News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Perf Layouts

Started by vanhansen, December 28, 2005, 05:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vanhansen

Man, making a perf layout can be a PITA!!!  ;)  I've done a few small ones but have never done one for an IC based circuit.  I'm trying to put one together for my Slapshot Booster/Overdrive but having problems.  Either I can't get the Vref and +9V and Ground isolated from one another good enough or I end up running leads around the board like a horse track to connect things up.  The circuit uses both sides of the IC.

Can anybody give me some tips and possibly some examples for doing IC based perf layouts? 
Erik

jeroen_verbeeck

I know your problem, I have the same to.
Only my scheme has 2 IC's  :-\

I made a threat about it a few days ago
-> http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=40347.0
Maybe it can be of any help.

vanhansen

Thanks.  I saw your thread.  It's not so bad when you have a PCB layout.  Just lay the PCB layout over the perf and put the components the same way and make your own traces.  Doing perf from the schematic is a different story.  Not so bad with transistors and such but with IC, I'm finding it to be a bit challenging.
Erik

Connoisseur of Distortion

i got in the habit of using cut leads as jumpers... i can usually make good a 4-hole or so jump with a resistor lead, and still have space to move around a corner on the actual pads.

i usually group things according to section (voltage + ground + VBias) with longer leads attaching the sections (coupling caps do this nicely).

also, pots will make jumpers in certain times... be lazy! tone controls make it all easier!

vanhansen

Quote from: Connoisseur of Distortion on December 29, 2005, 05:43:32 AM
i got in the habit of using cut leads as jumpers... i can usually make good a 4-hole or so jump with a resistor lead, and still have space to move around a corner on the actual pads.

i usually group things according to section (voltage + ground + VBias) with longer leads attaching the sections (coupling caps do this nicely).

also, pots will make jumpers in certain times... be lazy! tone controls make it all easier!

Thanks, man.  Would it be better to put the IC in the middle and then work my way out from there?  I may have to spread it out a little more but I also want it to fit in a 1590B box.  After all, it is a 1 knob overdrive and could be 2 so there's no real need for a large enclosure than that.
Erik

spudulike

You could use this quick/poor layout as a starting point maybe ?

vanhansen

Hey, that's good.  I'll run through it and check for any boo boo's.  Looks good at first glance though.  Thank you.
Erik

vanhansen

I just went through that perf layout with the schematic and it looks like it will work.  Everything looks good.  Of course the final verification is to actually build it and fire it up.  I'll do that in a week or so.  If all checks out, I'd like to host this, giving you credit of course.  Thanks again.
Erik

spudulike

Feel free, glad to help.

One tip I can give, In a circuit like that (with an opamp/ dual opamp) I put the chip in the centre. Then put the +/Gnd/Vref rails close-ish to it (that way the filter caps are right next to the chip power pins). Everything runs out from there.

Hope it works ok, I think you might be able to make it a bit smaller.

jmusser

Everyone has their gifts, and although I build everything on perf, I'm still not good a laying it out. Most things I try to lay out like the schematic as close as possible, since it makes it a whole lot easier to troubleshoot. The IC circuits are a bitch though for the most part. I have been using wire wrap sockets with the long legs, and then I flatten them out on the underside of the board where I can do gang connections to a single pin. It's not pretty, but it gets the job done. So far,Tim's CMOS Drive with the 74HCU04 chip has been the absolute worst for layout. The whole circuit is basically condensed around 4 pins, and is a nightmare, so if anyone wants a layout challenge, that would be a good start!
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

spudulike

You rang ....

Check it over, looks right ... :icon_confused: