Solder a Germanium Transistor

Started by rocker-D82, August 25, 2005, 02:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rocker-D82

Can I solder a Germanium Transistor? What kind of solder I need?
I have 3 AC188 and 4 AC187 into a case like this:

AL

Yes, you can solder them. But NO I wouldn't do that.

Germaniums are pricey and not easy to come by. Use a socket instead. You can get sockets at Small Bear Electronics.

AL

nelson

Or cut up an IC socket and use that as a transistor socket.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

dadude

Use a heat sink AKA a roach clip and if you hit the leads lightly you'll be in the pink. Or the green...

petemoore

As much as I like socket....
 I put together an EZ Face using the RS type wiperlug sockets, 8 pin IC, one side for the transistor and maybe one lug of the cap, the other side for another component I would want to alter values of.
 These wiper type IC Sockets were really not designed to be cut in half, even though they're wobbly that way I've got LotS of them put in like that with N/p...
 Except I like the solidity of the complete socket better and it's easier to plug in the transistors without accidentally bending the legs when the socket moves under the pressure.
 If you're going without sockets [since you have a handful of Ge's there I'd get some sockets] just be sure you've got the right lead [the one your about to be touching the soldering iron to] heat sinked prior to soldering.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Connoisseur of Distortion

i'm with nelson. you're bound to have a couple of huge, useless sockets that would make a handful of perfectly good sockets.

they work awesome with TO-92 packages, and workable with most others

formerMember1

When i first started fx building/modifing, way back in May2005,(yeah a long time ago :wink: ) I didn't know about sockets.  I swapped Ge trannys in my dunlop fuzzface numerous times, then also swapped ones i already tried again, and again, Never had any trouble.  I did use  a heat sink though.  then when i decided to try Smallbears Trannys i blew the first one up, :roll:  I still didn't  use sockets.  

But now i do. :wink:
Safer, easier,

Also if at a later date you decide to mod the pedal some more(which you will :wink: ) you can take out the transistors and change some parts, then put transistors back in sockets, not having to worry about damaging them.

Sometimes i forget to do that though,  i will remove a tranny, change another part and pack pedal back up, Then when i fire it up, i wonder why it doesn't work. then i realize i forgot to put my tranny back in the circuit.

good luck

Hey guys other than Ge trannys, IC's, diodes, What else should someone heatsink/socket?  Any capacitors?

petemoore

Well if they could be counted on to sound the same or even good as figured out before installing them...
 Sockets and trimpots make it much easier to 'interview' Ge transistor units for the available positions.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.