Epoxy goop: Hide or Protect?

Started by dano12, February 16, 2006, 09:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dano12

I've seen black epoxy used to goop the circuitry of lots of pedals and some amps.

Is the point of this to hide the fact that the circuit is based on/or a clone of something already published? Or is it used to protect innovation? I've seen the same things on IC's where the numbers are scratched off or painted over.

Don't want to start a controversial thread here, but I think the whole concept of using 5 cents worth of black epoxy to protect intellectual property is fascinating. I come from the software world where we employ far more effort and time, and are generally less protected.

R.G.

This is an old, old discussion.

The point of the epoxy is to hide what's inside. The discussion of whether it hides innovation or copying is an ongoing one, and likely it may fall on either side.

Worse yet, it's ineffective, as epoxy gooping presents no real barrier to someone who's determined and patient.

See "Dirty Tricks 101" at GEO for some far more effective ways to hide what a circuit does. Most of these I've never seen used.

http://www.geofex.com
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.