lhx2 marshall sim sound clips

Started by tomwarrior, March 04, 2006, 10:54:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomwarrior

this is a quick clip using the lhx2 marshall sim(non-cab out) into a bbe462 direct to the soundcard. i used a mesa cab sim from guitar rig and added some compression and reverb. gain is set at 12:00, pressence at 2:00, tonestack bypassed. im sure i could make it sound better, but like i said, this is just a quick clip. comments encouraged. thanks.---tom

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=261043
sound is subjective.

tomwarrior

no comments? this was a hot topic last month. weird.---tom
sound is subjective.

kusi

hi tom,

sounds great :) i`m building the LHX2 fender sim at the moment. have you ever playd the marshall-sim in a normal amplifier as stompbox? how do this sound? (without the speaker-sim)

thanks and greetings from switzerland,
KHE

MartyMart

Sounds great Tom !
I built one last month ( when it was a hot topic! ) but have since been using/building some other
Jfet amp sims from original schematics, with better results.
I think when this is built with the corresponding speaker sim section, it's going to be better, but
I cant quite face the 11 more opamps !!
It sounds quite similar to yours, through the ROG condor cab sim

Nice :D

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

tomwarrior

kusi,
it actually sounds better to me through an amp. real convincing. thats why i bypassed the tonestack. it can be very peircing bright, but if you roll the treble back on your amp it sounds great. very articulate. one of the problems i have going into an amp is it will osilate when you turn up the amp very loud. switzerland rocks. the song in the clip is celtic frost. they are from switzerland.

martymart,
i built the lhx2 cab sim without all the filters and it totaly killed the mojo going into an amp. seems like it needs the peircing treble output which the cab sim elimanates. what are/have you built with better results? please share some schematics/sound clips.
sound is subjective.

MartyMart

Quote from: tomwarrior on March 05, 2006, 12:41:02 PM
martymart,
i built the lhx2 cab sim without all the filters and it totaly killed the mojo going into an amp. seems like it needs the peircing treble output which the cab sim elimanates. what are/have you built with better results? please share some schematics/sound clips.

Well, I'm not saying that it's "bad" at all, I have a similar tone to you and it does work into an amp
quite nicely.
What I personally prefer is :
Thunderchief
Eighteen ( though not as high gain )
My own "Classic 30" emu
My own "59 Bassman" driven with a TS-9, which is almost done.
Using the LHX2 amp sim section, with some treble rolled out into either amp/JMP1 or condor
does give a great "metal" tone .... for sure ... just wasn't quite my "cup of tea"
Mine is also lacking some bass end, even with bass control flat out.

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

tomwarrior

QuoteWell, I'm not saying that it's "bad"
i wasnt being defensive, i was just wondering what else i could build that could sound better. i wasnt too impressed with any of the marshall sounds on the rog websight. do you have any clips?---tom
sound is subjective.

MartyMart

Quote from: tomwarrior on March 05, 2006, 01:15:42 PM
QuoteWell, I'm not saying that it's "bad"
i wasnt being defensive, i was just wondering what else i could build that could sound better. i wasnt too impressed with any of the marshall sounds on the rog websight. do you have any clips?---tom

No probs, probably will get some time for that on tuesday, so stay tuned  :icon_wink:
Thunderchief is a monster, as is the "blackfire" and "Jfet Vulcan"
Here's a couple :
http://aronnelson.com/userfiles/Blackfire.mp3
http://aronnelson.com/userfiles/Fire%20starter%20OD.mp3

MM.

tomwarrior

wow, that blackface clip sounds like a dimed stack!!! i still prefer the sound of the lhx2(not a dis just personal prefence), but your blackface clip sounds much more fuller than mine. what did you use to record?---tom
sound is subjective.

MartyMart

Quote from: tomwarrior on March 05, 2006, 02:16:07 PM
wow, that blackface clip sounds like a dimed stack!!! i still prefer the sound of the lhx2(not a dis just personal prefence), but your blackface clip sounds much more fuller than mine. what did you use to record?---tom

Thanks, those two were through a "clean" JMP-1 to Logic pro, with just a touch of rverb added
All the "crunch" is the pedal.

MM.

tomwarrior

i re-recorded the song with a different settings on the marshall sim. i also re-housed it with just the controls i needed. i figured ide post if anybody was interested in building this. i love it!!! comments welcome. it is the first track on the link posted above.---tom
sound is subjective.