Wah-Wah "woodpecker" physical modification

Started by gulliver, February 25, 2006, 08:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gulliver

This is a Dunlop Jimi Hendrix pedal. A spring was put over the switch so that the pedal bounces back. The knobby in the frame was tapped so that a screw can adjust it to it's default position. Right before the sweet spot is best. I rolled the gears on the pot back two notches so it keeps the movement away from the on/off switch, as it was being hit during use.

Pictures not working her, see them in this forum...

http://thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?p=1237571#post1237571

Ben N

Nice!  That looks like an idea that may have some use for volume pedals as well, if you use them for swells.

Ben
  • SUPPORTER

John Lyons

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

343 Salty Beans

brilliant.

I just learned how to stand on my foot right so I can hit the nerve that makes your foot start moving back and forth :D but I like your way better.

Paul Marossy

Cool idea. Just a dumb question, though: why? Is it because you don't like it starting out in the high position?

gulliver

Quote from: Paul Marossy on February 27, 2006, 11:10:57 AM
Cool idea. Just a dumb question, though: why? Is it because you don't like it starting out in the high position?

I've been meaning to make a clip, but I've been too busy. The ideas is to adjust it as to keep the tone useable in the default position, so if you're playing without pressing the pedal, it's a nasal midrange tone rather than being overly muffled. Then, as I play each note, I tap the wah wah through the sweet spot accentuating each note. The spring action provides a fast reset to the default position for the next note. Faster and more accurate than without the mod.

The effect is more subtle than your typical wah sound, but much faster. I found that I can use it so fast that I'm beating the note envelope and have trained myself to keep the pedal depressed longer and retract it just before the next note. This sounds much more musical.

I just ordered the components to try to tame the pedal even more. I want it to sound more like an amp with really rounded notes. I'm trying to make it NOT sound like a wah wah.

petemoore

Why...cause after trying it...I'm not putting it back.
  Having an EZFind 'middle position, makes it possible to adjust to your perfect %^&*ed wah sound, and predictably hit exactly that position every time, no toe down squeals, no toe up mud...much easier to use it.
  Same goes for my Wah case made into SS PHaser 'accelerator'...toe down is 'concentric circle warble..too fast' toe up is so slow it's hard to tell a phaser's on, an 'EZ Find middle' spring system makes this treadle pedal an 'EZ to use very well' item also, a marked improvement in application/usage...cool too.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Jered

"no toe down squeals, no toe up mud"
      You can get rid of the squeeals and the mud and have a wah that sounds great throughout its entire range. Lots of sites on the web addressing these issues.
  Jered

vanessa

Is that not what 'Q' mods and trying different sweep values are for?

gulliver

Quote from: Jered on February 27, 2006, 10:04:39 PM
   "no toe down squeals, no toe up mud"
      You can get rid of the squeeals and the mud and have a wah that sounds great throughout its entire range. Lots of sites on the web addressing these issues.
  Jered

With this mod, you're shortening the range to just the sweet spot, and spring loading it for faster movement back to the starting point, which is never very far away. It's not meant to be a revolution in wah technology, just a way to achieve faster, more accurate action with a more subtle effect.

Paul Marossy

Thanks for explaining that gulliver. I get it now.

burnt fingers

Cool idea.  I may have to have a crack at that now.  It's a good excuse to buy a used crybaby.

Scott
Rock and Roll does not take a vacation!!

www.rockguitarlife.com
My Music