News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

PT-80 built

Started by Marcos - Munky, December 16, 2005, 05:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcos - Munky

I started to built it a long time ago, but finished it only yesterday :P. Built it using GGG's layout. Then it was time to test it. Pluged it between my amp and guitar, pluged the power supply, turn on the amp, play a note and ... just clean signal!!! I was saying "man, it's time to do the boring debug thing", but since it was almost at time to go to the college, I said "tomorrow I do this". Then today, I picked it and went to my PC with the PT-80 in a hand and my DMM in the other hand, ready to check test all the copper traces, then take the voltages. But first I tought "well, I checked the parts side 100 times, why not to check it for the 101st time (saw this in another post :P)?". I checked almost all the parts, then found something "interesting". If you open GGG's layout, you will see that a little above the 2N5088 it's a 100K resistor. Well, I used a 100K part, but it was a 100K cap (0.1uf)!!!  :icon_redface: :icon_redface: :icon_redface:
I just replaced it with the resistor and runned to my amp to test it. Pluged everything again and ... nothing again. Man, I started to get angry. Then I turned a pot and got the delay!!! The speed pot was at max., and it was too fast that you can't hear the delay!!! Then I turned it low and start to play a few things. The sound is very cool, the delay have a good range of speed and it can sound like a reverb if you use the correct setting. I will put it in a box tonight, and play a little more with it tomorrow.

bioroids

Lol I built a distortion box that made absolutly no sound. It took me a while to realize I had wired the Level pot backwards, so it was at minimum...  :icon_mrgreen:

Luck

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!

WildMountain

I did that wiring backwards thing on my Red Llama once. Took me a while to figure out why it did those strange things. Guess we all do stuff like that wrong every once in a while.  ;D

Brian Marshall

i remember tinkering with a box all day once... trying to figure out what was wrong... eventually i realized that i wired the output jack's ground lug instead of the tip lug.... i was really frustrated...

Marcos - Munky

I already did everything. Mis-wired the jacks, wired pots in reverse (almost all of them are tone pots, some gain pots too), and once I did a wrong wiring in the level pot that gave me just crazy noise stuffs. I was going to post a picture of the PT80 in the enclosure I put it in, but I was putting the power jack (a very cheap one I bought) in it's hole and it broke!!! I will buy another one this week and, if I learn how to use the Condor cab sim to record in my PC, I will record a soundclip too.