Trannies as diodes, does PNP, NPN matter?

Started by tungngruv, August 25, 2005, 08:41:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tungngruv

When using a sil. or germ. trannie as a diode, does it NPN or PNP make a difference or can both types be used in any circuit as long as it's being used as a diode only? Thanks for any ideas about this.

smccusker

Whoops, I didnt read the question properly.  :oops:
Guitar -> Amp

R.G.

No perceptible difference to any circuit we're likely to use.

Remember that the collector-base junction is a high voltage/low leakage junction better for diode use than the low voltage (about 6V) of the base emitter junction.

BE's make fine 5-7V zeners if you're willing to take pot luck on the voltage.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

petemoore

note of course the arrow in the transistor data sheet that indicates diode direction and PNP or NPN.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

tungngruv

QuoteMy understanding (which is probably incorrect) is that to use an PNP transistor instead of an NPN, you have to reverse the poliarity of all the electrolytic caps, and also put the transistor in backwards.

I think it's just reverse all polarity of electro's, diodes and battery when used normally as trannies. As diodes, so as long as I connect the base/emitter and use the collector as negative, both NPN and PNP can be used as diodes, right? Thanks again!! Thanks R.G.!!!! :D