Anybody else anxiously waiting for the 4PDT stomp switch to be available?

Started by skiraly017, March 06, 2006, 05:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satch12879

Quote from: R.G. on March 07, 2006, 01:28:17 PM
At the risk of sounding a little silly - how come you don't use a $6 DPDT and two EA series latching relays at under $3. each?

Sounds a little cheaper than $40.

Not to sound like a douche - because people don't know how to use relays...
Passive sucks.

Progressive Sound, Ltd.
progressivesoundltd@yahoo.com

analogmike

The Knitter and Fujisoku are the same thing as far as I can tell. Not sure if just relabelled or made in two places.

These switches also come in 3pdt, they were the 1st 3pdt and were used in Way Huge and early Fulltone pedals. I have to replace them in Way Huge pedals a lot so I stock the 3pdt version. They are also small so can fit in some pedals that cannot otherwise be easily true bypassed. But these switches (small metal heads, optional rubber caps) do not hold up to stomping by foot. Andy Powell of Wishbone Ash would break his 4PDT switch on every tour, we replaced it with a 3PDT and relay and now it's fine.
DIY has unpleasant realities, such as that an operating soldering iron has two ends differing markedly in the degree of comfort with which they can be grasped. - J. Smith

mike  ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~   vintage guitar effects

http://www.analogman.com

skiraly017

Quote from: Satch12879 on March 07, 2006, 08:22:30 PMNot to sound like a douche - because people don't know how to use relays...

You don't sound like a douche and I don't know how to use relays, that's why I'm looking forward to the 4PDT.
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

nelson

At the risk of sounding a little silly - how come you don't use a $6 DPDT and two EA series latching relays at under $3. each?

Why not use a  $4 3PDT with millenium bypass?

Assuming its a standard 1 in 2 out stompbox.

Cheaper than the relays and simpler too.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

skiraly017

Quote from: nelson on March 08, 2006, 09:01:41 AM

Why not use a  $4 3PDT with millenium bypass?

Assuming its a standard 1 in 2 out stompbox.

Cheaper than the relays and simpler too.

It's not a 1 in 2 out box. It's a single PCB, two channel box.
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

R.G.

QuoteIf there's an "Idiot's Guide to Wiring Relays" I'll be more than happy to study it.
Well - there kinda is. You could look at
http://geofex.com/Article_Folders/relays/relays_for_switching_audio_signa.htm

And for some more info,
http://geofex.com/FX_images/relays2.gif
http://geofex.com/FX_images/ltchrly.gif

Then there's
http://www.geocities.com/transmogrifox/relay
for the use of a single coil latching relay.

Each relay, just like each transistor, may have a different pinout. So you MUST read the manufacturer's data sheet - you get that out of the machine you're staring at now by searching on a search engine. Beyond that, once you figure out what pin does what function, you wire it up just like you wire up a footswitch. The only added complexity is that you have t wire the coil up to do your switching. If by "Idiot's guide to wiring relays" you mean literally which wire goes where, there isn't - you need to look a the manufacturer's datasheet, then at the schematic and wire accordingly.

If you are AC adapter powered, you can simply turn a non-latching relay on and off by a mechanical switch that turns the coil on/off, plus a capacitor to keep the sudden switching out of the audio. If you are battery-only, you need to use one of the more complex latching relay setups so that the coil power doesn't eat your batteries holding the coil in.

QuoteIt's not a 1 in 2 out box. It's a single PCB, two channel box.
That makes it even better. The real huge advantage of a small relay like the EA series is that they are directly PCB mount and can be put right next to what they're switching on the PCB. Not running audio on wires all over the box is a major advantage in not having hum and oscillation.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

skiraly017

I read all that RG.

I didn't want to have to admit it here, but I can't read schematics.  :icon_redface:

R.G.

No need to be embarassed. I understand the problem, and we all start there.

But there's also no reason to live like that. There are many sources for "how to read schematics" learning on the web.

Here's the issue - if you don't learn to read schematics, you're just about topped out now in what you can ever do with electronics.

Schematics is the language of electronics. If you never learn the language, you're always going to be a tourist looking at the pictures. You will either give it up entirely because it's too much trouble, or you will soak it in through the skin over a period of years. The problem with the "soak it in" approach is that you will waste more of your time in little bits and pieces than learning it in a lump will cost you. Worse yet, you may never speak it well.

So - young man (person???),  you go to your room and don't come out until you can read schematics!    ;)

Seriously, you'll be amazed at how much better it gets.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

twabelljr

Yes, yes, yes. Do what it takes to understand schematics. They are indispensible. Troubleshooting without one is nearly impossible, and just guesswork at that point.
Shine On !!!

Joecool85

Nevermind the fact that schematics are easy to read.  Well, that is to say a well laid out schematic is easy to read.
Life is what you make it.
https://www.ssguitar.com

A.S.P.

Quote from: analogmike on March 07, 2006, 01:43:36 PM
we used to use those 4pdts, made by fujisoku but unreliable for stomping.

We now use relays like rg recommends.

But would use good 4pdts if available.

insert coin...
Analogue Signal Processing

skiraly017

Alex C

If you have the space, another way to "create" a 4PDT would be to put two DPDTs next to each other and somehow fasten the "stomp surfaces" together so they are depressed as one.  That's not very descriptive, so here's a diagram:

I don't know what would be best to secure the metal to the switches. Adhesive?  JB Weld?  It would have to be strong enough to endure stomping, but ideally it could be "undone" in order to remove one or both of the switches in the event of failure.

I suppose you could just put the switches next to each other and make sure you hit both each time you stomp.

Gladmarr

I keep posting this, but no one believes me.  This is the same switch pictured on the 1st page of this thread, it's $25 at Mouser.  http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler=displayproduct&lstdispproductid=321501   :'(

R.G.

QuoteThis is the same switch pictured on the 1st page of this thread, it's $25 at Mouser
Wow.

I'd still buy two EA-2 relays for $5.00 and run them both from a stompswitch of any kind. But that's just me.
R.G.

A.S.P.

not available anywhere, yet.

skiraly017

Quote from: Gladmarr on March 30, 2006, 12:24:27 AM
I keep posting this, but no one believes me.  This is the same switch pictured on the 1st page of this thread, it's $25 at Mouser.  http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler=displayproduct&lstdispproductid=321501   :'(

It's not that no one believes you. We're aware of the Alcoswitch. However, there have been some reliabilty issues with it since it's not a true stomp switch.

A.S.P.

A.S.P.

bancika

The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here