REISSUE TYCOBRAHE PARAPEDAL wha

Started by troubledtom, October 14, 2005, 12:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troubledtom

hello all ,
  does anyone have a schemmo of this very cool wha? it's killing me i want to make one bad! i have
a wha shell and i'm wanting to build something different. thanx.
             peace,
                 - tom

Jaicen_solo

Dude, I posted this exact same question last week and nobody replied. It appears there isn't even a schematic for the original. I guess it's one of those holy grail quests again. If you do locate one, I'd swap my grannie for a look at it  :-\

troubledtom

yah i just found your post. i didn't see it. i just woke up and had a wild hair to build one, trippy!
peace,
    - tom

Jaicen_solo

Haha, it seems great minds think alike ;)

Hopefully something will come of this afterall! Bet i'm the first to homebrew a Parapedal ;)  :icon_mrgreen:

alteredsounds

'Bet i'm the first to homebrew a Parapedal' proper homebrew maybe but Chicago Iron have been selling EXACT replicas for years.  Pricey though.  Will send pics of mine later.

Cheers,
Nick,

Jaicen_solo

Yeah, I must say I find their prices a litte extravagant considering they're clones really. I know we have to factor in the economics of the custom chassis etc, but it's still just a lp filter! Behave!

alteredsounds

I'm not an expert but here's a parts list from my original Parapedal and some pics of the board:

2 x mc1458cp ic's
1 x diode (can't tell but looks like a 1N4148?)
3 big red caps marked ECI 683k 100v (?)
2 x polarised caps 33uf
1 x normal little cap (no markings)
Resistors:
3 x 22R,
2 x 10k,
100k,
1R (blue, brown, yellow(!) must be gold lol)
130R,
22k,
1k,

Also, as you might be able to see, its a double pot thingy (sorry for lack of techinical name!) both turned by the wha rocker action.

Here's some pics, sorry for the low res, had to use phone as camera is flat.  Shout if you need more!

http://www.alteredsounds.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=22

Cheers,
Nick,

Jaicen_solo

That looks excellent Nick!

I'm starting work on the layout right now, if you could get me some clearer pictures that'd help, but I think it looks good enough.
Can you trace the wiring colours so I know what goes where?

alteredsounds

lol i'll try!  The wire on the circuit side is a very old track repair from where I think a leaking battery caused a problem.

Are you planning on putting this in a wha case? Please keep me informed.  As I mentioned before, I have around 100 collectable pedals and if anyone wants pics of boards etc do ask and if I have it then I will happily oblige.

Cheers,
Nick,

Jaicen_solo

Yeah, the initial idea is to retrofit it to an old wah shell I have lying around. Once I play with it for a while, i'll try and figure out a mod to replace the dual pot with LDR's, I don't really like pots as they tend to get scratchy after a while.
I could really use a better picture of the board, it's pretty much impossible to sketch the layout without being 100% sure on where each trace is going.
Thanks for the help so far, I think this could be a winner!

mongo

hey!
I'd be interested in  the layout if you figure it out!! (and if you dont mind sharing of course!)

Andy

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I'm interested too, now I've seen this at guitargeek:

"basically has a huge wah sweep followed by a crazy phase/synth-like effect that tracks with your first wah tone. As if that effect could be topped, the heel end of the sweep actually decreased the volume and brightness of your sginal somewhat. The overall effect was a swell plus a sweep that ended up creating some very impressive vowel-like expressions. "

Hope it isn't going to be one of those 'weird' dual pots..

troubledtom

keep up the good work..................
    i can't wate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      -  tt

troubledtom

i'm trading one for an ALPHAWAVE ,one of my dealers carries the bad ass wha, i can't wait! i'll keep you posted!
               peace,
                  - tom

troubledtom

petemoore

Also, as you might be able to see, its a double pot thingy
  [Dual Gang]
  What are the values and tapers of each side of the dual ganged pot?

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Jaicen_solo

EDIT: OH, I just went back to nick's site and it seems he's also been working on this layout. I'll get back to you.  :icon_redface:

Ok guys, i've got some preliminary layout work done. It's all very rough at the minute. I'll tidy it up in photoshop and make up a pdf when it's all done. The layouts are below, the first is the components side of the board, second just the traces.
I'm having a little difficulty with the values of some of the components, the photo's make the colours a little difficult to see but i'm working on it. Nicks really on the ball too, so we should give thanks to him for sharing his precious collection!
I'm going to try for a wiring diagram tonight as well, I haven't had time to study the pics fully yet.
Just updated the layout with the same codes as Nick to help with identifying the last components.

http://storage.msn.com/x1p3q6ujd6xcOpOfW-G0f53Of6axOUXKnK79AStM-yR3ZWNGt5JZZB6tJ759sPHAQ0XVPORsGBwWNPHENzAQM0GY-8FAIhoTGC8dBY8cKfdtcThnqN_w2wHWGQBYQmYKsPJ1NDh4UrTB2lUEwYP8pkJ4g

http://storage.msn.com/x1p3q6ujd6xcOpOfW-G0f53Of6axOUXKnK79AStM-yR3ZVZyD9oYP3iRqSO_4DZ-f64GfcEaOUP_Nwr9gVz0APezpx8jaiP19afV_qj9ouk10ocJl7AD8TinadlxIb6ooi-8LvszKmv5teNUarfJ0F8IQ

bwanasonic

Quote from: Jaicen_solo on October 14, 2005, 02:23:13 PM
Yeah, I must say I find their prices a litte extravagant considering they're clones really. I know we have to factor in the economics of the custom chassis etc, but it's still just a lp filter! Behave!

You have a perfect business opportunity then. Just produce the same pedal and sell it at a lower price…

Good luck

Kerry M

Jaicen_solo

Behave!
I fully understand the economies of scale involved with building something like this.
Almost all the pricing is going to be eaten up by the custom chassis.
My beef is that it's a very expensive one trick pony, but then I'm tight as @#$%. Sue me.
You're not defending their pricing are you??

Jaicen_solo

If anyone is interested I've posted an improved component layout here, following nicks designations for each component:

http://storage.msn.com/x1p3q6ujd6xcOpOfW-G0f53Of6axOUXKnK79AStM-yR3ZXL53Cukj9_bct2-q8QEJ4FLjRbEQO_vUQLamq6ukiGtEURFP8IPVgC4h7rnmkaetJSh7zbc1zKEEax6nvsv5cqOmOmYkMYq2Rg_UkmV5KPbA

And the track side layout is here:

http://storage.msn.com/x1p3q6ujd6xcOpOfW-G0f53Of6axOUXKnK79AStM-yR3ZXKl1JJEP3g7ELpWBGH7tJSuFi2WrAUOXqXO_LPBSa3VSRDLGJNp4BECV8ocxK3BpLD0lswfS1yVSZTInfmPg7sp_YABAnWFJyUyYYcZDV-UA

Maybe somebody should consider merging this with the other parapedal thread, theres and interesting graph of the frequency responses. Looks like I was right about it being a LP filter ;)  :icon_idea: