News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Red Ranger talk

Started by petemoore, September 03, 2005, 02:16:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

Q1 in the red ranger looks like a 'backward' [the collector resistor is 3x as small as the emitter R] biased gain stage...I Dont know how that works...it'd look more 'worrisome' if it weren't a posting at Tonepad, rasised curiousity all the same.
 Q2 and 3 look like a 'treble enhanced' 2Qfeedback loop stage [FF], except that Q3 is 'upside down' [E to V+] and the collector is decoupled to ground...and Q3"C is driving the feedback loop...interesting design indeed.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

Pete,

I have simulated the red ranger circuit and it works fine. The warning I gave you is because I'm not aware that anybody has built it.

I can give you voltage readings from the simulation if you need them.

Fp
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

B Tremblay

Well, I can confirm that this schematic (which appears to be what Tonepad based their project upon) works.  Also, on that page you can see the transistor pin voltages from when I had it on the breadboard.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

B,

My project is based on the factory schematic that was sent to me by Gordon D Power, dated 1975.

It matches yours as far as I can see.

Fp
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

B Tremblay

Both the factory schematic that I've seen and JD Sleep's redraw of it are positive ground and use a 6k8 resistor at SW1a.  My redraw converted the circuit to negative ground and changed that 6k8 to 8k2 (for a more unified output level between modes).
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com