News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

18v DS-1?

Started by Guitar Toad, February 28, 2006, 02:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guitar Toad

What about converting a DS-1's to 18 volts? Would it be as simple as adding a battery snap and putting the 9v's in series?

How do you think that would sound? I'm guessing that it would smooth out the distortion a bit. Is that right?
I'm not gonna do it. Just wondering how it would affect it's distortion. Mines been modded and already sounds really good.

It's more a curiosity since I read that converting a pedal to 18v can tame wild distortion if needed.

gulliver

If you have a wall wart with adjustable voltage, it will be a 2 second mod. I think I have one and will give it a try if you don't beat me to it.

Guitar Toad

I don't have a wall wart. I'll have to get one. I'll standby for the results of your 2 second mod. :)

petemoore

I don't know, I though my DS-1 has 16v capacitors in it.
  Might be easier to replace these before applying 18v.
  I'd think if at all, the noticable bit'd be between 9v to 12v, but actually I don't think that either. Oa @9v works good on guitar signal, getting it up to diode clipping level.
  These are why I like my alarm brick DC battery, it goes up to around 15v. I just take the circuit in Q, check caps for 16v, hook it on that battery to compare to the 8v-9v ones, if you can't tell a difference between a stail 8v battery and a fresh 9v, chances are no difference noticed between 9v and 12v...BWKnows.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.