured i would save time and use this cool old enclosure

gut shot.  i added a dip switch for selectable input caps.  also socketed the tranny and color coded the tops of 3 different ones for him to try/swap as he see's fit.

close up

heres my old trusty DL4.  I've had this for years and its still kicking.  about 2-3 months ago the tap tempo switch came loose and shot across the room.  took the opportunity to change all the switches to hardwires momentarys, changed the led's to purple, painted the enclosure sparkly hot pink, painted the knobs with this nifty glow in the dark paint, added a switch/blue led for the double preset, and finally another momentary to momentarily defeat the double preset for some cool morph sounds.

ChadderBox Effects

greeny23

How did you get the metal nameplates off the DL4 without ruining them??

chadder

Quote from: greeny23 on December 09, 2011, 04:47:54 AM

the picture is hard to tell but the left side got slightly "rippled" from prying it off.  since then i have done about 5 dl4 mods for friends and I've come to this conclusion to get the nameplate off.....HEAT!!!   ;D  if you have a heat gun just blast it back and forth a bunch.  with enough heat the glue reactivates and becomes tacky again and you can get it right off. 
ChadderBox Effects

chadder

I've looked over this whole thread over time but can't recall if someone has ever done this.  apologies if its been covered, and if not i can only imagine what some of you crafty lil monkeys can do with this "technique".   

i painted the enclosure with "one shot" acrylic.  this stuff is awesome!  good coverage and is touch as nails.  a little pricey but a small can lasts a while.  i then proceeded to apply a thin coat of Gel Medium (art stuff used on canvas and other fine art) to a ripped out piece of magazine with a bunch of text on it.  placed the paper painted side down on the enclosure and smoothed it out to get rid of any air bubbles.  waited about an hr or so and then carefully removed the paper.  the results on this box were not quite what i desired but the overall look i actually enjoyed so i kept it.  the gel medium can transfer toner onto almost any surface.  I've done this with printouts of my own design but the results are always iffy, so i tend to just "collage" random clippings to give a one-off unique type of look.  Golden brand acrylic gel medium is what i use, although any type of gel medium or even gesso will work and can be found at almost any art store for a decent price.  if you do a google search for "gel medium transfer" you can find a great deal of info on the matter.  like i said earlier, I'm not sure if anyone has covered this but if not i am greatly happy to contribute to such a great forum in which i have learned so much over the years.  i think i just might start to be less voyeristic and actually start posting more regularly!  Cheers and great work by all of you!
ChadderBox Effects

greeny23

Quote from: chadder on December 09, 2011, 04:52:13 AM
Quote from: greeny23 on December 09, 2011, 04:47:54 AM

the picture is hard to tell but the left side got slightly "rippled" from prying it off.  since then i have done about 5 dl4 mods for friends and I've come to this conclusion to get the nameplate off.....HEAT!!!   ;D  if you have a heat gun just blast it back and forth a bunch.  with enough heat the glue reactivates and becomes tacky again and you can get it right off. 

thank you! i'll have to try it.

the amount i've ruined trying to get them off to paint is endless!

DavenPaget

Quote from: greeny23 on December 09, 2011, 02:47:08 AM
Quote from: glops on December 09, 2011, 02:05:30 AM
Quote from: greeny23 on December 09, 2011, 01:57:31 AM
threw these together today, an electra and a fuzz face. just testing my perf skills.
pics

Good test!  Those diodes are beautiful!

thanks man, i got a huge bulk lot of them and others on ebay a month or so ago.

Quote from: DavenPaget on December 09, 2011, 02:33:54 AM
His electrolytic , rocks too , glass casing  :o

not an electro, but glass casing nonetheless.
Not ? With the 20% rating and the +- polarized rating ... I don't know  :icon_mrgreen:
Hiatus

Thomeeque

Quote from: DavenPaget on December 09, 2011, 06:25:14 AM
Not ? With the 20% rating and the +- polarized rating ... I don't know  :icon_mrgreen:

It's a film cap, ±20% means that real value can be 20% less to 20% more than nominal value (1500pF here), nothing about "polarized"..
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

a soBer Newt

greeny23

Quote from: Thomeeque on December 09, 2011, 12:19:22 PM
Quote from: DavenPaget on December 09, 2011, 06:25:14 AM
Not ? With the 20% rating and the +- polarized rating ... I don't know  :icon_mrgreen:

It's a film cap, ±20% means that real value can be 20% less to 20% more than nominal value (1500pF here), nothing about "polarized"..

yup, thats it.

g.

earthtonesaudio

Rehoused the digital reverb unit from a 1998 Crate GFX212 combo, added a splitter/mixer circuit, fabricated everything:

John Lyons

Show off!  :D
Looks great, nice work.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

frank_p

glops

Quote from: earthtonesaudio on December 09, 2011, 11:24:07 PM
Rehoused the digital reverb unit from a 1998 Crate GFX212 combo, added a splitter/mixer circuit, fabricated everything:

Nice!

greeny23

frequencycentral

Quote from: earthtonesaudio on December 09, 2011, 11:24:07 PM

You made the enclosure and the knobs - that's awesome!
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Mac Walker

Silicon fuzz, in a DIY box....

Side shielding is from an aluminum can, two screws hold it all together......

Suicufnoc

Quote from: Mac Walker on December 10, 2011, 02:07:09 PM
Silicon fuzz, in a DIY box....

I've been thinking of building an enclosure similar to that.  Looks nice.
And two diy enclosures in a row, sweet!
Sticks and stones may break your bones, but words can get you shot

Earthscum

Figure I'll tease ya with part of one of my projects... this is an LED bezel, bottom of an aluminum soda can hammered out and layered with a ton of paint. Well, I took a bit more care than that, but that's the jist of it.

Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum