Vox Clyde McCoy Wah Layout ?

Started by formerMember1, December 14, 2005, 04:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Marossy

OK, here is my layout. I haven't verified the locations of the mounting holes, but it is the same exact PCB that my 70s Fasel inductor Italian made wah has.  :icon_cool:

formerMember1

Paul, as expected that looks great!!  Just like the original pcb,..  :icon_biggrin:

What program do you use again? AUTOCAD or something,...?

I have the expresspcb.  That was only my second layout i ever drew.  It still needs work obviously. :icon_redface:

Paul Marossy

Quote from: formerMember1 on December 16, 2005, 11:44:49 AM
Paul, as expected that looks great!!  Just like the original pcb,..  :icon_biggrin:

What program do you use again? AUTOCAD or something,...?

I have the expresspcb.  That was only my second layout i ever drew.  It still needs work obviously. :icon_redface:

Yep, AutoCAD. I pasted the picture directly into AutoCAD and drew right over the top of it. It can be a real handy program for that sort of thing.  :icon_cool:

moandj

Very nice. :icon_mrgreen:

Anyone know where to get wah enclosures (besides buying another wah just to gut it)?

And does anyone know how different this would be from the Teese wahs?

Paul Marossy

No idea on how it compares to the Teese wahs. Even if I knew, I have taken a vow of silence about his wahs.  :icon_wink:

smashinator

Quote from: moandj on December 16, 2005, 01:13:05 PM
Anyone know where to get wah enclosures (besides buying another wah just to gut it)?

Nope.

Though it's possible that one of us might be working to change that...  :icon_twisted:
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it. - George Bernard Shaw

http://pizzacrusade.blogspot.com/

Paul Marossy

AFAIK, they are not available to anyone but a manufacturer. I buy cheap wahs like the Guitar Research wah and change out the guts. Sometimes you can get a CryBaby on ebay for $20-25. The last one I bought only cost $20. Got lucky, I guess...

formerMember1

w/ a little help from Paul.  :icon_wink:

Paul,

I think i labeled which transistor is Q1 or Q2 correctly, but i am confused on what is collector middle base, i looked at the schematic, but i kept getting confused,..  ***EDIT**i finally figured it out, but i guess Q1 is the only one "mixed" up with the b and c swapped, i guess i'll just bend the leads,..is that what the old wahs did,..bend the leads to accomodate?

The layout on left, has added pads for different cap sizing or inductors etc,..i think i am gonna give the 33k/Q it's own pad hole, instead of soldering to the halo post,...i don't like the idea of soldering to the post that has that thin copper wire attached from the winding, i am afraid it will break the copper wire or something,...or isn't that a problem when soldering to the post?

Hey Paul one other question,  :icon_rolleyes:
Say i use the layout on the left, Should i print as shown or a mirror image of it?

thanks

i still admit yours looks better,..but i couldn't get the picture to paste into the program, so i had to draw it using the program, i couldn't trace it,..i guess it would have came out better if i could trace it,...

Paul Marossy

QuoteI think i labeled which transistor is Q1 or Q2 correctly, but i am confused on what is collector middle base, i looked at the schematic, but i kept getting confused,..  ***EDIT**i finally figured it out, but i guess Q1 is the only one "mixed" up with the b and c swapped, i guess i'll just bend the leads,..is that what the old wahs did,..bend the leads to accomodate?

Yeah, I believe so. On my 70s Italian wah, the leads are all twisted around.

QuoteThe layout on left, has added pads for different cap sizing or inductors etc,..i think i am gonna give the 33k/Q it's own pad hole, instead of soldering to the halo post,...i don't like the idea of soldering to the post that has that thin copper wire attached from the winding, i am afraid it will break the copper wire or something,...or isn't that a problem when soldering to the post?

A seperate pad for that resistor is a good idea.

QuoteSay i use the layout on the left, Should i print as shown or a mirror image of it?

Use it as shown. If you mirror it, you'll end up with a backwards layout. Ask me how I know.  :icon_wink:

formerMember1

QuoteUse it as shown. If you mirror it, you'll end up with a backwards layout. Ask me how I know.

yeah thanks, i was just making sure, cuz sometimes i print it out and when i iron it on board, it is backwards, i didn't want to waste anymore pnp,...

thanks again for the other answers too!!  :D

Paul Marossy