muff fuzz question

Started by fuzz-fanatic, January 08, 2006, 01:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzz-fanatic

i just finished building the muff fuzz using the schamtic from GGG. it sound nice actually, the thing is when the potentiometer is on minimum it also turns of the guitar sound all together. should it do that?

dadude

fuzz-fanatic

the only one on there :) 100K pot

fuzz-fanatic

oh there is one more thing... i did not have a 47uF cap but i fgured it's a filter so i used a 100uF one i had around. shouldn't make a difference though, right?

dadude

Duh, My bad. I thought you were talking Big Muff speak.

Could you explain, "all together".

fuzz-fanatic

when i turn the potentiometer down there is no sound coming through at all.

dadude

That sounds spot on man. What did you want it to do?

d95err

Quote from: fuzz-fanatic on January 08, 2006, 02:37:04 PM
when i turn the potentiometer down there is no sound coming through at all.

It is a volume pot. What result were you expecting?

fuzz-fanatic

it's a volume and fuzz knob.... i don't know it seems weird that someone would mark an effect like that since you can only have one setting really.

d95err

It's a voltage divider on the output, i.e. a perfectly normal volume pot just like most effects have. The amount of fuzz will be the same, regardless of the position of the volume pot. I.e. it's not like an old tube amp where the volume knob also controls the amount of distortion.

As for single knob effects, IMHO the less controls the better. Either you like it or you don't. If you don't, you can replace it with another single-knob fuzz.

dadude

Also I might add that these types of fuzz pedals have the volume for use more as a boost or unity if you want it. The fuzz is dialed in via your guitars volume control. So really in a way it does have two knobs.

fuzz-fanatic

to tell the truth i also like effects with 2 or 3 knobs if possible but i guess i would like something with fuzz gain controll. but all in all i like the way it sounds "all" maxed out :)

A.S.P.

Analogue Signal Processing

gez

Whatever happened to smutty innuendo?

Frankie Howerd must be turning in his grave!  :icon_razz:
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

d95err

Quote from: fuzz-fanatic on January 08, 2006, 06:01:22 PM
to tell the truth i also like effects with 2 or 3 knobs if possible but i guess i would like something with fuzz gain controll. but all in all i like the way it sounds "all" maxed out :)

Yeah, most of my builds are 2 or 3 knobs, but there is something really estetic about a one knob box.