News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubegeek

Quote from: peterg on March 05, 2014, 05:05:30 PM
Stunning work Jubal81! How did you do the label plate?

He did it very, very, well. Duh!
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

peterg

Quote from: tubegeek on March 05, 2014, 06:26:24 PM
Quote from: peterg on March 05, 2014, 05:05:30 PM
Stunning work Jubal81! How did you do the label plate?

He did it very, very, well. Duh!

Ha! No kidding!

kingswayguitar

way to go jubal81
love that stones riff... listen to sticky fingers real loud, like 15" speakers on 10 loud... there's tons of reverb

Mustachio

Wow Jubal that's super impressive ! I love tweed , and wow a jfet spring reverb! Awesome!
"Hhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg"

jmwreck

here's an 808 and a rat

Focalized

Quote from: jmwreck on March 06, 2014, 02:19:45 AM
here's an 808 and a rat

Really like this. Looks complex with that labeling but it's quite simple. Very well done design.

BLACK AUDIO

I love this simple design. Is it 1590BB enclosure? I just trying to get into BB harmonic percolator, Black Arts Ritual and two LPB1  :icon_lol:

jimilee

Quote from: duck_arse on March 03, 2014, 09:55:08 AM
Quote from: Leston Braun on March 03, 2014, 09:47:15 AM
Quote from: moosapotamus on March 02, 2014, 05:29:59 PM
Quote from: Leston Braun on March 02, 2014, 01:11:54 PM

Awesome finish! Would love to hear how it was done.

~ Charlie

Just lots of spray paint - first white, then blue, then white green white red white yellow and white. Actually there is a layer of glow-in-the-dark spray under the red layer, it faintly glows around the edges, but also made the layers above that quite rough. After the layers are dry just sand it down unevenly around the box, then a coat of matte clear and its done.

oh, no! another box finishing technique we all need to master. I think I got the uneven sanding bit down pat, it's the rest that's going to trouble me.
Wait, do you sand between the layers, or after the final coat of white????

Leston Braun

Quote from: jimilee on March 06, 2014, 11:53:12 PM
Quote from: duck_arse on March 03, 2014, 09:55:08 AM
Quote from: Leston Braun on March 03, 2014, 09:47:15 AM
Quote from: moosapotamus on March 02, 2014, 05:29:59 PM
Quote from: Leston Braun on March 02, 2014, 01:11:54 PM

Awesome finish! Would love to hear how it was done.

~ Charlie

Just lots of spray paint - first white, then blue, then white green white red white yellow and white. Actually there is a layer of glow-in-the-dark spray under the red layer, it faintly glows around the edges, but also made the layers above that quite rough. After the layers are dry just sand it down unevenly around the box, then a coat of matte clear and its done.

oh, no! another box finishing technique we all need to master. I think I got the uneven sanding bit down pat, it's the rest that's going to trouble me.
Wait, do you sand between the layers, or after the final coat of white????

I sanded after the final coat of white. Should try some trickery, maybe adding some tape on to the box before the few first layers, then peel it off, resulting in deeper spots on the final surface, and you could have some pre-determined pattern on the final result.

Jdansti

^You could also create high and low spots before you paint by selectively hand sanding some small low spots into the aluminum.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

davent

^Or you could use heavy bodied acrylic mediums and heavily texture with those then paint (with acrylics) and sand back to level exposing the various colour layers...
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Will.mendil

Does someone have a layout for the revibe(1183). I see the different parts but maybe a diagram that shows how to link them together or any components that are off the pcbs?
Don't know what to do with a paritculare transistor? Check this website where stompbox pedals are listed by what transistors they use

http://scfxguide.wordpress.com/

tubegeek

I had some fun with the finishing on these - I used paint pens with Envirotex Lite on top. Not perfect by any means but certainly more fun than spray painting, and it's been too cold for that anyway.

