replacements for NE5532 and TL072

Started by GonzoFonts, December 23, 2005, 07:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GonzoFonts

I’m looking for higher quality replacements for NE5532 and TL072.

I want the replacements to be drop-in with out having to worry about proper compensation and all that other stuff.

Can anyone recommend something.(?)

Thanks in advance.

GF

nelson

the dual opamp from the OPA series from texas instruments.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Mike Burgundy

The OPA's are good, but keep in mind it's all trade-off vs. trade-off. The 072 series has *excellent* input impedance, the 5532 is *excellently* quiet. Even for very expensive specialty chips this goes as well. The perfect chip, unfortunately, does not exist. You're always trading off specs against each other, and against cost and hassle. The trick is in identifying the parameter(s) of performance in a certain circuit that work for what you want. This is what the original designer did, and there's no way of finding out what his real motivation was for choosing that chip unless you get a chance to ask him. Maybe he chose it for a weird slew-rate that fitted his circuit in a strange way, maybe he chose it because it was on his workbench at the time and fullfilled all demands - always a nice thing to encounter. No way of knowing why he chose..
There is no guarantee of getting "better" results (what's that then?) when swapping one chip for any other, unless you know what you're aiming for, why, and how  And even then it's swap-and-see, sometimes.

GonzoFonts

Nelson,

Quote from: nelson on December 23, 2005, 08:27:48 PM
the dual opamp from the OPA series from texas instruments.

I’m assuming that the OPA’s you are referring to are the OPA2134 and the OPA2604 since these are commonly refered to on this board â€" please correct me if I’m wrong.

I think these would work as a direct replacement for the NE5532 but not the TL072.

I was thinking a better replacement for the NE5532 would be the ADI AD823 (and maybe the OP275).

I think a better replacement for the TL072 is probably the TL051 and an even better would be the TI TLE2072 since these would (should?) be drop in replacements.

Mike,

I agree with most of what you say, but...

For the most part, for the lower and mid-priced audio gear, it always comes down to cost. There are better op-amps out there but it always comes down to cost.

There is, as you mentioned, a hassle factor as well. Most companies would rather not have to stock 100+ different op-amps to meet there manufacturing needs when they can do so with 20 or less. This cuts down on paperwork and, of course, means they get a better price break since they are having to buy larger quantities of the 20 or so op-amps they use.

With that said, the NE5532 and the TL072 are widely used in the audio industry (just open up a few of your rack devices) because they deliver exceptional performance for the cost but that does not mean that they were necessarily chosen for their performance and/or specs - they were mainly chosen because of their cost.

GF

lovric

maybe, if someone wishes to dig:
intersil:  HA7-5101/883 CerDIP  $18.06
dual HA7-5102-2 CerDIP  $11.49
quad HA1-5104-2 CerDIP  $15.49
expensive, but ultra low noise.

redeffect

I would try to get as many different models as i could afford(within reason...); and swap them in and out of a prototype circuit until i get the sound i'm looking for. trust your ears. let them be the final judge. you may find some surprises along the way...
best wishes to all this holiday season, and hoping we all find the sound we're looking for...
red

Paul Marossy

IMO, it's hard to beat the NE5532/34 opamps for performance in a typical stompbox circuit. I don't think it's worth it to pay $10 for one opamp that you probably can't hear any difference once it iss present in the circuit. Now, if we were talking about CD quality sound, that's a different story.  :icon_cool:

The Tone God

Quote from: GonzoFonts on December 25, 2005, 02:56:19 PM
With that said, the NE5532 and the TL072 are widely used in the audio industry (just open up a few of your rack devices) because they deliver exceptional performance for the cost but that does not mean that they were necessarily chosen for their performance and/or specs - they were mainly chosen because of their cost.

Thats not totally correct. They were probably the cheapest and most easily available that met the required minimum specifications. There are a zillion parts that could be sub'd in but you have not identified either the particular specification(s) that you want improve, as was point the I believe Mike was making, nor have you specified what minimum specification are required for the circuit to even function properly.

The problem with your question is that it is another variation of the poorly formed "Whats the best..." type question and as is with such question the answer is always "Depends on what you want." You have not given enough information to make any good suggestions. Anything anyone suggests is just a guess on their part.

Andrew

Peter Snowberg

I would say that the TL082/4 is the one specified for the cost in lots of places I've seen.

TL072 is usually specified for the input impedance.

The NE5532 is specified for either low noise, or for high current drive, or for short circuit protection, or a combination of the above. This chip was designed specifically for audio and it's still my favorite opamp.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation