phase Swooshing effect

Started by markphaser, December 23, 2005, 09:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markphaser

How do i get more phase Swooshing effect/sound out of my MXR phase 90 or univibe?
would like it to swooshing alot and be swooshing loud

If a Bandpass filter(just like a phase shift filter in a phase pedal) how would i get the Bandpass filter to Swoosh alot?

What causes the Swooshing effect or sound?

Does the Notch Depth create the swooshing effect?

Transmogrifox

Yes.  More swooshing requires more more notches=more stages, which a Phase 90 does not have.  Put two phase 90's in series and synchronize the LFO's with a bit of offset on the second Phase90.    Deeper notches help, but the notch depth can be controlled by the wet/dry mix.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

markphaser

Thanks alot Transmogrifox

When i add more phase stages the resonance (not the feedback path resonance) the phase shift filter resonance or Q gets more
i don't like the Q and resonance sound it changes the phase Swooshing sound to me. I was wondering how i can add more stages like a 12 stage phase without making the Q get larger?

12 stage phaser shift filter has a Higher Q and resonance

I have notice if i chain 3 or more MXR phase 90 in series it addes more swooshing sound but the Q stays the same it doesn't get higher
why is that?

He is the difference between a 12 stage phase internal VS 12 stage phase chaining Six MXR phase 90 in series
When chaining in series there is 2 stages of phase filters plus the MIXING of the dry and wet. So chaining in series six MXR phase 90
have more of swooshing sound is because there is six more mixing/summing dry/wet signals pure each 2 stages of phase shift. This summing/mixing stage blends the dry/wet which creates the notches/phases. A phaser with 12 stages phase shift filters internal
has only 1 one mixing/summing stage of the dry/wet so the "Q" gets higher not the swooshing sound.

Q(resonance) VS Swooshing formula:
more notches=more stages=more Swooshing VS more notches=more stages=high Q

Processaurus

Have you seen RG Keens Phase 180 Plus in the schematics section at Geofex?  Its two cascaded phase 90s sharing a single LFO.  Seems exactly like what you are asking for.  Its open ended, so you can add phase shift stages to your heart's content.

varialbender

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but, I think you can change the cap values or non-varying resistor values that set the notch frequency so that the notches are spread apart, which is somewhat like lowering the q that you're talking about.

markphaser

Its two cascaded phase 90s sharing a single LFO. 

Yes cascadeding phase shift filters like a 12 stage using one LFO is different than using 6 six LFO's for 12 stages phase shift filters

12 phase shift filter stages using one LFO VS 12 phase shift filter stages using 6 six LFO's. What would be the advangtage of using 6 LFO's instead of using 1 LFO?

Does using more LFO's pure stage add more (?)

Transmogrifox

Quote from: Transmogrifox on December 23, 2005, 10:27:59 PM
...  Put two phase 90's in series and synchronize the LFO's with a bit of offset on the second Phase90.   

Let me put a little more emphasis on the "bit of offset on the second Phase90" part.    As mentioned earlier, you can do this by changing cap values, or you can just apply a DC offset, or even a phase delay to the LFO itself between stages.  When you're modulating the 2 phase90's perfectly in sinc, the notches in the filter are located at the same place, thus, you are notching the notches, so they get steeper and give the perceive effect of increased Q.  It does not actually increase Q, it just makes the transition from stop band to pass band steeper.  It actually makes the bandwidth a little more wide.

If you put an offset to the LFO, then the notches are all pushed up (or down) in frequency so you can get more notches at the same depth and width as a single phase90's depth and width.  It would be a little more mellow phaser sound.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

markphaser

Thanks Transmogrifox for the help and information

changing cap values inf the LFO? which caps in the LFO circuit

"you can just apply a DC offset"

So raising the Positive DC offset raises the notches up and down or can lower the DC offet for negative DC offset to move the notches up and down

even a phase delay to the LFO itself between stages?  do u mean put a phase shift filter after the LFO output?

What is the "Q" mean?
How do i increase the "Q"? how do i decrease the "Q"

What does Notch Depth mean?
How do i increase the Notch Depth? How do i decrease the Notch depth?

How do i increase the Notch Width? How do i decrease the Notch Width?
What sets the Notch Width Range?

markphaser

Is there a way to change how the  notches are "spaced"?

markphaser

Notch Depth mean- cancel a range of frequencies

To increase the Notch depth have to change the ratio's of the summing/mixing stage
Changing the mixing/summing stage get "deeper" notches how do i do this?

Notch Width means-the bandwidth it cancels

How do i increase the bandwidth of cancellations? more phase shift filters?