What's the best replacement switch for my original Guv'nor?

Started by Hardtailed, December 20, 2005, 09:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardtailed

The original switch went dead, I need to know what would be the best replacement part. DPDT will do, I'm not looking to mod this pedal since it's somewhat of a "vintage" item now.

Thank you.

Mike Burgundy

The original uses a Miyama switch which isn't very good. Go to Smallbear and pick one out.
Carling DPDTs and Fulltone 3PDT's (hey, true bypass with LED!) are best.

Hardtailed

Carling 316-PP, I guess that'd be the one
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=80

Damn, why is Mouser so much more expensive than Small Bear?! I guess they don't sell much of those...

Mike Burgundy

I believe the correct question is: Why is Steve so cheap?
Let's hope he'll always keep it that way ;)

no one ever

(chk chk chk)

smallbearelec

I think the Guv'nor pedals used an Apem miniature DPDT switch. The Alpha SF12020-L is an almost exact mechanical replacement...my SKU 0203.

Pricing?
I don't stock 150,000 items like Mouser, but I carry VERY large quantities of the few hundred that I do stock, and the retail pricing is correspondingly reasonable. As I have related in other threads, I did not plan this marketing strategy; it evolved over time as boutique pedal makers--both here and abroad--started using SBE as a one-stop-shop. I buy Carling switches in 1,000 lots in order to accomodate them, and that makes the difference.

Blue 3PDT vs. Fulltone?
They are made by the same factory. MF won't sell his for DIY anymore, but the blue one is a completely acceptable sub. The bakelite body of the Fulltone does tolerate excessive soldering heat a little better, but if you are that ham-handed, you really shouldn't DIY.

Regards
SD

Mike Burgundy

Steve:
I own an original Guv' and know of two more, all  carrying the Miyama, so it looks like they at least made a batch with that switch. The other option would be all three switches failed relatively soon and were replaced. There is some merit in this - before you started the Miyama was the only footswitch available locally (still is). I still have a bag of them somewhere.