Multi "channel" amp sim box-how to wire switches?

Started by ildar, December 23, 2005, 10:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ildar

How would I wire the switches and one each input and output jack so that I could put 3-4 amp sims in one box?
My goal is to be able to switch between them-that is, hitting the switch for one "channel"  immediately turns the prevous one off, like the sansamp Tri-Ac. Each sim would have its own switch, of course, and preferably a single power supply. Is this do-able?

ildar

I'll try to answer part of my own question-for the power supply, I'll need a wall wart of course. Would I daisy chain the + supply from one board to the next using wires to jumper, or is there a particular way to wire in parallel, or something else?

petemoore

say NPN neg gnd. for all circuits.
  all points that need power supply will get ground and V+ where necessary.
  The switching you describe can almost certainly be done, I'd take, again, I'd take a look at GEO, there are some articles there you may find of use, something for relays or CmOS switching IIRC.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

gtrmac

You need to look into logic circuits and relays might also be a good idea. R.G. Keen's Geofex site has some articles and The Tone God has an article online called "Wicked Switches".

ildar

I read some of the switching information on RG Keen's site, and it seems a little more advanced than what I need, but I say that with reservation, because I'm not really sure what I need.  :-\ I just envisioned something simpler, I guess.
I'm not familiar with The Tone God's site.

gtrmac

Switching between 2 circuits would be simple with a mechanical DPDT swithch but selecting between 3 or 4 circuits would be a little more complicated. With 3 or 4 circuits you need to bypass the ones not used while selecting one. this is a typical logic application.

Dragonfly

If you want to use multpile mechanical switches, you can wire it like this....
each switch turns on/off a different effect...this also allows you to use the effects in series (such as putting a ts808 and a fender amp sim in the same box, so you can use the 808, the sim, or overdrive the amp sim WITH the 808)

ildar

Quote from: Dragonfly on December 26, 2005, 02:36:47 AM
If you want to use multpile mechanical switches, you can wire it like this....
each switch turns on/off a different effect...this also allows you to use the effects in series
That's more what I had thought of, except I didn't want the sims to be in series, but rather set up as a channel-switching configuration-i.e. Professor Tweed, English Channel, Umble-so as to activate one circuit and turn off the previous one at the same time. I'd need to be able to choose any circuit at any time.

petemoore

EZ/sure fire defined as 'foot accuracy' way...
  Space the switch mounting on the box so two switches can be hit at the same time, one turns "A" effect off and the other bypasses "B" effect. You might want to use 3PDT's and LED's so you can see 'who'se on'.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

ildar

Quote from: petemoore on December 26, 2005, 12:48:57 PM
  EZ/sure fire defined as 'foot accuracy' way...
  Space the switch mounting on the box so two switches can be hit at the same time, one turns "A" effect off and the other bypasses "B" effect.
That would work unless I wanted to go from A to C-unless I use both feet.  ;)