News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Buzz-box

Started by Yun, September 24, 2005, 10:42:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yun

Hey guys, been a while since i posted a build report, just been way too buisy, you know?

I've built quite a few buzz boxes (the bazz fuss varient) But last night- i think i (finally) Gots the PERFECT values. 

-Input cap= 15uf ; the rest are 20uf
-100K resistors instead of 10K
-1Meg for volume
-100K for fuzz
-added a GE diode clipping circuit (for that squelch sound when soloing  ;)  )

I really love this thing!  It tottally blows away every fuzz on my pedal board!  Youse guys should DEFINATELY try it with these values. 

For infinate sustain; just put a compressor in front of it  ;D  .   

Tell me what youse guys think....
"It's Better to live a lie, and forget the past, then to Forget a lie, and live the past"

Yun

"It's Better to live a lie, and forget the past, then to Forget a lie, and live the past"

JimRayden

The 914's are silicones, right? Where should I connect the Ge's? Replace the Si's or is there more to it?

-----------
Jimbo

aron

It sure looks like it would have a serious BUZZ!

Yep, I'm assuming, just change the diodes to Ge for a squishier sound.

Yun

Jim, i built it with GE's As the diode clipping circuit; the other 2 diodes i replaced with silicons (the diodes that go from base to collector)

Yes; it does have serious buzz!  Nice splatty, fizzy, 60's garage fuzz tones as well.  Definately worth building, man....

JimRayden

Oh boy I need a breadboard, then I'll try the buzz out.

I socketed everything on my current project and it's so damn fun.

-----------
Jimbo

Yun

Definately use GE's for the diode clipping circuit, guys.  i just built one with all silicon; sounds too beefy/muddy- which is wierd. 

Stevo

I dont know this circuit but a guess is....the 100k pot would kill the sound turned all the way clockwise no grounds for the emitters is this looking like that to others?? Dont you need a resistor in there in series and maybe even a 10uf cap would add some tone??in parallel??
practice cause time does not stop...

Yun

Quote from: Stevo on September 24, 2005, 06:10:59 PM
I dont know this circuit but a guess is....the 100k pot would kill the sound turned all the way clockwise no grounds for the emitters is this looking like that to others?? Dont you need a resistor in there in series and maybe even a 10uf cap would add some tone??in parallel??

Not really, man.  It's a fuzz control, by the way.  It does work backwards, but works good as a fuzz-control....

If you're worried about grounds- i connected all my grounds to The ring of the IN/output jacks (the 2 jack's rings are connected, of course)

If you want, you can save the schematic image that i made, open it up in your editing software, and modify/edit the schematic.  Because i think i know what you mean, i'm just not 100% sure.  So i don't wanna give a wrong answer, you know?

But like i said; it worked fine as-is in mines....

jmusser

I really like the sound of the original buzz box I built, and I don't think I've ever met a Bazz Fuzz variant I haven't liked. Here's a name for you: "Bazz-O-Matic". That will be in the honor of Dan Akroid of Saturday Night Live Fame, putting a whole bass in a blender and whiring it to a brown foam in the "Bass-O-Matic". After that, he poured a nice tall glass(hopefully they cut away), and Lorain Newman took a big gulp, and said "Mmmmm,that's great bass"!
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Yun

Quote from: jmusser on September 24, 2005, 06:58:56 PM
I really like the sound of the original buzz box I built, and I don't think I've ever met a Bazz Fuzz variant I haven't liked. Here's a name for you: "Bazz-O-Matic". That will be in the honor of Dan Akroid of Saturday Night Live Fame, putting a whole bass in a blender and whiring it to a brown foam in the "Bass-O-Matic". After that, he poured a nice tall glass(hopefully they cut away), and Lorain Newman took a big gulp, and said "Mmmmm,that's great bass"!

Hmmmm, that's a groovy name, man....

Or M1-A1 Automatic buzz-tone .   8)

JimRayden

Oh yay, one more name topic. :D

My offer is:

"Bzzzzzzzz"

---------
Jimbo

Yun

Great one, Mr.Jim  ;D

Has anyone built my version of the buzz-box yet eh?

jmusser

Actually my name is Jeff. I'm at work this weeked for three 12 hour shifts, so I won't be building it for a little while. I have all the stuff though, so I'll give it a shot eventually. For some reason, the Bazz Fuzz has been the base for several other circuits, sort of like the Fuzz Face has been. If I remember right, Christian (Hemmo) designed the circuit. It's been a dandy for spawning variants.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Yun

Quote from: jmusser on September 24, 2005, 09:46:08 PM
Actually my name is Jeff. I'm at work this weeked for three 12 hour shifts, so I won't be building it for a little while. I have all the stuff though, so I'll give it a shot eventually. For some reason, the Bazz Fuzz has been the base for several other circuits, sort of like the Fuzz Face has been. If I remember right, Christian (Hemmo) designed the circuit. It's been a dandy for spawning variants.

I was talking to jimrayden, man  ;) .  However:  Pleased to meet youse, mr.Jeff  8)

I agree, man.  The bazz fuss is another one of those simple revolutionary circuits.  i love it; there's so much you can do with it. 

Speaking of which; i was thinking of making a new one with a Swolen pickle tone stack.  But i'm afraid it'll sound too bassy, you know?  Then again; i could go with 10UF input cap, and 15UF caps to preseve the trebble....

Yeah; christian designed it, man.  Now that guy is a genious beyond brain surgeons. 

Here's a fuzz i just came up with a few hours ago actually:

I call it the sucker punch fuzz.  It's bassically all my faveorite FF varients all slaped together; and i added a diode clipping circuit.  Mr.Tim is another one o' those genious brain surgeons, by the way....

Anyhoo; what do youse guys think of the sucker-Punch Fuzz eh?

Yun

And finally; may i present to you:  The Buzz-Tone V.2

For us who are circuit blind (like me  ;) ) i added my personal variation of the BMP style tone stack.  Note the .0033uf cap instead of the stock .004uf cap.  i went with the .0033uf cap to preserve the "pierceing tone" while still buzzy. 

Anyhoo; enuff of my technical blabber mouth Take a look for yourself; and let us get to building  ;D

Tell me what youse guys think o' that  8)

aron

Although I wasn't going for mega buzz, my old circuit has a passing resemblence ;)

petemoore

Yun, what kind of transistor are you having in there?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Yun

Quote from: petemoore on September 25, 2005, 01:17:28 AM
  Yun, what kind of transistor are you having in there?

I would love to say MPSA13's, but i'll be honest (and embarassed) and tell the truth:  Radio shack NPN specials (the pack with "30 NPN type transistors")

;D

petemoore

:D

That'll work !!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.