can you use a computer power supply to power pedals?

Started by southtown, September 28, 2005, 02:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

southtown

as the title asks, is this a ok method, i have a few old computers which have crapped out but the supplies are all good...

wui223

Shouldnt be a problem. But PC power supply give 12V and 5V if not mistaken. So u need to tweak it a bit

southtown

Quote from: wui223 on September 28, 2005, 03:24:46 AM
Shouldnt be a problem. But PC power supply give 12V and 5V if not mistaken. So u need to tweak it a bit

but if all my componentys were rated for over 12v it shud be sweet a, like for a ruby, if i used a 386 which can handle 18v and 16v electrotic caps it will be all good?

SaBer

Quote from: southtown on September 28, 2005, 03:41:50 AM
Quote from: wui223 on September 28, 2005, 03:24:46 AM

but if all my componentys were rated for over 12v it shud be sweet a, like for a ruby, if i used a 386 which can handle 18v and 16v electrotic caps it will be all good?

Yes everything should be ok. You'll have to remember that modern computer powersupplies need certain pins connected in order to power up. Google should be able help you with this.

BTW, computer power supplies are great for prototyping op-amp circuits. You can power them with +/- 12V and don't need to worry about dc-filtering caps etc.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

seanm

A word of caution: Many (most?) computer power supplies have minimum current drains you must guarentee or the power supply will become unstable. I had a lot of problems specing power supplies for a low power computer. I didn't draw enough current!

smallbearelec

A better design for powering pedals is a Small Wart:

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Projects/ProjandProd.html

If you have the construction chops to SAFELY modify a computer power supply in the first place, you can build a Small Wart. If you don't, do buy something commercial and made for the purpose. Remember Keen's First Law: Mother Nature will bite without warning you!

mojotron

Quote from: smallbearelec on September 30, 2005, 11:59:15 PM
A better design for powering pedals is a Small Wart:

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Projects/ProjandProd.html

If you have the construction chops to SAFELY modify a computer power supply in the first place, you can build a Small Wart. If you don't, do buy something commercial and made for the purpose. Remember Keen's First Law: Mother Nature will bite without warning you!

You can get all the parts to build a really nice supply - like the small wart - by parting out one of the power supplies.