Boss BD-2 Blues Driver post mod..

Started by uan, December 17, 2005, 06:37:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uan

Hi all.. i'm totaly new here..(i was a silent reader). i just finished doing modification on my BOSS BD-2 Blues Driver based on tips and advices from many members of this forum. The pedal is now sounds better. Now the final thing i want to do is to add extra gain. After convert the diodes pairs to asymetric, the gain has drop.. I've search around this forum but cant find any tips..

I've googled on the net and found http://www.monteallums.com/ offer high gain mod  for BD-2 called H20 Mods. But need to pay $20 to know the secret. Now its time to ask to masters. Can somebody help me?

- UAN -

MartyMart

Do you mean that the amount of "overdrive" is less, or there's less "gain volume" ?
If you used perhaps red 3mm LED's, you'll have less "overdrive/ crunch" but more output ... :D
Same for 1N4001 diodes, but I like using these also, nice tone to them in combination with
2 x 4148's the other direction ...

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

uan

i mean the amount of overdrive.  ;)
i'm not using LED as clipping part.. but 1N400X and 4148 (keeley stlye).. it has dropped the amount of overdrive though. So is there any way to increase it? or at least to add more sustain..

thanks for replying .. :)
- UAN -

MartyMart

Using 1N4001's or LED's in this,  is meant to "clean up" the drive a little and add some volume/clarity.
If you want more "dirt" you'd be better off just using 1N4148's ( reduce the number used ) or
perhaps 1N4148's in combination with some 1N34a germanium diodes.
Less diodes = more "Crunch" and more of a compressed sound

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

wampcat1

Try changing r38 to a 2.2k or 10k and changing r34 to a 1k.
Also, connect a 10uf cap in parallel with r30, and another at r35. This should give you a ton of distortion, possibly too much, so do one change at a time. *edit note* Make sure that the electrolytic caps have their negative side going to ground there (one side of each of those resistors goes to ground).

Take care,
Brian

uan

This is good! thanks a lot for your help guys! Will do it asap.. TQ TQ
- UAN -

uan

got it man! i just changing R38 to 10k and thats enough to me.. it works! Thanks bros!
- UAN -

MartyMart

Quote from: wampcat1 on December 17, 2005, 10:42:25 AM
Also, connect a 10uf cap in parallel with r30, and another at r35. This should give you a ton of distortion, possibly too much, so do one change at a time. *edit note* Make sure that the electrolytic caps have their negative side going to ground there (one side of each of those resistors goes to ground).

Take care,
Brian

Brian, I'm trying to find this on the schem - which is very "un-clear" BTW
Is R38 the 100k after the first transistor ( not fets ) forming part of a little tone stack to
ground before the 4X diodes ?  It looks like R36 on my drawing !!

Thanks,
Marty.

wampcat1

Quote from: MartyMart on December 18, 2005, 08:56:31 AM
Quote from: wampcat1 on December 17, 2005, 10:42:25 AM

Take care,
Brian

Brian, I'm trying to find this on the schem - which is very "un-clear" BTW
Is R38 the 100k after the first transistor ( not fets ) forming part of a little tone stack to
ground before the 4X diodes ?  It looks like R36 on my drawing !!

Thanks,
Marty.

Hi Marty,
I'm having a hard time finding it on the schem I have as well (from repair manual, scanned and uploaded to some website somewhere). I actually was just looking in my notes for the bd-2, so I don't recall exactly where on the schem it is! :(

Brian

MartyMart

No problem, I think that's correct as I've found R36 ... else where.....
I just tried reducing it from 100k to 39k and i do seem to have some more drive there
The control also cleans up the same as before :D
Cheers,

marty.