DC IN jack not working!!!

Started by Hailstorm350, September 28, 2005, 08:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hailstorm350

Hello all,
If you read my previous post on my BSIAB II problem, then you will know why I am having problems.

The 9vdcin jack I got from smallbear is great, only when nothing is plugged into it, all of the terminals are connected internally!  this is a problem, as you know because it crosses over the +9vdc to -9vdc on the battery, and that freaks the battery out.  Can anyone help me figure out why this is happening?

or just tell me how I should set it up.  the type is the metal switchcraft kind. ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Please help me figure out how to defeat this bugger of a problem (burnt out my beautiful orange LED!) :'( :'( :'(

thanks,
Ken
Now, don't you start that again!

KORGULL

Quotethe type is the metal switchcraft kind.
Is your enclosure metal? If so, do you have the jack insulated so it doesn't touch the box directly and short out?

niftydog

Quoteall of the terminals are connected internally!

that's bad. It should only short two of the terminals, if it's of the same type I'm thinking of.

Check KORGULLs idea by checking for continuity between the terminals and the metal case.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

Mike Burgundy

Did a short in the DC-connector burn out the LED in the pedal? I don't see that happening at all. How did this happen?
I sincerely doubt there is any way to fry the pedal's LED by shorting the DC connector. Is it really dead?

KORGULL

QuoteDid a short in the DC-connector burn out the LED in the pedal? I don't see that happening at all. How did this happen?
If I remember correctly, in Hailstorm350's previous thread, he burnt the LED out by putting it directly across the battery.
...or is this a different LED?

vanhansen

Ok, I'm assuming the DC jack is a switching DC jack, meaning that there are 3 lugs on it.  2 connect to the outer sleeve (positive) and the other one connects to the tip (negative).  The reason there are 2 to the sleeve is because one of them is disconnected from the sleeve when you insert a plug in to the DC jack.  This is how you go from battery power to DC adaptor power.  The battery positive should go to the lug that gets disconnected when the DC plug is inserted.  The other two have the normal hookups, sleeve to +DC on the board and the tip lug to ground.

Just follow the diagram on the site:

or

If you have the metal one, you need to isolate it from the enclosure or you are shorting both the positive and negative together.  Remember how the battery got really hot?
Erik

birt

how do you guys insulate those metal ones?
http://www.last.fm/user/birt/
visit http://www.effectsdatabase.com for info on (allmost) every effect in the world!

Hailstorm350

Quote from: Mike Burgundy on September 29, 2005, 05:40:04 AM
Did a short in the DC-connector burn out the LED in the pedal? I don't see that happening at all. How did this happen?
I sincerely doubt there is any way to fry the pedal's LED by shorting the DC connector. Is it really dead?

Yes the LED is really dead, I can't get it to work at all. I tried a diode tester on it and there's nothing.

I will try insulating the jack using something like teflon tape or something...

any better suggestions?

This is really annoying, because I'm trying to sell this pedal so that I can use the money on my next project!

It is also really annoying because I am now stuck with trying to find a radio shack that carries a LED of the size that I had. (not a huge prob)

Vanhansen, I understand the dynamics of how the switching works, only I need to know why the shorting was going on between the jack and the box to the grounds of the other metal jacks.

Thanks Guys,
Will update asap.
storm
Now, don't you start that again!

formerMember1

QuoteIt is also really annoying because I am now stuck with trying to find a radio shack that carries a LED of the size that I had. (not a huge prob)

What size LED was it? 
3mm and 5mm seems to be the norm,

QuoteI will try insulating the jack using something like teflon tape or something...
any better suggestions?

black electricial tape seems right, but maybe just get a plastic jack.

QuoteYes the LED is really dead, I can't get it to work at all.
How did you blow it out?  (<<<<<want to know so i don't do that, cuz i never heard of blowing one out the way you did)