GGG Marshall Guv'nor - Build Report

Started by Bucksears, March 02, 2006, 12:52:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TryingToDo613

I couldn't get my dr. boogie to sound anything but thin and yucky. I checked it and checked it too and all the trannies were biased fine if I remember right, but it just didn't sound good. Anyone have a link to the layout? I'd like to open it back up again and see if I can find the glitch. I don't know where the schem and layout are, assuming there are only one of each out there to begin with.

Bucksears

I have the parts layout at my site, linky here:
http://www.4thlevelmedia.com/stompboxes.html

I'll check with Electrictabs and see if I can post the schem too.

Thanks,
- Buck

ranchak

mojotron, how did you wire the 5k pot that replaces R1? Thanks, Ron

mojotron

Quote from: ranchak on March 25, 2007, 04:36:30 PM
mojotron, how did you wire the 5k pot that replaces R1? Thanks, Ron
Hope this helps ya Ron.
--
Mike

ranchak

Mike thanks. I'll give that a try. Have you tried "the ugly" mod posted here? I'm thinking about trying switching the leds in/out or between led/diodes. I'd like to be able to get that scooped chunky sound (Vox), but it's a bit hard with this pedal. Sounds great for solos. I might try a Dr. Boogey.

sonic tooth

i posted some days ago my problems about my guv'nor...
you're lucky guys or i'm a mess! here's my project

well, if you find some mistake, please let me know.
the wiring is right on the bottom... yes the bass pot is reverse, i changed.
what's the problem with mine?
the volume goes down regularly cyclical for about two seconds, then this tremolo effects
go faster for a second and disappear.
the sound is very marshally, like a marshall drive channel.
but i didn't find the cause of this volume changes.

see my previuos topic:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=55246.msg424518#msg424518
sabbanadica!

mojotron

Quote from: ranchak on March 25, 2007, 11:56:11 PM
Mike thanks. I'll give that a try. Have you tried "the ugly" mod posted here? I'm thinking about trying switching the leds in/out or between led/diodes. I'd like to be able to get that scooped chunky sound (Vox), but it's a bit hard with this pedal. Sounds great for solos. I might try a Dr. Boogey.

I have run my Guv'nor with all of the mods I mentioned for a long time - it's really a different pedal with them, but you can switch them in/out.

ranchak

mojotron, are you using a battery or a power supply. What's your battery/power supply reading?

ranchak

I'm sorry, I meant to post my previous message to sonictooth not mojotron.

sonic tooth

to ranchank:
i tried it with a 9v battery
and with an AC/DC adapter at 9v and 7,5v...
in both modes there are no changes.

there is no noise in both cases...
in my other home made distortion-fuzz units i hear a soft hiss with the adapter
so i use 9v batteries.
do you think i have to test voltages in some place?

when the gain is low (at 7-8 o'clock) the volume goes down only when i play a bit harder!
sabbanadica!

ranchak

sonictooth, I had a similar problem with the Rebote 2.5, but my problem was power orientated. It would would fine and then would act up. Here I needed a steady voltage supply. Are you sure you installed the leds/diodes properly? If you want take voltage readings on your opamp and I will do the same and maybe this will help you trouble shoot your way through it. Also have you used an audio probe? This works great for helping in situations like this. Sometimes you'll find that you have made one small mistake and your brain keeps seeing it the way "it should be" not the way it is. An audio probe will determine the are where you loose signal and then you can look for bad soldering, incorrect/missing component, cap orientated incorrectly, etc. Which layout did you use. It looks to me like you have both sides of your lower diode going to ground?