Building Phase 45 with Vibe mods ... question ...

Started by Melanhead, September 27, 2005, 11:06:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melanhead

Is it of any value to have the Phaser/Univibe as a footswitch or are do the setting have to be moved around too much to make both sound good ???

MartyMart

You could "footswitch" it, but that change is subtle !!
You're correct, those "knobs need 'a tweakin" to get a
different "vibe" ..... sorry !!

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Paul Marossy

Unless you had two sets of knobs so each "channel" could have its own presets...

Eirik

I've been looking for a schematic for this one! Can anyone tell me where to find it? Please!
My search told me there is a veroboard layout floating around aswell, but i can't find it... :(
Eirik

spudulike

Eirik

Thank you Spudulike!!!  ;D I can't wait to build it :D
Eirik

Melanhead

Quote from: MartyMart on September 27, 2005, 11:25:18 AM
You could "footswitch" it, but that change is subtle !!
You're correct, those "knobs need 'a tweakin" to get a
different "vibe" ..... sorry !!

Marty.

Yup ... pretty much what I thought, just wanted to make sure ... thanks all....

tungngruv

You know, on mine if I have it on "vibe", there is a distinct "pulsing" going on if I back the mix control off. Then if I set it on phase and max the mix knob out, it gets a real cool phase tone, almost like a flanger sweep. Two very different sounds. I built it from Torchy's layout, matched my own fet's and mounted a 100k trim pot on the vero for the bias control (mine was too touchy to mount on the face of the pedal, better to set it, then leave it alone on mine). I also noticed that it sounds the best when the gain is from a fuzz/distortion pedal and the amp is set to a cleaner tone. Just my experience.

Melanhead

Quote from: tungngruv on September 28, 2005, 11:47:27 AM
You know, on mine if I have it on "vibe", there is a distinct "pulsing" going on if I back the mix control off. Then if I set it on phase and max the mix knob out, it gets a real cool phase tone, almost like a flanger sweep. Two very different sounds. I built it from Torchy's layout, matched my own fet's and mounted a 100k trim pot on the vero for the bias control (mine was too touchy to mount on the face of the pedal, better to set it, then leave it alone on mine). I also noticed that it sounds the best when the gain is from a fuzz/distortion pedal and the amp is set to a cleaner tone. Just my experience.

Great! thanks ... I was wondering about the Bias control .... I may do the same thing ...

MartyMart

Hmm, I like having the "bias" external, with some fine tuning it can help get
closer to a "vibrato" tone , just my 2c's

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Melanhead

Quote from: MartyMart on September 28, 2005, 12:46:45 PM

Hmm, I like having the "bias" external, with some fine tuning it can help get
closer to a "vibrato" tone , just my 2c's

Marty.

Okay .. maybe I'll try that too :) ... Who knows! .... I have a matched set of 2N5952, anyone use these in this build ??

tungngruv

I had my bias external at the start but the sweet spot on mine was within about an 1/8 th inch spot of the pot rotation. Then it would get bumped and not sound nearly as good. It just worked for me to have it inside set to where both modes work. On mine the mix control made all the difference in the vibe and phase effect.

Melanhead

speaking of mix ... Is it crucial to use a 22k pot ??? All I have close to that is a 50K ... I don't really wanna place an order for one pot if I don't have to :)

petemoore

I have a matched set of 2N5952, anyone use these in this build///[Yes]
  Is it crucial to use a 22k pot  All I have close to that is a 50K..///{ Probably not, but you can find out by using the 50k pot, then tag a 47k fixed resistor across it's outside lugs [lugs 1 and 3] which will equate it to closer to 22k, use the DMM to find it's 'actual' value...which it not neccesary to be exact.
  If it's a blend pot, 50k would put a bit more series resistance to the signal path than 22k.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Melanhead

Quote from: petemoore on September 29, 2005, 09:39:53 AM
I have a matched set of 2N5952, anyone use these in this build///[Yes]
  Is it crucial to use a 22k pot  All I have close to that is a 50K..///{ Probably not, but you can find out by using the 50k pot, then tag a 47k fixed resistor across it's outside lugs [lugs 1 and 3] which will equate it to closer to 22k, use the DMM to find it's 'actual' value...which it not neccesary to be exact.
  If it's a blend pot, 50k would put a bit more series resistance to the signal path than 22k.

