Reverse Log Pots In CryBaby Wah?

Started by Paul Marossy, March 16, 2006, 06:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Marossy

Anyone ever try sticking one in there? If so, what were the results of that?

calpolyengineer

Now I don't know for sure since I haven't tried it, but it seems like it would be the exact opposite of good.

As I'm completely sure you know, a wha operates as a variable frequency band-pass filter with the wha pot controlling the center frequency. As you also would know, frequency is logarithmic so each octave takes twice the frequency range of the previous. So if you used a reverse-log, I would think that your frequency sweep would be very spread out in the lower range and too tightly packed in the upper range. Now to me at least, that would be awful. But, then again, that is just how I think it would work and I could very easily be wrong.

I am guessing that you are asking because you have some lying around and want to put them to use, or you have a wah to play with. In either case just do it. It might turn out to be the best thing since they reinvented unsliced bread.

-Joe

-Joe

John Lyons

Well wait a second.

I've only build the colorsound inductorless wah (I like it) and the good tones are all in the last 25% of the rotation as with any wah. There are some good sounds that get too bunched up there with the 100K pot and the rockers sweep (the sweep is too fast)

If a Reverse audio pot has a slower resistance drop at the end of it's sweep then it should be goo for spreading out the sweet spot. No?
Now to find a 100K Reverse audio pot.

I eded up with a 100K linear pot with a 50k or less resistor wired across the outside lugs. So that make about a 50K pot. What this does is to make the higher frequencies start sooner in the rotation. I think I also actually sanded the carbon trace on the pot with 600 grit sandpaper as well to lower the resistance of the last 20% or so of the pots travel. Making a reverse audiop pot pretty much...
Still would like to get a stock pot to work this out without monkeying around with pots...
john
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

calpolyengineer

The way I see it, what you seek is a 100k log (not reverse log) pot to do that. A reverse log pot would cover the last 10% or so of the frequency with the last 40% of sweep. You would be rocking your foot like a child laborer sewing some Nikes, and wouldn't be getting much response out of it.

Most wahs, at least that I have seen, use a linear pot. I have seen some with log (the cry-baby for example), but I have yet to see a wah with a reverse log pot.

-Joe

Paul Marossy

Thanks for the info. I guess that makes sense. I have some reverse log pots lying around that I want to use in something, so I thought I would ask. The Schaller "Bow Wow Yoy Yoy" pedal uses one, but that's probably why that one works like it does. I tried using a regular wah pot in it, and it doesn't do much...  :icon_confused:

John Lyons

Ok, I think you may be right about this. I was looking at it backwards. he high freqs are when the wiper is closer to ground. So the log pot with it's center dip will be closer to ground and then slower in the end travel...I think...

Now I've I just had the wah back that I sold in order to try it....Next time I guess.

Thanks

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/