Rocktave Divider, dynamic section, is mine really working?

Started by Gripp, August 26, 2005, 04:18:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gripp

Hi forum!

I've recently been building a lot more again and the latest creation is the Craig Anderton rocktave divider (schem and description @ http://ampage.org/hammer/files/rocktave.pdf), layout by Dean Hazelwanter (Layout @ http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=57&Itemid=87).

It isn't boxed yet and I know that the hum going in in various places is probably confusing the circuit as well.

Anyhow, How much of the clean envelope signal is really suppose to modulate the divided/squared signals?

I find Craigs descriptions a bit confusing. In the beginning of the article he talks about only the decay part (p2) being followed and at the end of the article (p5) there's talk about fuzz with dynamics sound suggesting to me more of a "follow the dynamics" ala an EH graphic fuzz or something. If I only knew the inner workings of the NE570 (IC 2a and b in the schem) presently installed and its exact function in this context...

What mine is doing right now is more of a  fast low threshold gate that still let's the sputtering through. I did scope the output from the expander (point E, going to tone ctrl) and there was absolutely no difference in amplitude at this point when I varied the input amplitude (signal generator going to input of the entire circuit). Everything else working as expected. I thought that slaving the expander section to the compression section via pin 1 to diode d1 to pin 16 on the NE570 would impose the entire ingoing envelope but with slightly reduced amplitude overall, no?

Then I moved the probe to pin 16 of the NE570 where I expected to see some sort of control voltage but I only got a dead steady DC that didn't vary with input amplitude. Was unfortunately too tired to write that voltage down and now I'm at work. After trying to read the NE570 datasheet I realized that I'm probably really looking for a control current, but wouldn't that give a voltage over R23?

And if someone still is reading this lengthy post  :wink: and also have a good explanation of the output mixer in this circuit ( build around IC 1c), I'm all ears!
Edit: Ok...I think I got where the bias comes from. The NE570 has an internal Vref and and the divided/fuzzed signals coming from there are dc coupled to the noniverting input of IC 1c, right? Still I don't comprehend this mixer fully...

A nice weekend to all!
/Pelle G