Dragonfly Fuzz '1969' Fuzz Face

Started by alteredsounds, February 23, 2006, 08:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alteredsounds

Quite interested in giving this a go but noticed there was a couple of questions about the jumper across the trimpot and as far as I can see it was waiting verification.  Has anyone done this build?

Cheers,
Nick,

MartyMart

I have not built it, but looking at the GGG schem, the jumper on the trim pot is
wrong and not needed.
Top pin has power, pin 2 goes to Q2 and bottom pin is unconnected.

Check for yourself, remember that one is positive ground and one is negative
ground !

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

barret77

It works, but I didn't like the negative ground version; there was some "motorboating" at some pot combinations. So I changed it to positive ground (very little modification is needed) - if you want, I can send the positive ground mod to dragonfly layout (or post it here somewhere)

alteredsounds

Thanks for the replies, appreciated.  If you wouldnt mind mailing the positive ground version over to me that would be great thanks. :)

Floyd Pepper

I was looking at the 1969 Fuzz too.  If you're mailing out the positive version can you copy me or even better upload it somewhere?

Thanks.

Stompin Tom

This is going to be my next build... and I'd rather put together the positive ground version (I may box it with a rangemaster). Barrett77, I'd really appreciate a copy of the postive ground vero layout... I don't have much time these days for builds, so if i can save a few minutes, that'd be great! Thanks.

barret77

Stompin Tom

Floyd Pepper

petemoore

Seems like the 50k 'bias' pot could be put 50k to between the switch and the board?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Floyd Pepper

I built the above layout today and it doesn't work.  I checked my wiring and it's as per diagram.  I think the issues with the switch/jack wiring.  Looking at the diagram again it doesn't look right to me.  The actual "effect" layout appears to match the schema at GGG.

I'll report back when I get it debugged.

barret77

hmm.... strange, mine worked... anyway, I've wired a DPDT switch, no led, that's the only difference...

Floyd Pepper

I've just read by last post again and it doesn't too much sence.  Guess I was tired at the time.  What I ment to say was...

The effect layout matches GGG http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/fuzzface_b_sc_pp.gif but the wiring of the jacks and switch don't seem to match GGG to  http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/fuzzface_b_lo_pp3.gif

I had another poke about at the circuit again this morning but still haven't got it working.  I'm now wondering if I read the jack wiring wrong.  Is green the tip, red the middle and brown the ring?  Wiring the tips together doesn't look right to be but Dragonfly's other layouts all have the green (tip?) wired together.

How does the jack wiring relate to the colours?

Thanks

Crawf

Hi,I was in process of building this fuzz also when i read about the positive ground version,i could not get the neg version to work properly so i changed it thanks to the drawing posted and i got it working tonight,so it does work, hope this helps,Crawf.

Floyd Pepper

Crawf, Are your jacks wired like the diagram above or just the main circuit?

Thanks

Crawf

Hi there,I wired the jacks just as the layout above shows but i gave the LED a miss and used a DPDT switch and it sounds fine,not a great deal of gain but i think at gigging volume with an amp thats driving slightly it will sound really good,hope this helps,Crawf.

Floyd Pepper

Crawf, Can I check I'm reading the jack wiring right:
Green = tip
Red = sleeve
Brown = Ring

Thanks

barret77

nope...

green = positive ground, sleeve
pink/brown = signal, tip
red = ring

Floyd Pepper

barret77, Thanks!

That explain why I couldn't get it to work.