News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

RoHS Specs..?

Started by dpresley58, January 13, 2006, 09:59:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpresley58

Excuse my ignorance, but the catalogs seem to be adding the caveat that such-and-such components comply with new RoHS requirements. What are these, and how do they affect the components we normally use?
Little time to do it right. Always time to do it over.

gez

Don't have the link, but I once googled it and somewhere in the results is a large PDF chock full of sleep-inducing bumpf on the subject.

Thankfully, most of the chips I use seem to have been replaced with compliant devices.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

puretube

RoHS will probably reduce the exportability of currently produced "boutique-gear" into the EU by 90%, come summer...

1wahfreak

RoHs is a new law which restricts certain heavy metals to be imported into other countries such as Europe, SE Asia, China (of all places). Items on the list are: lead, cadmium, mercury, hexavalent chromium, polybrominated biphenyl (PBB) and polybrominated diphenyl ether (PBDE) flame retardants. All item being exported to these countires need to have proof that they are RoHs compliant. I don't have any idea how this will affct certain devices.

gez

"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Joecool85

Funny, I kinda wondered what the heck this whole RoHS deally was about too.
Life is what you make it.
https://www.ssguitar.com

nelson

Does that also mean you will not be allowed to sell items within the EU with NOS lead based components?
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

A.S.P.

yes - only for "replacement";

but of course you can build NOS leaded stuff for yourself... just not sell it.
Analogue Signal Processing

gez

Quote from: nelson on January 21, 2006, 08:10:05 PM
Does that also mean you will not be allowed to sell items within the EU with NOS lead based components?

Difficult to enforce with people selling stuff on Ebay etc, but for the big boys things have been turbulent.  I heard on Working Lunch the other day that Pace (they make set-top boxes) have suffered large losses this year despite making a healthy profit last year.  The reason?  Can't get hold of the components!  Problem isn't unique to them either, it's across the industry (in the EU).

You'll have no choice to comply (unless you buy up the huge quantity of surplus going around at present) as that's all suppliers will stock.  Note that some chips etc are 'disappearing'.

Wonder if Ge trannies will be effected?  FuzzFace landfill...my dream come true! :icon_razz:

nelson

I do agree with the law, but the rest of the world should follow. Then nothing would "disapear". I wonder if you can still export lead based components out of the EU.

ie build and sell to americans.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

The Tone God

I know of several semi-con companies that are having large wait delays in delivery/manufactuing of both their standard and newly designed ICs as they are waiting for the retooling of the factories. There is also no point of now making non-RoHS parts now as you will end up with unsaleble stock.

I wouldn't be surprised if some companies are using this as a way to kill off old designs and promote new ones.

Andrew

Johnny Guitar

I've heard that the compounds used to replace the heavy metals will oxidize (or something similar) such that we will not be able to leave these in our parts bins for years (as I and probably many others here do). I've heard that we will have to solder them within about six months. Is that true? (if so, I will have to change my "work" ethic  ::) :icon_redface:)

A.S.P.

Quote from: nelson on January 22, 2006, 02:37:27 PM
I do agree with the law, but the rest of the world should follow. Then nothing would "disapear". I wonder if you can still export lead based components out of the EU.

ie build and sell to americans.

that`s one of the few ways around RoHS: "for Export purposes only"  :icon_wink: :icon_razz:

Xlrator

Quote from: Johnny Guitar on January 22, 2006, 03:02:13 PM
I've heard that the compounds used to replace the heavy metals will oxidize (or something similar) such that we will not be able to leave these in our parts bins for years (as I and probably many others here do). I've heard that we will have to solder them within about six months. Is that true? (if so, I will have to change my "work" ethic  ::) :icon_redface:)

Some of the new components I have ordered recently are RoHs Comp. and I do notice a strange coating on the leads. Looks like oxidizing aluminum sometimes. I never knew what that meant, thought it had to do with a special metal coating or something.
Listen to cKy!

phostenix

Quote from: Johnny Guitar on January 22, 2006, 03:02:13 PM

The issue is called "tin wiskers". Seems that the addition of lead to tin stops the growth/formation of tin wiskers. Remove the lead, the wiskers are back.

I found these links:

http://nepp.nasa.gov/whisker/background/

http://nepp.nasa.gov/whisker/anecdote/20year/

http://www.calce.umd.edu/lead-free/tin-whiskers/

Grace and peace,

Steve
There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

King Solomon

Peter Snowberg

Be sure to look at the photo gallery!

http://nepp.nasa.gov/whisker/photos/index.html

Fascinating and VERY frightening.  :icon_frown: :icon_eek:

Thank you very much for posting that Phostenix ! 8)
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

phostenix

It is my prediction that once this info is circulated widely enough, this this will drive vintage gear pricing into the next level of the stratosphere.

And, as a sidenote related to the Funny MOJO Stuff thread, I also FULLY expect to start hearing and seeing things like, "We use lead solder. We can hear the difference, can't you? Lead-Free solder sounds too sterile and harsh to me."

Ugh.  ::)

Grace and peace,

Steve
There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

King Solomon

Ge_Whiz

For DIY stompboxers, the main issues will be that solder will cost three times as much and not work as well, and light-dependent resistors (LDRs) will disappear (they contain cadmium). Stockpile now!

A.S.P.

A.S.P.

Quote from: Ge_Whiz on January 27, 2006, 07:54:43 PM
For DIY stompboxers, the main issues will be that solder will cost three times as much and not work as well, and light-dependent resistors (LDRs) will disappear (they contain cadmium). Stockpile now!

a lot more has disappeared, already...