Which opamp to use in TS9 pedal?

Started by Burstbucker, December 13, 2005, 05:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burstbucker

Which opamp to use in TS9 pedal?

I've read that some people prefer the Texas Instrument RC4558P opamp over the JRC 4558D opamp, I'm not sure what the difference would be though.  I was also wondering about the Burr-Brown opamps too, how would they be different?  And what part number would I be hunting down for these  Burr-Brown opamps?

brett

NE5532.
All of the 4558s are a little bit noisey and "gritty".  If you play at high volume, you'd probably want something quieter.
The TL072 is good, but overlooked because it is common, and therefore assumed to be mediocre. (Wrong!)
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

petemoore

All fine stuff.
  Any dual really.
  5532 is clean and quiet.
  4558 has been written about.
  TL072 has slightly different voice to it.
  ...The one in the socket you're partial to...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Steben

Texas instruments all the way

RC4558 for the freaks...
TL072 for common sense...
TLC2262 and TLC2252 is worth a try. However slow slew rates and other differences (besides noise) between opamps is more noticeable in diode-to-ground stuff (RAT, dist+, DS-1, mongoose fuzz,...), that's what I feel and hear. That's where the opamp itself adds clipping too. I think diode-feedback stuff (TS, SD-1, bluesbreaker,...) is more sensitive to diode choice.
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

Melanhead

Quote from: Steben on December 14, 2005, 03:06:30 AM
Texas instruments all the way

RC4558 for the freaks...
TL072 for common sense...
TLC2262 and TLC2252 is worth a try. However slow slew rates and other differences (besides noise) between opamps is more noticeable in diode-to-ground stuff (RAT, dist+, DS-1, mongoose fuzz,...), that's what I feel and hear. That's where the opamp itself adds clipping too. I think diode-feedback stuff (TS, SD-1, bluesbreaker,...) is more sensitive to diode choice.

Yahoo! ... I'm a freak  ... I guess that's why I have a pedal called the "Freak Box"  :icon_mrgreen:

Yup TI is what I use in most of mine ...

cbriere

I agree with the Texas Instruments also,
I builted a couple (using TI) of TS for my friends that play blues and
they like it.

The JRC sounds more harsh.

try
cb

RDV

I can't tell any stinking difference between any of them, but then I am quite deaf. :icon_mrgreen:

RDV

Steben

As I said in TS-style circuits the opamp has minimal influence, except noise.
  • SUPPORTER

STOMPmole

I like the Texas Instruments the best but for $0.60 a piece why not socket the board and get them both?

Strat Cat

Give a TLC2272CP chip a try. This is a CMOS type op-amp so be sure to ground yourself when you install it.

Steben

2272? I don't know. Looking at the specs, it looks like an expensive NE5532: low noise, high slew rate, medium power consumption. Rail-to-rail but 5x the price.

The 2262 has low power consumption, almost as good noise figures as 2272(still better than a "low-noise" TL072=>already superb for guitar) and mellow slow rate. Very attractive things for a stompbox and LFO's.

The 2252 has very very low power consumption, low slew rate yet higher noise floor, which makes it good (better than 2262) for LFO's.
  • SUPPORTER

petemoore

The price of a socket and say 5 chips is a small % when compared to everything else for a TS...

Xavier

I socketed my TS9DX and tried the following ones:

JRC4558
TL072
OPA2134
OPA2605
NE5532
LM386

I wasn't able to hear any difference among them, at least with my setup. Changing the clipping diodes had a much more noticeable effect.

Steben

Quote from: Xavier on December 14, 2005, 10:32:20 AM

JRC4558
TL072
OPA2134
OPA2605
NE5532
LM386

I wasn't able to hear any difference among them, at least with my setup. Changing the clipping diodes had a much more noticeable effect.

Quote from: StebenI think diode-feedback stuff (TS, SD-1, bluesbreaker,...) is more sensitive to diode choice.

;D

By the way: LM386??!! You mean LM358?
  • SUPPORTER

petemoore

Changing the clipping diodes...this' is noticable for sure, as is changing a cap value here or 'otherwhere'
  I noticed very slightly, 'a difference' when changing OA's, 4558 or TL072 were chosen.
  For some reason there is alot of 'activity' attributed to the 'active', but my boilings down of the 'makes it or breaks it' type 'chip mojo' types, found 'one odd, three of the other' made only a small % of a hill of beans, especially when compared to other changes, inside and outside the circuit.

BMF Effects

Quote from: Xavier on December 14, 2005, 10:32:20 AM

JRC4558
TL072
OPA2134
OPA2605
NE5532
LM386

AMEN!

I did the same and gave up trying to hear a difference.

TheBigMan

There isn't much difference between them, but the TA75558P which is stock in the TS-9 RI and TS-9DX is pretty awful.  Just about anything will improve on it.  I've tried a JRC4558D, RC4558P, TL072 and LM833 and all of them are pretty good.  I think there was a RC4558 in my TS-9 when I sold it.

aron

Jack once came up with a mod that really seemed like it just about made all the op amps sound similar/alike. It was series resistance with the diodes. I can't remember the values though.

Steben

Quote from: aron on December 14, 2005, 05:38:17 PM
Jack once came up with a mod that really seemed like it just about made all the op amps sound similar/alike. It was series resistance with the diodes. I can't remember the values though.

Aha, even softer clipping.
The harder you hit, the more important the opamp gets. And a TS, well yeah, IS quite soft, isn't it?  ;)
  • SUPPORTER

Xavier

;D

By the way: LM386??!! You mean LM358?

oh well.......whatever the number is.....

:icon_mrgreen: