News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

ears hurting?

Started by tennisdude, February 23, 2006, 09:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Marossy

Every once in a while, one of my ears will suddenly get a loud ringing in it that drowns everything else out and then it goes away as suddenly as it came. Kind of weird. I tried building this ultrasonic dog whistle once, but I could never get it loud enough when adjusted to the upper limits of human hearing. Anyhow, my wife was a dental assistant for 18 years and she couldn't hear this 20kHz signal coming from this circuit, but I could hear it just fine. I guess those dental drills can mess up your hearing, too. I am surprised that at 39 years old my hearing is as good as it is with all the loud drummers I have played with and listening to/recording/practicing with headphones on all the time. I make it kind of loud, but within reason. I don't like having my ears ringing after listening to something anymore (and I'm wiser about what damages your hearing these days). I don't do concerts anymore because I think most of them are way, way too loud and I don't like having my ears ringing for two days afterwards...  :icon_confused:

runmikeyrun

yeah drums are the worst.  Cymbals always blow your ears out and a tightly tuned snare hit hard is like getting shot in the head.  Trust me, when our drummer does sound checks at shows it is seriously painful.  Our guitarist lost some hearing in his right ear from ONE SHOW on a small stage standing too close to the drummer and his loud ass snare.  It's been over 6 months and it still hasn't come back.  He wears his earplugs now at every practice.

I also wear earplugs when recording.  Out in the room it is very loud, and while playing in a studio sounds awesome, you blow your ears out after a short time and it's hard to mix and get good sounds because your ears are taking a beating.  If you wear headphones while recording keep the volume to just enough.  A good trick our engineer does is set all the amps up in the room and then have the guitarist bring his pedal board and guitar into where he's recording.  He plays everything over the studio monitors and the guitarist just plays along.  It sounds awesome, like listening to a cd, and the volume level is way more manageable than headphones.  I did my bass overdubs the same way.
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

RDV

...no, but my feet are bothering me a bit.

RDV

Nasse

I believe some musicians use special in-ear monitoring for two purposes, to hear better what they play, and control the stage volume. That band above did it because of that people can better see their shoes (no ugly monitors on stage hiding your legs you see). I think such in-ear monitoring stuff can be plugged in noiseprotecting earplugs.

Dunno if electronic drums is some kind of solution for the small rehearsal room problem, of course it is not like real thing
  • SUPPORTER

phaeton

Quote from: Nasse on February 26, 2006, 02:39:05 AM

I believe some musicians use special in-ear monitoring for two purposes, to hear better what they play, and control the stage volume. That band above did it because of that people can better see their shoes

There's a band on that stage?

:icon_biggrin:
Stark Raving Mad Scientist