Pics:
http://s680.photobucket.com/user/tubegeek-original/slideshow/asdf

"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

midwayfair

Bearhug Camp, commissioned by my buddy Keith for his nephew, who is a boy scout. Keith is basically giving him an entire rig -- a 100W Fender head, a 2x12 cabinet with Alnicos, an electric 12 string, and the Bearhug, along with an overdrive not yet determined.

And that is why you always hang up your food when you go camping. He wanted art kind of like Order of the Stick and xkcd combined.

Speaking of Bearhugs, here's one I built to send to Cyrus at Ovnilab for a possible review:

I also sent him an Engineer's Thumb and the Ghost Note (the Afterlife with threshold knob I built a while back), since those were on his "I want to review these" list.

Little Penguin Fuzz

This is an NPN MP38A Fuzz Face with no gain knob for a customer. He only wanted the volume external, but I talked him into some extra controls inside. Pregain, input bass control, bias ( of course), and switches to change the behavior of the pregain pot between Gagan's Easy Face and the Fuller mod. It's insanely loud -- the knob is set above unity. So it can do some legit treble booster settings. It sounded best to me biased pretty cold (6V). This is probably the only fuzz I've ever made that uses the "right" gain buckets and I can't say I'm exactly a fan of that, but it does sound pretty good and it behaves as expected.

And ... the Snow Day OD

I had the day off on Monday due to snow and thought I'd throw together an overdrive to pass the time. Instead I ended up designing a new project and spent the week working on it.

I'll do a project thread with some more info and a demo, but the short description is that it's a FET- and MOSFET-based amp simulation overdrive running on 18V that includes a switchable miniature compressor circuit and soft clipping in a "power tube" section. It has bits of several projects in it; and the really special thing about it (the mini compressor) isn't something I created (though I wish I had).

It sounds quite good. It goes from glassy "almost" cleans to either open or slightly compressed edge of breakup that feels very similar to one of my favorite amps, up to a medium gain compressed sound. It has lots of harmonics without sounding overly clipped, and a very wide dynamic range.

The art is inspired by (and borrows some images from) Calvin & Hobbes strips. The box came from John Lyons. It was pre-marked for three knobs and a switch (or second LED), and I actually designed the project specifically to fill this box ...

I also still need to do a build report for the Britannia from my demo, too, but unfortunately I didn't remember to take pictures before I loaned it to someone.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

Jdansti

^Cool stuff!  Love the dismembered Boy Scout!    :icon_twisted:
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

the666

HAO - Rust Driver (+Gain pot)

peterg

Quote from: Jdansti on March 09, 2014, 01:58:18 AM
^Cool stuff!  Love the dismembered Boy Scout!    :icon_twisted:

+1. Jon what is the snow day and bear hug switch board?

The666 - elcome to the forum. Great finish. How was it done?

Eddododo

High Class High Pass Filter

duck_arse

Quote from: midwayfair on March 09, 2014, 01:28:40 AM

Little Penguin Fuzz

This is an NPN MP38A Fuzz Face with no gain knob for a customer. He only wanted the volume external, but I talked him into some extra controls inside. Pregain, input bass control, bias ( of course), and switches to change the behavior of the pregain pot between Gagan's Easy Face and the Fuller mod. It's insanely loud -- the knob is set above unity. So it can do some legit treble booster settings. It sounded best to me biased pretty cold (6V).

brilliant, the very idea I needed. now I can plough on with a one-knob silliface. thanks, jon.

666 - that's some first post. doesn't look like you'll run outta caps for a while, either.

tubeg - do you always put yr jacks at the top, or have you moved them? I ask this as I'm about to start shifting from the top to the sides.

granny at the G next satdy eh.

midwayfair

Quote from: peterg on March 09, 2014, 08:58:39 AM
Jon what is the snow day and bear hug switch board?

It's 1776 Effects's optical bypass. It's great (no switch pops at all), and I plan on using it whenever it will fit.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!