Thanks!

slacker

Quote from: tungngruv on September 28, 2005, 01:49:08 PM
I had my bias external at the start but the sweet spot on mine was within about an 1/8 th inch spot of the pot rotation. Then it would get bumped and not sound nearly as good. It just worked for me to have it inside set to where both modes work.

I had the same problem with mine, the bias pot only worked over a very small range. I modded mine to use a 10K pot instead, this works over it's entire rotation and makes the bias pot much more useable as an external control for colouring the sound.
If you're lucky you might get away with simply replacing the 100K pot with a 10K one. On mine that didn't work though because the sweet spot was outside the range of the pot, so I had to adjust the resistors either side of the pot to get the sweet spot within the range of the pot. You could do this by trial and error or like this using a bit of maths.
To make thinks easier I kept the lower 47K resistor (R25) and just adjusted the top one (R26).
Set the 100K pot to the sweet spot then measure the voltage off the centre lug of the bias pot (spvoltage). Then measure vref.
Use this formula which will calculate the value for R26 needed to put the sweet spot in the centre of the 10K pot.

52/(spvoltage/vref)-57 = R26 in Kohms

Hope this helps

tungngruv

smccusker

I have a question, I built this from torchy's layout, and I'm quite sure  I have a matched set of jfets in there (I didnt build a tester, i just used the suggested method of only using one fet in the circuit at a time and sweeping the bias control until the effect starts to appear), and the circiut sounds great, but I can't for the live of me work out what the mix control is supposed to do. When the pot is set at minimum resistance, it has a full, very lush sounding effect, but if i back it off the effect dies out very very quickly and then then for the rest of the rotation there is no effect at all (it just sounds clean). I definitely haven't used a log pot, so have i made a mistake elswhere? It's not really that much of an issue because i love the sound at its strongest anyway, but i've just never really gotten why the mix control was included.
Guitar -> Amp

Melanhead

Quote from: slacker on September 29, 2005, 03:41:06 PM
Quote from: tungngruv on September 28, 2005, 01:49:08 PM
I had my bias external at the start but the sweet spot on mine was within about an 1/8 th inch spot of the pot rotation. Then it would get bumped and not sound nearly as good. It just worked for me to have it inside set to where both modes work.

I had the same problem with mine, the bias pot only worked over a very small range. I modded mine to use a 10K pot instead, this works over it's entire rotation and makes the bias pot much more useable as an external control for colouring the sound.
If you're lucky you might get away with simply replacing the 100K pot with a 10K one. On mine that didn't work though because the sweet spot was outside the range of the pot, so I had to adjust the resistors either side of the pot to get the sweet spot within the range of the pot. You could do this by trial and error or like this using a bit of maths.
To make thinks easier I kept the lower 47K resistor (R25) and just adjusted the top one (R26).
Set the 100K pot to the sweet spot then measure the voltage off the centre lug of the bias pot (spvoltage). Then measure vref.
Use this formula which will calculate the value for R26 needed to put the sweet spot in the centre of the 10K pot.

52/(spvoltage/vref)-57 = R26 in Kohms

Hope this helps

Great! ...thanks for that! ....

slacker

Quote from: Melanhead on September 30, 2005, 06:47:31 AM
Great! ...thanks for that! ....

cheers :)
If anyone tries this mod can you let me know how it goes. I've only done it on mine, and the 10K gives about the right range, I don't know if it will work with all JFETS though or whether some might work over a larger range. and therfore need a bigger pot or smaller resisitors.