Tycobrahe Octavia TOO LOUD!

Started by Delay, August 24, 2005, 07:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delay

Some time ago, I build a Tycobrahe Octavia clone..it works perfectly, but it's sound best to me when both VOLUME (=output level) and BOOST (=gain/octave) knobs are at full level.
There's some way to reduce the output of this pedal?
I've changed the Volume pot from 500k to 250k, but there wasn't a big difference..
Thanks!
Filippo

smccusker

shouldnt you have replaced the pot for a higher value?

I had this exact problem, because i used higher gain transistors in mine, so I put a resistor between the wiper lug of the volume pot and output capacitor.
Guitar -> Amp

Pedal love

Which transistors did you use?  mpsa18+2x2N3906?pl

smccusker

2X mpsa18 and a 2n3906

Id sourced the parts from the pos ground circuit, but built from the neg ground one at GGG.

so theres a whole lot more gain there than was supposed to be.
Its a shame though, the resistor (4m7, mind you) got it down to a useable level, but im sure it doesnt osund as good.
someone suggested putting a cap in series with the resistor, maybe to compensate for some of the bass loss caused by the resistence.
Any thoughts?
Guitar -> Amp

Pedal love

And ah, which transistors did you use delay?pl

smccusker

Guitar -> Amp

Pedal love

Its ok...  :D  I was just interested in which transistors, but I really don't have any more comments, so I'll stand down now and leave delay, in the capable hands of smccusker. :D pl

petemoore

maybe to compensate for some of the bass loss caused by the resistence.
 A cap across the signal path lugs of the pot.
 Figureing out the small value is the tricky part.
 A voltage divider is another option, 2x 470k seriesed from SP to ground, output pot input lug from the 470k junction, adjust as necessary.
 I have n/p with lack of highs with the Tycho, I don't know what difference using 100k does, probably not much.
 Volume pot voicing, easily overlooked.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

smccusker

I'll have to dust the old tychobrahe off and try some of those, thanks!
Guitar -> Amp

Delay

Quote from: Pedal loveWhich transistors did you use?  mpsa18+2x2N3906?pl

I've build the Neoctavia project of tonepad.com, it doesn't use any transistor just two Ge diodes (1n34) and an IC (RC4558P)..what IC should I use to reduce the output?

Thanks!
Filippo.