What's a good 80's sounding distortion???

Started by vortex, December 30, 2005, 04:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vortex

No, not a trick question! :P

I would like to build a distortion box for a friend that plays in a toungue in cheek 80's cover band. They do stuff like Loverboy, Bon Jovi, Pet Shop Boys etc. He just doesn't have a good 80's rock pedal.

Suggestions? Thanks!

stm

Boss DS-1... a classic!  Project available at TONEPAD.

birt

the sound samples of the double d at runoffgroove.com sound very eighties to me
http://www.last.fm/user/birt/
visit http://www.effectsdatabase.com for info on (allmost) every effect in the world!

MartyMart

"Mockman" at www.runoffgroove.com
Use the LED's and extra pot ..... instant 80's rock !!

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

littlegreiger

I second the BSIAB 2. I haven't built it yet because I don't need another distortion but from the sound samples posted from people it sounds like it would do what you want.

sodapop

DS-1 or Rat into marhsall.  You say 80's tone like its a bad thing.  There were a lot of KILLER tones in the 80's. IMHO

Xlrator

ProCo Rat screams 80's metal to me!

I thought that's what Metallica used on their early albums.  :icon_biggrin:
Listen to cKy!

sodapop

I personally think the *rat* is very versatile.  The Rat I have is a "white-faced rat" made in 85.  I've used it in many projects,  but it definitely screams in a rock/metal scenario.

*rat* - there are an A$% LOAD of different rat circuits,  be careful what you get.  Some sound very different than the older ones.  Not that thats a bad thing :)

RDV

Any of the above with a graphic EQ pedal after it. My RDV or HMP with a graphic afterwards is awesome.

Clipping is clipping, it's all about the EQ.

Tone Shaping.

WORD.

RDV

Peter Snowberg

Quote from: RDV on January 01, 2006, 03:34:34 AM
Any of the above with a graphic EQ pedal after it. My RDV or HMP with a graphic afterwards is awesome.

Tone Shaping.

WORD.

RDV

!  :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool:

(Try a 10 band graphic EQ both in front and behind the distortion for major flexability ;))
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Brian Marshall

Quote from: RDV on January 01, 2006, 03:34:34 AM

Tone Shaping.

WORD.

RDV

perhaps from a math point of view clipping is clipping, but even from a strictly theroetical point, what happens in the clipping stage can affect what happens directly after it.  Take an opamp/diode clipper for example.  for the most part it is safe to assume in most circuits that the output impedance is the same no matter what voltage the output is at.... (its actually lowest near the rails, but we are talking low impedance)  its a class ab amp so any filtering done directly after the clipping stage will be symetrical. 

If you look at a transistor inverting circuit whether its mosfet bipolar jfet or whatever... the impedance changes and typically is not symetrical anyways... filtering a fluxuating voltage from this type of circuit loads down the gain stage more as it gets closer to its off possition.

Anyways, my point isnt that im trying to say that you are wrong... perception of frequency response has a lot to do with the way our ears perceive things.  But you cant EQ a trumpet in to a kazoo... some types of clipping stages "feel" different.  I find that some of the easiest ways to get really good distortion tones are through multiple gain stages, propper attention to frequency response in those stages, and (my favorite) loading down one or more stages in a creative way....   unfortunately the latter is not too friendly with opamps.

negative feedback in multiple stages can yeild some interesting stuff too. it can help you get mushy compressed sounds, and still have dynamics when you lay off the strings a bit.

that said... 80's sound.... just add chorus.

RDV

That's the problem. I make em' all sound like kazoos!

To be honest for most of the eighties I was crawled up inside a bottle most of the time. Out in the woods.

:icon_wink: :icon_wink:

RDV