Some pedals I've made

Started by PB Wilson, December 18, 2005, 12:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PB Wilson

Here's my humble basement work area.

PB Wilson

On the left are a couple Great Cheddars. The four pedals on the right are a Tone Dog (blue one), PT-80 delay (silver one in the back), Neutron (silver D enclosure) and a Scrambler (front right, blue/green one).

PB Wilson

Here's a Great Cheddar in Bronze Hammered finish.

PB Wilson

Here's another with a different font.

The lettering is Chartpac dry rub transfers. Not cheap, but they worked well.

PB Wilson

Here's a Scrambler clone.

The egg-beater is a xerox copy on a sheet of overhead plastic. After spraypainting the color coat, I laid it on the enclosure and put several coats of Future floor finish over it. Yeah, you can see the outline in the pic, but it's much less noticeable on the floor. I made this one a few years ago and didn't have any decal paper. Necessity is a mother, or so they say... :icon_wink:

PB Wilson

Here is the fruit of my labor over the past few months. A large batch of Great Cheddars I licenced from RG. (I'll be in touch soon RG.) It's the first time I built such a large batch and I learned a lot about streamlining the procedure.

PB Wilson

I've got to run, but I'd appreciate any comments and questions.

Marcos - Munky

Very cool pics. How did you done the bronze hammered finish to the enclosure, and what kind of label did you used?

Hal

how do you keep your bench so neat?!? :icon_biggrin: ???

nice builds :-D

Joecool85

What is a great cheddar and whats it taste like?  I mean, sound like?
Life is what you make it.
https://www.ssguitar.com

Sam

Quote from: Joecool85 on December 18, 2005, 02:49:53 PM
What is a great cheddar and whats it taste like?  I mean, sound like?

"The Great Cheddar" is a clone/workalike of the "Lovetone Big Cheese" fuzz. I never built one since I've got a nice original Lovetone unit :) . The Big Cheese is basicly a Silicon Fuzz  Face equipped with a tone control and buffered in/outs. There is also a rotary switch with four modes (off, mid-scoop, mid-hump and "cheese").
"Where's the paper bag that holds the liquor?
Just in case I feel the need to puke." - Silver Jews

CS Jones

Comment #1 - Beautiful.

Comment #2 - 27 pedals. You have my sympathy. That will probably translate into something like 189 people being pissed off at you for one reason or another.

Comment #3 -
Quotehow do you keep your bench so neat?!?

Yes...please tell us that you cleaned your work area before you took the picture.

Question #1 - Did you cut your own boards or did you part that out?

Question #2 - Would you do it again?

Question #3 - How much are they selling for?

Great job... good luck with it. I've never heard one but would like to.

PB Wilson

Thanks for the comments and yes, I did clean up the bench before the pic was taken. I had hundreds of pieces of stripped wire all over the place. It looked like I was decorating cookies with sprinkles.  :icon_wink: Bags of resistors, caps, LEDs, switches, jacks, knobs, pots, etc. were strewn around the place. Before I had the parts cabinets, I put all of the parts in ziplock bags and put them in a big box.

As for the finish, I used bronze Rustoleum Hammered spraypaint. I'm not sure why it looks different from other hammered finishes, but the basement was a little bit on the cold side. It may have had something to do with it.

The labels were done letter-by-letter using Chartpak dry rub letters. It took a huge amount of time, but they turned out pretty well.

I got the ready to solder PCBs from JD Sleep at GeneralGuitarGadgets. I'm not that good at etching so I decided to buy them finished. As it was, it took me a long time to finish them. If I had to do all of my own eching, I'd still be back at square one.

I sold them for $125 plus shipping and cut RG Keen in on the deal. I have another batch all spoken for, but I might make more in the future if there is interest.

Tony Forestiere

"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me

8mileshigh

PB,

Let me think about this for a second.  You bought the etched boards from RG and you're cutting him in in the deal because the layout is his property, right ?   It seems like a hell of a lot of work for the price you're selling them for.   Of course this must have been a great learning experience for you.  Great work, I'm impressed !

Chris
Builts completed: Tweak-O, Fuzz Face Si and Ge, Rangemaster,Fuzzrite Si & Ge, Bazz Fuzz, L'il Devil Fuzz, Bosstone one knober, Bosstone Sustainer, Cream Pie, Kay Fuzztone. http://www.myspace.com/chrisdarlington

PB Wilson

No. I bought the boards from JD Sleep and I'm paying a licencing fee to RG since it's his design. We worked it out a few months ago and it works for both of us. Nobody is getting ripped off. I learned a lot about large-scale productions and it sure made my soldering skills come into their own.

Doug_H

Looks great! I love the copper hammered paint too, which finishes in a similar way:

http://home.cfl.rr.com/dbhammond/ousb_front.JPG
http://home.cfl.rr.com/dbhammond/ousb_leds.JPG

Good luck with your endeavour!

Doug

8mileshigh

PB,

No, I wasn't accusing anybody of getting ripped off, I just wanted to know about the details/legality of using bought boards.

Builts completed: Tweak-O, Fuzz Face Si and Ge, Rangemaster,Fuzzrite Si & Ge, Bazz Fuzz, L'il Devil Fuzz, Bosstone one knober, Bosstone Sustainer, Cream Pie, Kay Fuzztone. http://www.myspace.com/chrisdarlington

Paul Marossy

Quotehow do you keep your bench so neat?!?

If he's like me, it comes naturally.  :icon_wink:

That's an impressive picture with all those PCBs laid out!

Steben

Now, that hammerite is a candidate for my BSIAB !
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them