Broken potentiometer??

Started by Fumi SG, September 04, 2005, 08:18:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fumi SG

Hi,

Lately I finished my stompbox, MXR Disto+ clone modified. But my gainpot isn't working well. When I turn it between closed and about 4 'o clock my signal is clean, and nothing BUT clean. Not even a little distortion. When I turn it between 4 'o clock and max I hear some noises, but I do have a distorted sound. When I turn it to max my sound is ok, that's not my problem, but it's just the potmeter. What could it be??

Thanks!

Mark Hammer

It could be an issue of pot taper (i.e., the rate at which the resistance of the pot changes as you turn it), or it could be a dirty or otherwise malfunctioning pot.  First, clean it to make sure it is making decent contact.  Then, if you have some means of doing it (and I'm hoping you didn't cover it in epoxy!), measure the pot resistance as you rotate it.  You may well notice some correspondance between the resistance value and un/desirable tones.  That may also provide info on promising tapers to explore.

Fumi SG

my gues is that it's malfunctioning. I'm about to order parts for my next project so I'll order an extra potmeter. We'll see... Thanks! :wink: