3 input line selector?

Started by theundeadelvis, January 08, 2006, 11:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theundeadelvis

I know there  are various topics on A/B/Y boxes and TB loopers, but can anyone suggest resources or thoughts on making a 3 input line selector? I will have 3 instruments coming in 1 or 2 outputs bypass switches for each input and possibly a level or pot for each input also. Is this even possible or just a pipe dream? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
If it ain't broke...   ...it will be soon.

R.G.

A lot depends on how you want to do the switching. Is it acceptable to simply switch input and outputs on and off one at a time, one switch per input or output? Or do you want a switch-on-the-fly deal where one footswitch selects one of three inputs and one footswitch selects one of two outputs complete with indicator LEDs? The answers are quite different.

The simplest thing for a one-of-three is a rotary switch. There are single footswitch versions of one-of-two.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

theundeadelvis

Thanks R.G. What I think I need are individual footswitches for each input with led indicators, and the same for the outputs.

theundeadelvis

The second output isn't necessary but would be nice. So if this would simplify things thats ok too.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

This is a bit of a bodge, but....... imagine you have a standard two way selector between A and B.
Now imagine that there is a SECOND standard two way selector, the inputs to which are 1. the output of the A/B selector, and 2. the third input C.
For all I know, this may actually give a convenient result, eg if you used the 1st to select between 2 guitars, and the second to select between eitehr guitars or vocal, dependign what the situation is.
In any case, even if it is 3 guitars, teh most switches you have to stomp for any result is two.

theundeadelvis

Thanks Paul! That makes sense. Can I put in one enclosure?

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: theundeadelvis on January 09, 2006, 10:55:57 PM
Thanks Paul! That makes sense. Can I put in one enclosure?
Yes, if it is big enough. And if you wear winkle pickers, so you can stomp one switch at a time.
http://www.beatwear.co.uk/acatalog/Winkle_Picker.html

theundeadelvis

I'm thinking of building 2 fulltone a/b boxes in one enclosure. Can I insert pots at the jacks for level control? Any other problems I might encounter? Also, Thanks for the shoe link Paul, I may have to offer those at my site!!

theundeadelvis

Also, what are ways to prevent popping while switching a passive a/b?

theundeadelvis