Previous topic - Next topic

John Lyons

^ Bullet knobs! Looking good.

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

NazzTazz

Quote from: jimmybjj on July 18, 2012, 08:19:51 AM
My latest effort, all smd resistors on back of pcb

Congrats for using those smd small things. Last time I made an order at farnell, I asked myself about stocking a few of these, then I remembered I drink WAY too much coffee :D

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: John Lyons on July 18, 2012, 10:51:16 AM

John.... Love the look on this one!

Simple....

Antiqe-y.....

Boutique-y....

Beautiful  ;D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

a soBer Newt

Quote from: NazzTazz on July 18, 2012, 12:26:53 PM

Congrats for using those smd small things. Last time I made an order at farnell, I asked myself about stocking a few of these, then I remembered I drink WAY too much coffee :D

I really like the idea of using SMT on one side and through hole on the other it can dramatically reduce board side.

Frances Rhodes

Quote from: John Lyons on July 18, 2012, 10:51:16 AM

john, as i already said it before... several times...  this is spotless!!
is this an ibanez standard fuzz (i believe the one with 2 stomp switches and 2 faders)... with a few mods?
"If it's too loud, you're not too old, it's Alancka Effectors."

https://www.facebook.com/alancka.effectors?sk=info

John Lyons

Thanks guys.
The Standard Fuzz + has an octave cut switch.
Then the Tone switch is replaced with a pot in order to be fully variable.
The FAT knob is a cap blend switch to vary the second coupling cap
in order to get a clearer snappier tone. This is mainly for the non octave mode
since the octave kind of blasts through everything. I also used silicon diodes to get
more level out of it as it doesn't make much of any difference in the clipping that I can tell.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

artifus

lovely work as always john.

Nikolay

Not exactly a finished stompbox but I will make it soon

Here is how the PCB looks:

A few words: This power supply unit is based over custom transformer with 5 independent isolated outputs. The stabilization of all outputs are based over LM317. First 4 outputs has CRC filter, Lm317 voltage regulator, extra discrete mosfet voltage regulator and current limiter up to 50mA to produce super clean and noise free outputs for pedals like wah pedals, distortions, boosters, compresors etc.
All other outputs will deliver about 300-400mA each section wich is enough for most stomboxes.

Fender3D

Hey Nikolay,
where do you get the power cables? (single DC - DC and coloured)
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

Nikolay

markeebee

Quote from: darron on July 18, 2012, 07:27:49 AM
Quote from: deadastronaut on July 18, 2012, 07:22:29 AM
^ very cool.....you spelt colour wrong   ;D ;)

that's only for us English speaking people... they have a variant on the language called American i believe... :D

Bonzer, Bruce.  Hooroo.

Magnus

Hello,

@John:
The pcb from your "Standard Fuzz" looks like bloody medical-tape - funny ;D

Greetings
Magnus
AMZ Booster, Dist. +, DOD 250,
Dr. Boogey, Fuzz Face's, JCM800-Emu, LPB1,
May Booster, Obsidian, Orange T/B-Booster,
Pentaboost, Prof. Tweed, Rangemaster's,
SansAmp GT2, Superfly (Amp), Guv'nor,
Tone Bender MKI/MKII/MKIII, TS 808

Fender3D

"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

roseblood11

Quote from: Magnus on July 19, 2012, 11:30:08 AM
@John:
The pcb from your "Standard Fuzz" looks like bloody medical-tape - funny ;D

The Burn Dressing Fuzz  ;D

midwayfair

Both build for my friend Michael Friedman. I have a print of Cafe Terrace at Night in my dining room, and Michael commented that it was one of his favorite pictures. He said that a French Cafe is the "best gig in the world." I really like to cook, too, so I took some inspiration from the van Gogh painting "Four Meager Onions" for the Fat Pants, added some sunflowers, and put my recipe for French Onion Soup on the side. (I bake my onions for an hour rather than fussing over them chained to the stove. The end result is identical to not messing up the traditional way -- perfectly evenly caramelized onions.) I thought the aluminum knobs looked like stock pots.

Madbean Fatpants.

And another Madbean Afterlife (John Hollis Flatline) with three knobs. I used a VTL5C1, which gives it a harder knee but faster attack than the C3 that 'Bean calls for.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

Valoosj

It's been a while since I built anything. Here's a little noisemaker

Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

skullservant

Super Hard On into a circuit I call the stampede, which has knobs for master volume, pregain, circuit gain, power starve, and oscillation, with a separate (middle) footswitch to toggle oscillation on and off. You can also turn the first fuzz circuit of the Stampede off and have a less intense fuzz sound.

garcho

@midwayfair

bravo! The French love music, try to play there some day if you can, you'll meet a lot of great people.

that's recipe's no joke either...  :-*
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Jdansti

Cool knobs! Are those 9mm or .380 casings epoxied onto the pot shafts?
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

jimmybjj

Quote from: Jdansti on July 22, 2012, 01:56:23 PM
Cool knobs! Are those 9mm or .380 casings epoxied onto the pot shafts?

They are 40cal. I used hot glue. I deeply scored the shaft of the pot to give the glue something to hold to. I didn't want to use epoxy in case i ever needed to remove the pot. It seems to be on there really good, only time will tell.