News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bret608

Sure is! Thai/Lao is part of my skill set/professional background that doesn't often pop up in the context of my pedal-building hobby.

Everyone who likes the Screwdriver and even the Harmonic Percolator (to an extent) should give this one a try, unless it's old hat already and I'm a day late/dollar short per usual!  :D

Perrow

That looks really nice, you really should do graphics on your boxes if they end up looking like that.

What's the thingy to the right of the DC-jack in the gutshot? Interesting placement of the DC-jack btw.
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

Bret608

Oh, it's a hard-tail battery snap, I'm afraid. I tried to do something different that I normally would and keep the battery leads short and on the same side as the DC jack, rather than looping it around the inside of the enclosure. The idea didn't work particularly well--the battery fits too tight, and somehow it's bumping against something else enough to make the circuit pick up the radio.

I used the same layout for the lower part of the enclosure as I did on my Screwdriver. On that build, I just left the battery leads long and it doesn't have any issues with RF. It's snug but not bumping against anything it shouldn't. You build you learn, I guess. Planning on replacing that when I feel motivated. I put the DC jack there because I was worried it would interfere with the diode switch if I put it at the top of the enclosure.

Thanks for the kind words!

Perrow

Quote from: Bret608 on September 24, 2013, 04:43:27 PM
Oh, it's a hard-tail battery snap, I'm afraid.

Doh, I went as far as "maybe it's something to hold the battery in place, but there's no battery snap"  ::)

I'm sorry to hear that you're afraid of battery snaps, perhaps you should stop using them  :icon_mrgreen:
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

Bret608

;D  Yes, I have bad dreams about them all the time! I'll be trying to tin the leads or something and just can't get it together. Just kidding...I should shut up before that actually starts happening!

robrhy

Quote from: trendyironicname on September 21, 2013, 09:04:59 PM
It's been awhile since I've posted but I've been super swamped with life.   Miss you guys.

Just watched the Brett Kingman demo of this pedal,awesome sound.

trendyironicname

Quote from: robrhy on September 25, 2013, 05:07:53 PM
Just watched the Brett Kingman demo of this pedal,awesome sound.

Thank you, very much.  I really lucked out on him doing such a nice one for me. 
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

aion

A Centaur I built. The PCB is available as the Refractor. This is a one-off custom job that's actually going to the guitarist of Imagine Dragons. It's a distressed etch using Rub-N-Buff to get the rust and gold color.

Next few are just gut shots, prototype/test builds for the PCB projects I just started doing. Nothing pretty on the front :) Here's the SDD-3000 (Eclipse). This is the +/-15V configuration with a Murata DC converter and a 5V regulator.

Boss FA-1 FET Amp (Prism) PCB - this is a prototype version of the PCB, the real one is red:

Bluesbreaker (Cerulean) PCB, set up as a Morning Glory with output gain stage and bright-cut switch.

adstrum

I'm interested in the 6.5mm sockets in those builds. Care to disclose where they came from?

peterg

Nice work Aion!

Quote from: adstrum on September 26, 2013, 08:07:58 AM
I'm interested in the 6.5mm sockets in those builds. Care to disclose where they came from?

Couple more questions:
Where did you get the knobs and the coloured PCBs?

John Lyons

Fuzz Face / Muff with an order switcher.

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

moosapotamus

Nicely done, John... as always. 8)

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

GGBB

Very nice as always John.  What's up with those indicators - are those lenses or flattened LEDs?  They look good.
  • SUPPORTER

musiclikscreams

John, only you can make a mess of cables like that look clean.  always impressed

aion

Quote from: adstrumI'm interested in the 6.5mm sockets in those builds. Care to disclose where they came from?
Those ones are from either Mammoth or Tayda (pretty much identical). But, I would strongly discourage using them for anything that needs to hold up. They're pretty cheaply made, thin metal, thin plastic, and about 1 in 5 is really loose. I don't trust them. I made the mistake of buying about a hundred of them awhile back but I can only use them on my prototype or test builds. Now I'll only ever use Switchcraft #111A's. They're pretty affordable if you buy more than 100 at a time (onlinecomponents.com had the best bulk pricing when I made my last order, at least in the USA). Definitely don't want to go the cheap route on the jacks, I've learned the hard way :)

Quote from: petergWhere did you get the knobs and the coloured PCBs?
Knobs came from Jameco: ValuePro aluminum knobs

The PCBs are actually for sale - I just launched the DIY projects part of my site this past weekend. You can check them all out here: Aion Electronics

They're all different colors except for green. Lots of fun. And there's a buy-2-get-1-free sale through next Tuesday, so... ;)

John Lyons

Thanks guys.
The LEDs are flat top diffused. Surplus new old stock...
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

kurtlives

Looks great John

What's the extra knobs for?

Mids on muff and input cap blend on FF and maybe a bias knob on the FF too?
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

John Lyons

^ Usually input cap blend but this one is Tone and Bias.

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

trendyironicname

I've always dug your stuff, John. This does not disappoint.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

alanp

Another Madbean Dirtbag Deluxe. Smallbear's "Fake 2k MN3005s" -- relabelled MN3008's in this one.

I figured someone might be interested in the switching system.

The Tone God's Wicked Switch setup. A bit of troubleshooting, but that was mainly due to my mistakes laying out the board.