News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Blast from the Past!!

This is a Phase 100 that I probably built about 4 or 5 years ago. Don't really use it much but.... it was a collaboration with my kids at the time so it has sentimental value!!!

Etched GGG PCB . This was quite the challenge at the time. Worked like a champ from the first try!  ;D

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

thelonious

Quote from: pickdropper on October 16, 2013, 09:11:28 AM
And that's where things get confusion with terminology.
Now, when I am etching a box (can't cut it anyway), I use a Raster operation even though I send a vector-based file.

You weren't kidding; that is confusing. It makes sense the way you explained it, though.

Looks like I will still be banging my head against the wall of reverse etch for a while. ;D I like the look too much to stop. Here's the latest experiment. It's a Honey Bee clone. I wanted to try translucent powder coating over a reverse etch to see what would happen. It makes the effect a lot more subtle because there's less contrast. This is probably the darkest powder I could use and still have it be successful. Lighter colors would work better I think, since they'd be more transparent. Also, with the glare of the glossy finish, the viewing angle is more important (see the difference between the two top pictures). I wonder if an anodized/matte finish powder would be better. Anyone tried that?

alanp

Quote from: thelonious on October 18, 2013, 02:26:59 PM
Looks like I will still be banging my head against the wall of reverse etch for a while. ;D I like the look too much to stop. Here's the latest experiment. It's a Honey Bee clone. I wanted to try translucent powder coating over a reverse etch to see what would happen. It makes the effect a lot more subtle because there's less contrast. This is probably the darkest powder I could use and still have it be successful. Lighter colors would work better I think, since they'd be more transparent. Also, with the glare of the glossy finish, the viewing angle is more important (see the difference between the two top pictures). I wonder if an anodized/matte finish powder would be better. Anyone tried that?

That is a beautiful finish, VERY beautiful. Dunno what the Honey Bee is (so many overdrives...), but it must sound good if it's in that!

Govt -- stock values, but I used a J201 FET for ease of finding the thing. (Could have been a 2n5457, I doubt it.)

SmoothAction

Wow, that Honey Bee looks delicious. Great work on that finish... I wanna eat it.
"Never heard a man speak like this man before, never heard a man speak like this man before. All the days of my life ever since I've been born, never heard a man speak like this man before."

Kipper4

I'm loving the honey bee and that custom enclosure too
Great work guys. :)
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

thelonious

Thanks, guys.

Quote from: SmoothAction on October 18, 2013, 04:24:27 PM
Wow, that Honey Bee looks delicious. Great work on that finish... I wanna eat it.

Ha! Maybe there's a market niche here... edible enclosures for the hungry musician on the road.  ;D You could make a mint. Or maybe just a mint-flavored one.  ::)

mth5044

Quote from: illcom on October 16, 2013, 10:06:17 PM
]

Looks great! For what purpose did you put both in and out jacks on the same side?

mthibeau

Some new builds I finished up, I tend to build 9-12 pedals over the course of a few months, use them in rehearsal, etc for a few months. Then when I can stand not having the bare aluminum boxes on my floor I paint a bunch at once... Here is the set I finished up last week.

Sorry, no gut shots... Nothing really special anyway, most are veroboard and kind of ugly inside.

A Meat Sphere (Meatball clone) using the musicpcb (Taylor's) board, I put a trimpot based booster inside to get it to envelope better with my single coils. I also put the effects loop on a switch.

A LSTR clone (big muff with scoop mods, etc), used some old knobs I scavenged from an old oscilloscope.

An MXR 117 Flanger clone (using the madbean Colossulus (sp?) board)

A Split n Blend, my bass player uses this one constantly (with a big muff or Rat)

An ROG condor cab sim, with Marshall 4 x 12 mod. Had some weird finish problems with the polyurethane over that maroon spraypaint, but didn't want to sand and start over.

An MXR Phase 90 clone on vero, used waterslide on this one, came out pretty good, sounds killer!

A DOD 250 overdrive clone (on Vero) in an "A" box, used some ACE brand copper spray that looks great, then black waterslide over it. Got the cool aluminum knobs from Smallbear

A Vox repeat percussion clone, love the look of this one.

Here is cool dual overdrive, OCD on the left, Eternity on the right, used a spray from the art store called "Glitter Blast", came out cool, but I had to use almost an entire can of clear over the glitter stuff before it sealed it in.

Cheers!

illcom

Quote from: mth5044 on October 18, 2013, 09:02:05 PM

Looks great! For what purpose did you put both in and out jacks on the same side?

just the way it fits on my pedalboard
pat

John Lyons

Nice boxes mthibeau. Those first two are my faves.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

pickdropper

Quote from: thelonious on October 18, 2013, 02:26:59 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on October 16, 2013, 09:11:28 AM
And that's where things get confusion with terminology.
Now, when I am etching a box (can't cut it anyway), I use a Raster operation even though I send a vector-based file.

You weren't kidding; that is confusing. It makes sense the way you explained it, though.

That may be a hassle, but you can't do that on a laser.  That looks utterly fantastic.

vto

Red Llama Clone - Simple and sounds great.

Zvex Wooly Mammoth Clone

juansolo

A couple of recent multis that I'm particularly pleased with

Space Ritual
The first effect is an UltraStoner fuzz on Pickdropper's MiniMuffin PCB, that goes into a Madbean Zero Point Dual Delay, followed by a Madbean StageFright (Maestro phaser) and finally into a 1776 Effects Rub-a-Dub reverb. The idea with this one was that all of these effects stand alone or will work with any or all of the others in order to create some great psyche soundscapes.

Run it at 720p for better audio.

Klonpressor
A Grind Customs Rotten Komp (Rothwell Lovesqueeze clone) into Pickdropper's MiniTaur buffered mini-Klone PCB.

storyboardist

Built another fuzz face clone (I gotta start branching out...), this time using some old terminal strips I salvaged out of an old stereo.

The output caps (ran 2, 5nF caps in parallel), the LED resistor, and most of the wire is from the same stereo. Used some NOS Russian МП38a germanium transistors and sound great!

garcho

@vto, nice stuff, welcome to the forum!
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

vto

@garcho

Thanks! I've only made a few pedals but I'm starting to get the bug so I'm guessing I'll be making a few more :)

juansolo

Lovetone Doppelganger clone

Built using LaceSensor's layout and most excellent instructions, etched by Haberdasher. I also need to give props to Soldersqueeze of the Madbean forum for sending me some Futurlec 2A LDRs gratis, you da man! For reference we used LM324 / LM358 in LFO side and TL074 / TL072 in audio side.

I omitted the expression pedal and dry out jacks because I'll never use them. Theres a bit of a twist on the pots as that's how they went in. As it was uniform I left them as they were. Oh and the indicator LEDS aren't soldered in on the top of the board pic, which is why they're wonky.

jrod

Wow! That's a heck of a build there juansolo! Looks awesome!

tubegeek

This is drilled and ready for an OCD clone - I have translated "OCD" to "attention to detail" because they're the same thing, right?
The main paint is rattle can: grey self etch primer, and then a mix of red and white mist coats. Then a little thinned shellac to iron the laser toner graphics onto (the shellac seems to help the toner iron on and stick to the paint better.) Finally some clear coats over the toner. Almost done, but my track record for this particular box is, that means I'm about to screw it up somehow. I've sanded this one clean four times already, and I still had to photoshop out some yucky spots before I was willing to put a photo up.
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

tubegeek

mthibeau: you have a nice way with a paint pen, I like the results! I think the black and white racing stripe one is my favorite.
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR