Saraceno's Germanium Boy

Started by nooneknows, November 26, 2005, 02:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nooneknows

Hi,
I friend of mine bought a Saraceno's Germanium boy and he kindly let me see inside the box.
It's a one germanium transistor boost, with a bunch of caps at the input, like the Afro Tweak fuzz, maybe a bit more.
I couldn't trace the circuit but it seems a sort of Dallas rangemaster type of circuit.
Anyone did the tracing?
thanks,
bye

Bernardduur

I thought it also had a silicium transistor (next to the germanium) and the Tweak Fuzz was a "cheap" version of it (w/ two silicium 3904's)

Check my schem here
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

cd

Quote from: Bernardduur on November 27, 2005, 09:56:08 AM
I thought it also had a silicium transistor (next to the germanium) and the Tweak Fuzz was a "cheap" version of it (w/ two silicium 3904's)

Check my schem here

You're thinking of the Afro Fuzz.

Bernardduur

Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

grolschie

Ok, I know I am replying to a very old topic. Just wondering if people have found out anything more about this pedal?

nooneknows

The only news are my friend sold it, I thik he didn't like it so much at last :)
He bought a Bmf Fat bastard and it seems he's much happier (I think the sound is way darker now to my ears, maybe a bit too much, but it's a matter of taste).

grolschie

ambulancevoice

...silicium transistor...

you mean silicon right???  :P

saying that would probably sound like Sil - Lis - E - Um
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

nooneknows

dunno, maybe, samples are always cheating :)
What I remember is the pedal sounded good, with a slight distorsion on the mid-high frequency in every position of the switch. Maybe it's a bit too expensive for what it is, you could build yourself a simple single germanium tranny or a single FET (for example, a ROG Fetzer valve) boost playing with input and/or output cap value and get something closer.

birt

Quote from: ambulancevoice on December 10, 2007, 04:48:16 PM

in dutch it's silicium.
http://www.last.fm/user/birt/
visit http://www.effectsdatabase.com for info on (allmost) every effect in the world!

ambulancevoice

Quote from: birt on December 10, 2007, 05:50:29 PM
Quote from: ambulancevoice on December 10, 2007, 04:48:16 PM

in dutch it's silicium.

wow sweet
stange i didnt know that, i know shitloads of dutch chellovecks
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

Dragonfly

NPN Rangemaster with variable input capacitor most likely....in fact i'd give it a 99% chance of being correct, having seen internal photos. Input caps are on a (12 way) rotary switch, though I thing the Gagan "blend" control is far more useful and elegant.

nooneknows

+1 Dragonfly. Anyway a rotary switch is cooler  than a simple pot in marketing terms

moro

This pedal is the reason I started this thread:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=63135.0

As Dragonfly points out, Joe Gagan's blendable cap is much more elegant. Mark Hammer describes a cap switch in the thread above which, IMO, is also a better alternative.

culturejam

I've wanted one of these since way before I started building pedals.

So you guys are saying that the Germanium Boy is more-or-less a Rangermaster-style boost with a rotary switch input cap selector?

Damn, I'm going to make one of these.

grolschie

Does a Rangemaster have this kind of tone? The clips description says: "All clips played by Blues Saraceno using a $99 stock Squire Strat and a $150 Sears Silvertone amp w/10" speaker!" Unless that's just valve amp distortion goosed by a clean-ish boost right? I don't know much about Sears Silvertones, but there was a 10" valve combo.

analogmike

Old silvertone amps have massive amounts of distortion and sound great. Check out Jack White (the White Stripes).
DIY has unpleasant realities, such as that an operating soldering iron has two ends differing markedly in the degree of comfort with which they can be grasped. - J. Smith

mike  ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~   vintage guitar effects

http://www.analogman.com

moro

Also, Blues Saraceno is an awesome guitarist. I'm sure I would sound like crap through the same setup :icon_eek:

grolschie

Thanks analogmike and moro. So the pedal in question might just be a clean boost with variable frequency response, and not have it's own dirt? So I could make a germanium npn rangemaster and tweak to get the same effect (minus the tone that's in Blues' fingers)?

drewl

Crap....now I gotta build something else......
Anyway, I used a larger output cap for my Rangemaster build as I wasn't really looking for just a treble boost and it turned out sounding great.
So, I have a mini 6 position switch, I could wire up different cap values to......