News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deeno

Hi guys, this is my hand painted "Woolly Mammoth Plus" with onboard pots and led and the "relax/push" control for active basses :)
sounds very very PRRRRRRRZZFRRRR :)

hope you like it!

bluebunny

Quote from: deeno on January 14, 2014, 08:16:54 AM

hope you like it!

Yup!

PRRRRRRRZZFRRRR

Is that a word??   ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

stallik

@Bluebunny it is now. And you know exactly what it sounds like

@Rob nearly, Chasm Reverb waiting for my Belkin brick, & I've got a box ready for a Klone though I'll probably never do that one as nothing so far has come close to a mk1 spitfire. However, I have 1 space left on my board and it doesn't matter whether I need anything else, I just got to fill it! Then it's on to a couple of combos - hi tech clear acrylic and a clockwork steampunk
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

stallik

@Deeno just noticed that you hand painted it. NICE
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Jdansti

• SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

deeno

Thanks guys!!!
From canvas to stompboxes is just one step! :D

jmwreck

smurfedelic smurfberry

lol @ zion overdrive,  how about GREEN FUZZ with a big green leaf?

Hi! My name is Petter and I'm from Sweden. This is my blog: http://ptelectronics.tumblr.com

electrosonic

Engineer's Thumb

I left out the threshold pot to make a four knob version.

Electro etched in copper sulfate

Single coil latching relay switched via SPST (idea from mictester on the free stomp box forum)

This thing is so quiet, and the controls seem really intuitive. Only got a chance to play with it for a few minutes - can't wait to try it at band practise tonight. One of my band mates has been bugging me to build him a compressor so I might have to make another.

Many thanks to Merlin for posting this project.

Andrew.
  • SUPPORTER

WyndBalduram

Andrew, which layout did you use for the Thumb, there?  I have been wanting to build one myself with a compact board like that.

Alex

LaceSensor

Please also post ur relay pcb?

davent

Andrew have you found a good (to Canada) source for quality single pole stompswitches?

Great looking build in and out!
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

electrosonic

QuoteAndrew, which layout did you use for the Thumb, there?  I have been wanting to build one myself with a compact board like that.

I did a layout in Eagle and had it fabbed via OSH Park. Kind of an ugly layout actually, but seems to work.

QuoteAndrew have you found a good (to Canada) source for quality single pole stompswitches?

Lee's Electronics in Vancouver sells Mexican made Carling SPSTs for about $7. Not cheap but they seem solid. I try to avoid cheap switches and jacks they take the most abuse, there is no real savings scrimping there.
I think I might use a simpler SPDT circuit for the latching relay next time (and use DPDT Alphas instead).

Andrew,
  • SUPPORTER

davent

Thanks Andrew, i've used a few of those Alphas and really like the way they feel and their short stature, also have a few of those Mictester suggested relays and done a few layouts for latching and momentary setups with his circuit. The Geofex latch works much better for me (only breadboard so far) then anything i've tried from that fsb thread.

Take care
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

electrosonic

The cool thing about mictester's setup is the way it discharges the cap though the relay when the SPST is opened. If you use a SPDT and alternate between grounding the cap and charging it you get the same effect with much less circuitry. The trade off I guess running three wires to the switch instead of two, and maybe a SPDT (really a DPDT because SPST are not readily available for cheap) is probably more robust as it has fewer moving parts.

Andrew.
  • SUPPORTER

LaceSensor

Quote from: electrosonic on January 16, 2014, 09:00:14 PM
QuoteAndrew, which layout did you use for the Thumb, there?  I have been wanting to build one myself with a compact board like that.

I did a layout in Eagle and had it fabbed via OSH Park. Kind of an ugly layout actually, but seems to work.

QuoteAndrew have you found a good (to Canada) source for quality single pole stompswitches?

Lee's Electronics in Vancouver sells Mexican made Carling SPSTs for about $7. Not cheap but they seem solid. I try to avoid cheap switches and jacks they take the most abuse, there is no real savings scrimping there.
I think I might use a simpler SPDT circuit for the latching relay next time (and use DPDT Alphas instead).

Andrew,

any chance of sharing those layouts, including the PCB for the relay bypass board please? many thanks

John Lyons

So I started drinking coffee.

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

electrosonic

Man that's cool. I love all the different textures.

Andrew.
  • SUPPORTER

electrosonic

Quoteany chance of sharing those layouts, including the PCB for the relay bypass board please? many thanks

I get my enclosures machined from the Tone God (http://thetonegod.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8_9&zenid=8b673a9055cde6f00688428832daaaad) and my relay board fits in tightly  - its taken me multiple revisions of the pcb to get it all sorted but I don't think you would have much luck hand drilling and having it all fit.

However I have revised the board to make a version with off board wiring for the jacks, using a DPDT -

This one sticks to the top of the enclosure between the jacks. There is a place for a SMD LED on the other side, I just need a hole in the top side of the enclosure and a gap in the double sided tape to let the light through (hope that makes sense). This is a tiny boat that costs something like $1.20 each from OSH Park. I have ordered it and once verified was planning on sharing it.

I also worked on a 3mm LED version - the LED is pointed through the board towards the top to the enclosure

I am still waiting on my OSH Park boards I ordered in the first week of December so it might be a while before I see these relay boards. (No fault of OSH Park), so it will probably be a month or so before I post them.

As far as sharing the Engineer's Thumb layout, I would like to revise it.The pads are too small and it would be a royal pain to troubleshoot as is, I will get to that too eventually .

Andrew.
  • SUPPORTER

darron

Quote from: John Lyons on January 17, 2014, 12:01:18 PM
So I started drinking coffee.

I think nescafe could seriously consider sponsoring your work...
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!